Bucket Lister: After thousands of clad quarters, I finally found a silver one!

No worries Skippy, that was some eye-opening info there.

Concerning melting silver US coin produced 1964 and earlier, I believe that would have been illegal, as they were still being minted and circulating. Later, it was illegal to melt any 90% silver US coinage between 1965-1967.

That would explain the hoarding, I guess... but only after 1967.

When I read your post, I wondered if that was the case before 1964. I couldn't find any laws or restrictions in place preventing people from melting down silver (heck, it as a common practice among silversmiths to use coin silver to create jewelry, silverware, silver bowls, etc. They'd often just use coin silver, add some pure to it, and sterling it up, too..

Maybe it was the lack of places to SELL your silver at value, because it was pretty much everywhere in 90% form...

I really don't know. It just seems absurd that the coins were in circulation, when they were worth 6x the value by melting them. So strange!

Of course, we say that about pennies, too... but that's only pre-1984. It's not like current pennies are being produced in 95% copper.

The whole thing is surreal. But, like I noted, silver isn't the hedge resister the "quarter for a gallon" thing makes it out to be. I'd heard that saying for YEARS, before I finally decided to look it up, and then I was blown away. It's amazing how stuff like that works. We all take things at face value (pun intended).

*laughs*
Yeah, that was a really good pun. :)

Skippy

Uh, never mind.

Skippy I'd like to save this info.

Scratch that on my big long commentary. Turns out I was using an INFLATION ADJUSTED CHART!

Turns out a quarter was actually worth close to a quarter. *Laughs*

I'll be over here, if you need anything else...

Attachments

• box of shame.jpg
    box of shame.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom