strange penny

Bounder

My wife got this penny in change yesterday and neither of us have ever seen one like it before. I've got my wife looking at coins now. It is dated 2009 and shows Lincoln sitting on a log reading a book with an axe (or a metal detector) leaning against it. I suspect it has something to do with lincolns 200th birthday. Did the government mint these things or is it some sort of commemorative coin?

Attachments

• lincoln a.jpg
    lincoln a.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 283
  • lincoln b.jpg
    lincoln b.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 265
That is a MD and he is concerned the Father of MD!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

4 different penny designs were minted in 2009. I come across them in my change occasionally.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190110-090402_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190110-090402_Samsung Internet.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 260
That is a MD and he is concerned the Father of MD!

And he is sitting down and reading the manual he wrote on how to use the MD he invented.

His birthday is coming up so get ready for IL to celebrate MD !

In 2009, instead of Lincoln memorials, the government minted those. :D It's part of a 4 design series - all were minted in 2009 as a commemorative for his 200th birthday. They are common, minted for circulation. Here is a link to a site with the images of the 4 designs: Link :D

They must be pretty common. My wife poured out a little piggy bank of pennies and we found another one of him standing in front of a building obviously wondering if he should dig that signal or not.

I have found a few of that series while detecting. I always get a small thrill out of them, but they go right back into circulation; no biggie.

I did not know about Lincoln inventing the metal detector. Interesting stuff!
His first model was "The Abrahum". His top of the line model was the "Lincoln Continental". His machines had no discrimination. They were actually designed for finding CW relics. He built them by candlelight. Any Lincoln MD is worth big bucks to collectors. The ever-popular "Top Hat coils" are especially sought after.

I have found a few of that series while detecting. I always get a small thrill out of them, but they go right back into circulation; no biggie.

His first model was "The Abrahum". His top of the line model was the "Lincoln Continental". His machines had no discrimination. They were actually designed for finding CW relics. He built them by candlelight. Any Lincoln MD is worth big bucks to collectors. The ever-popular "Top Hat coils" are especially sought after.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Some fantastic research done here Blaise;). I think there is a couple of oldtimers still using those detectors. Funny thing about them is they excel on surface Zincolns. They also do well on tiny Iron with the small magnets tied behind the coils.:p Trapper

Back
Top Bottom