The Cost Of Eye Glasses

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
It's time I got me some good eyes, meaning eye glasses. I know that I will need bifocals most likely.

OK I can get the exam for free. I don't want plastic lenses yet I don't need the top of the line either.

What will I be looking at for just the bifocal lense and a modest frame? I actually have frames from 20 years ago and hope I can reuse them since they were great frames way back then.

Tia, Martin

Cash all that clad in and get you some nice glasses. I wear no line bifocals and they are great !! You can even get the kind that change into sunglasses outside and go back to clear inside. Your vision is a priority !!!!

I agree. I just need to know how to shop prices on a pair these days, since it's gonna cost me without vision coverage. There's so many on-line and local brick and mortar sellers it is confusing. martin

I always get 2 pairs , one that I really like with auto darkening and the cheaper one for everyday work . I find that the glass bi focal lens are too heavy and hurt my nose so I get the plastic . I tried the scratch protection really don't think it helps . The glasses seem to last me about 2 yrs and sometime the prescription will change anyway. Most don't recommend old frames unless they were really expensive and in like new condition also the price was not reduced that muchor at all.
I have also used glasses off the rack In situations that I did not need the bifocal and might suffer some damage from the work I was doing.
HH

I've been thinking about getting Lasik, right now I wear contacts which are great because you don't need special sunglasses, or have to worry about breaking glasses. They're cheap, disposable, and you don't even know you're wearing them. I know they make bifocal contacts as well. Might be worth looking into, it's so nice not having to wear glasses.

Thanks all. What general $$$ am I looking at without insurance help?

Without insurance it all depends on the frame, I know places like Lens Crafters always has special. For contact lenses you can get a 6 month supply for about $65 of 2 week disposables, but they generally last about a year since you can wear them for 3-4 weeks.

Just the lenses(glass type) then. Are they extreme in cost once the prescriptions there? i don't find any info online about that. Thanks.

Just the lenses(glass type) then. Are they extreme in cost once the prescriptions there? i don't find any info online about that. Thanks.

Go on LensCrafters.com I think you can price out frames with specific lenses. I seen they have a 40% off lens sale going on.

http://www.americasbest.com/store-list/mckinney-tx-75070/

2 pair for $69 for cheap frames you don't want, a little more gets you some nicer ones in good quality.
A bit more for lined bifocals, too, a few bucks more will get you progressives along with any other extras.
Add it all up and you can still get an indoor decent quality bifocals pair and some nice single vision sunglasses for way cheaper than most other places.

I had a girlfriend that was in this business and she told me about the incredible markups on frames and lenses at most normal stores.
If you knew what they actually cost wholesale you would be shocked.
The only bigger ripoff I know of in the health biz would be hearing aids.

Great information! Thanks. Getting my prescription on Friday and going from there. Thinking I will get one nice set for everyday, a second of cheaper ones for bumming around the house and one sports-frame pair for billiards, assuming the bifocal lenses won't get real pricy. Might as well enjoy all of my various travels. Four years of clad might just get it all ;-) martin

glasses

I found a site on the net you can get eyeglass ins benefit ins for about 16.00 a month. it saved me about 300.00 on my no line progressive lenses and new frame. its VSP, you can probally google it and check it out. no contract to stay for any length of time either

I need to get some insurance as well. I was getting an eye exam and year supply of contacts for like $125 so it wasn't a big deal, but prices have gone up since then. Ask if they will give u a free pair of contacts lenses to try (most places will), it's tough to go back to glasses once you get use to contacts. Before I always had issues wearing them under paintball goggles, welding mask, ski goggles, and when I wanted sunglasses I had to get expensive prescription once, now I can use whichever ones I want.

I went to America's Best as well. Exam and 2 pairs of glasses were somewhere under 200. I started with bifocals (reading and distance for driving) and hated them, they didn't do either well. I had to read with my chin up in the air in order to see through the little window. Yes they can reposition the window but I felt it would not be in a natural position- I want to look straight when I am reading.

They let me trade the bi's in for two separate pairs, one reading and one driving. I am happy with tgese and don't mind the two pair, I leave the distance glasses in my car.

Word of advice- get one piece plastic frames. I had the metal wire ones with the little pads that ride on your nose, they were constantly getting bent. The plastic frames are much friendlier on the nose and don't get bent up.

Glasses run about $300. I'm talking lenses. You can buy cheap lenses. But you get what you pay for. Better lenses don't scratch easy. You need to clean your lenses all the time or you might as well not be wearing glasses. The cheap stuff may not even have a proper UV coating. You may wind up ruining your eyes wearing some junk lenses. It's like the cheap sunglasses people buy and throw on the dash. The sun cooks the UV protection right off of those junk lenses. Hell the Chinese ones may not even have UV protection:shock:

My girlfriend just bought a couple pairs from online, spent less than 50, something like zenni optical.com if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great information! Thanks. Getting my prescription on Friday and going from there. Thinking I will get one nice set for everyday, a second of cheaper ones for bumming around the house and one sports-frame pair for billiards, assuming the bifocal lenses won't get real pricy. Might as well enjoy all of my various travels. Four years of clad might just get it all ;-) martin

Yo may want to look into this site. http://www.zennioptical.com My wife gets hers there because she losses them so often and does not want to pay big$$. You will need some info from the exam though. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom