• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Why do they have to ruin every show I like?

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
I used to like watching American Ninja Warrior, and it had nothing to do with the womenz :p...OK, maybe a little.

I shut it off tonight, for good. They have to make a boohoo story about it, turning it into reality tv, telling everyone's life story, and the hard times they've faced. You'd think out of all the people on there, ONE of them wouldn't have some tear-jerking past, but nooooo....everyone has one. Must be a requirement to get on the show. Gee, I bet there's nobody here who's ever gone through a rough patch, huh?

Perhaps everyone should begin their finds post here by explaining how they grew-up having to have a pork chop ties around their neck, just so the dog would play with them, or had to turn their skivvies inside-out just to make it to wash day .

I went so far as getting on NBCs website, and telling them why I was done watching it.....I'm sure the problem will be rectified, post haste :laughing:

So, ANW I bid you adieu......

iu

I know exactly what you mean. I had a perfect childhood in the burbs, spoiled by 2 parents, never molestered, healthy and happy and I feel like these shows are trying to make me feel guilty about it. The Olympics have been doing the same thing. People are applauded for kicking heroin, how about the guy that never got addicted to begin with, where is his applause?

Years ago they did the same thing with the Olympics, everybody's life is an Horatio Alger story. (there's an old reference for you young-uns)
edit: I see Scooterjim beat me to the Olympics thing.

I guess "feelz" is what sells these days. Just another way to dumb-down society.

Well, I ain't buyin' or watching.

Said it before, I miss the days when men acted as such, as did women, and you could tell them apart. When you did something just plain wrong/immoral, you were called-out on it, not made excuses for and pitied because you're now a special snowflake.

There used to be what was called "abnormal", now it's just "acceptable".

We just have to accept it: We aren't the target demographic anymore. I'm too old for the advertisers to care what I think anymore, so they don't target programs to people my age. I think if you don't walk around with your eyes glued to your smart phone, traffic be damned, then you are probably too old also.

I'm stuck watching advertisements before and during even the yucktube videos I watch that don't even remotely apply to me. I don't drive, I don't smoke, and I have no desire to own a smart phone, yet they continually show me car ads, Chantix ads, and ads for the latest smartphone (just a complicated device to get calls from illegal Indian telemarketers, if you ask me).

Sorry, I'll go grump somewhere else for a while...

-- Tom

Wait a minute, it’s not normal to turn your underpants inside out, then front to back to get 4 or more days out of a pair???

Glad I don’t watch TV. Been 10+ years and I do not miss it one bit!

Men used to go through hardship as part of their lives every day. Not only did he do so, he kept it to himself and continued on his path. Was there a desperate need to be noticed and applauded for ones actions? No. Not only was it not needed, it was unwanted.

Since acting like a traditional man is being cut out of society at an alarming rate, we'll unfortunately see lots more of this transition to uni-sex emotion dolls...

We'll make a return eventually. Always happens when people stray too far from our natural positions.

Just keep shutting off the junk, stay away from social media, call these over-sensitive and super PC types on their cowardice, open doors for women and old folks and soldier on!! :D

Edited since I didn't see which sub-forum we were in...LOL

Last edited:
I don't watch reality TV much, it's mostly fake like a lot of news these days. But I wonder if they ever got around to talking about having to hike to school in 100 degree weather during a hurricane while pushing through 3 feet of snow up hill...(both ways). During, of course, the worst blizzard known to man. Or is today's equivalent..."We didn't have a Mercedes and I had to drive Mom's 2-year old BMW to school. It was blue and everyone knows I look better in summer colors. It was horrible!"? LOL :D

I still watch it. I just hit mute and do something else between runs. Some of the stories are inspirational. It just gets to be too much - like those 15 minute long ASPCA commercials.

Reality TV isn't! I can't watch any of it. It insults my intelligence.

Call me old fashioned, but what I really hate is all the "in your face" LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ garbage, as though it's "normal" and every family has one. I swear, no new show in the last few years is without at least one, and sometimes several.

Then there are the "revivals" of old shows, only now they are cast with "diverse" characters completely unlike the originals. They use all the same names, but the new characters are of different ethnicity and/or sex and/or sexual preference. Hollyweird takes a perfectly good premise and poignantly ruins it!

Anymore, I watch more retro TV than anything. Stuff from when shows were genuinely entertaining, or at least original, with decent morality.

JMHO, and worth what you paid for it.

We just have to accept it: We aren't the target demographic anymore. I'm too old for the advertisers to care what I think anymore, so they don't target programs to people my age. I think if you don't walk around with your eyes glued to your smart phone, traffic be damned, then you are probably too old also.

I'm stuck watching advertisements before and during even the yucktube videos I watch that don't even remotely apply to me. I don't drive, I don't smoke, and I have no desire to own a smart phone, yet they continually show me car ads, Chantix ads, and ads for the latest smartphone (just a complicated device to get calls from illegal Indian telemarketers, if you ask me).

Sorry, I'll go grump somewhere else for a while...

-- Tom

No we don't, turn it off. I have to really like a show to watch it, otherwise TV is simply background noise. Either way, stupid commercials get channel swapped.

LOL, let it out Tom, I came back here and made the OP before going to bed, it was my "end of the day" rant :lol:

Wait a minute, it’s not normal to turn your underpants inside out, then front to back to get 4 or more days out of a pair???

Glad I don’t watch TV. Been 10+ years and I do not miss it one bit!

I'm talking after wearing-out one end :D

I don't get much on my antenna, and sure not paying to watch garbage, so my next step would be no tv at all. Most of my watching is my $5 SprawlMart DVD collection.

Men used to go through hardship as part of their lives every day. Not only did he do so, he kept it to himself and continued on his path. Was there a desperate need to be noticed and applauded for ones actions? No. Not only was it not needed, it was unwanted.

Since acting like a traditional man is being cut out of society at an alarming rate, we'll unfortunately see lots more of this transition to uni-sex emotion dolls...

We'll make a return eventually. Always happens when people stray too far from our natural positions.

Just keep shutting off the junk, stay away from social media, call these over-sensitive and super PC types on their cowardice, open doors for women and old folks and soldier on!! :D

Edited since I didn't see which sub-forum we were in...LOL

That's what I was talking about when I said "men were men", it's part of being a man.....not if your designer shoes match your shin-high pants and man-purse.

Sure men are condemned, society doesn't want men, because men wouldn't put-up with the BS that happens these days. Sure be interesting to see out Founding Fathers reactions to todays world.

Everyone should be the same, act the same, think the same. The smart ones figure it out, and teach their kids not to believe the BS being taught in school, or they home school/private school.

LOL, I've had people (women, elderly, disabled) get mad at me for holding the door for them. Once they start their spiel, I just say "your welcome" and walk away.

I don't watch reality TV much, it's mostly fake like a lot of news these days. But I wonder if they ever got around to talking about having to hike to school in 100 degree weather during a hurricane while pushing through 3 feet of snow up hill...(both ways). During, of course, the worst blizzard known to man. Or is today's equivalent..."We didn't have a Mercedes and I had to drive Mom's 2-year old BMW to school. It was blue and everyone knows I look better in summer colors. It was horrible!"? LOL :D

Kids these days won't even ride the bus, parents have to drive them to school. I had a bud back north, well to do, his daughter was at "that age" where status was it. We were in my old truck one day, and saw her with her friends, so I laid on the horn, called her by name and kept telling her hello. :laughing: her dad thought it was funny, the girl, not so much.

I still watch it. I just hit mute and do something else between runs. Some of the stories are inspirational. It just gets to be too much - like those 15 minute long ASPCA commercials.

But....who's gonna save the snow leopards?

Reality TV isn't! I can't watch any of it. It insults my intelligence.

Call me old fashioned, but what I really hate is all the "in your face" LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ garbage, as though it's "normal" and every family has one. I swear, no new show in the last few years is without at least one, and sometimes several.

Then there are the "revivals" of old shows, only now they are cast with "diverse" characters completely unlike the originals. They use all the same names, but the new characters are of different ethnicity and/or sex and/or sexual preference. Hollyweird takes a perfectly good premise and poignantly ruins it!

Anymore, I watch more retro TV than anything. Stuff from when shows were genuinely entertaining, or at least original, with decent morality.

JMHO, and worth what you paid for it.

That's the thing, they figure "hey, if they're watching this, they're borderline zombies", they see the viewing public as having no intelligence. Otherwise they'd be watching/doing something else.

MeTV, lots of oldies....too bad my signal fades in/out :laughing::no:

I agree, our society is falling apart. It is time for good folks to stand up for the truth and right.It seems like there are so many people out there who want to force there garbage on everyone else you cant watch a sports game without it.

The sob stories are how the wife and I identify the different contestants on ANW.

Wife: Oh is this the guy who's mother was a drug addict and his father was in prison?

Me: Nah, this is the guy that lost his left arm in a run-away blender accident and a viewer donated his for a transplant.

Wife: Oh, ok.

My daughter-in-law babies my grandson soooo much. When I call her out on it she says she wants him to know it's ok to have feelings. :roll: I have enough granddaughters already. I want this one to grow up to be a man and not cry every time he doesn't get his way. Last time they were visiting I told him if he doesn't eat all of his dinner then he doesn't get dessert. He went and cried on the couch for 10 minutes and said, "You hurt my feelings". I said, "Yeah, too bad. This pie sure is good." He cried again. I guess I have no consideration for his delicate feelers.

The sob stories are how the wife and I identify the different contestants on ANW.

Wife: Oh is this the guy who's mother was a drug addict and his father was in prison?

Me: Nah, this is the guy that lost his left arm in a run-away blender accident and a viewer donated his for a transplant.

Wife: Oh, ok.

My daughter-in-law babies my grandson soooo much. When I call her out on it she says she wants him to know it's ok to have feelings. :roll: I have enough granddaughters already. I want this one to grow up to be a man and not cry every time he doesn't get his way. Last time they were visiting I told him if he doesn't eat all of his dinner then he doesn't get dessert. He went and cried on the couch for 10 minutes and said, "You hurt my feelings". I said, "Yeah, too bad. This pie sure is good." He cried again. I guess I have no consideration for his delicate feelers.

haha love it, bet that pie was good. I support your tactics. That cry till you get what you want stuff makes for crappy adults when they grow up. or rather when they fail to grow up.

I liked the original Ninja Warrior broadcast out of Japan. I just knew the network was not going to do it justice. I did try watching the first season. I really liked Deadliest Catch, but it almost seems scripted now with little story lines all over.

Back
Top Bottom