Beach Hunter ID Tips

Damon

Hello,
I recently got a Beach Hunter ID to take to Mexico and also for the lakes and Puget Sound beaches around my home. I have previously used the DFX, but I'm having a hard time figuring out this BHID.
I can't pinpoint very well with it, and I'm having trouble figuring out the trash signals from the good stuff. Is there anything besides the basic "quick start" to help me get this machine to do what I want?
I'm not sure how to get this balanced and I'd appreciate any tips or techniques you guys use to make it work so well for you.
Thanks!
Damon

I'm in the same boat so some of you guys give us a hand. I think it is a great machine, just need some swing time to learn it.

Heck I'm still learning mine as well. But I have been using it in the all metal mode more and more. It goes deeper and even though I dig a lot more trash, I am finding a lot more good finds that I would have missed in the disc mode. Think of it as a not so deep pulse machine.:roll::p:lol:

Beach hunter Id problems for me as well.

Hi guys:
Its very interesting to know this subject has come up, and hopfully can get some action going. Things have been very boring in this forum for me finding a subject of concern I can get some answers from my posts. I am very happy to find you people have the same machine as I do beach hunter ID. The one thing I hate on this one is that partial sound in disc. that the red light comes up with when the sound of yellow comes in mixed with red it is so frustrating for me. I don't know weather to dig or not, I have the same problem with my DFX it in occation drives me nuts with all those different noises it does. I sware it sound like a squerrel fight I have to mentally separate one sound from the other. It is not like my coinmaster 5000s2 it has one sound and with my prefered luck mode TR disc I have and still do pull out of the ground blessing after blessing with the trick since I bought her in 1982. I am planning to add to my arsenal of Garrett soon a gti 2500 apart of the Mark2 sea hunter I own. I just hope we solve this obstacle of the beach hunter it would be ashame we would have to sell ours in frustration without giving it a fighting chance. Hope you like my input even though I ain't much of a help. :( Ralph C. Del Rio

You have a great machine there, just take the time to learn it and you will be thrilled.

If you are hunting in the water I would dig everything except red, that is iron and mine was never wrong. yellow and red mixed is usually a bad target also but not always learn the different tones. I would dig yellow & green, green will usually be your coins & 925 silver and large pieces of alumiun like a soda can etc.

Get out of disc. mode and hunt in all metal mode, even though I sold mine and bought a ex/ cal. ll was not because I didn't like the machine. I had in less than a few month found 15 rings with it. Remember if you aren't digging nickles than you are going to miss the gold rings etc. When you have a red/yellow light mixed listen to the tone if it sounds broken and not solid its probably junk.

I felt the pin point on that machine was great, stay on the target when you switch to pin point go very very slow and it should work great. Also always make sure your batteries are fully charged. I was using rechargeable in mine with great success.

Dig everything until you get GOOD, then dig MOST everything. When you have a high confidence level you can walk over bottlecaps, pennies, and maybe some foil trash.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you and good luck.

I was wondering if I would use the "All metal" mode when hunting other than beaches or water. I'd like to try it out inland too, so that a friend of mine could use as we are planning to check out an old abandoned coal mining town in the foothills.
Any advice for using the BHID on dry land as well? I appreciate the tips so far, keep them coming!

-And nice finds, Jim!

I used mine on land it did pretty good. However I ran it in auto mode when hunting land because I was searching newer coins and not relics, so I didn't want all the iron and trash to show up.

It worked good however the areas I was searching were not old sites so I wasn't concerned with depth. Maybe someone else will jump in that has tried it for older coins.

Beach Hunter ID

After the first couple runs with the BH, I found working it in AM mode was the more productive in water. Disc out of the water. Another way is AM in water and toggle to disc for a tone id. The AM will reach about 50% deeper than disc, so at times you will get an AM read, and toggleing to disc will produce nothing in the way of sound, but may show a light. Solid reds are generally ferrous metals, yellows may be anything, you have to dig them, even if there is a occasional red light mixed in. The possibility of multiple targets being an inch or two apart will do that. Solid unbroken golds (I prefer using the word gold, instead of yellow cause that's where gold shows up at) is the $$ maker. dig them all, even though some zinc pennies and split shot sneak in there. Blues are usually coins, but can be other items as well. You will be amazed at the number of nickles you will find in the "gold" color. When you begin to scarf them up, the gold will follow. Intermittant chirping, crackling, unsteady unreliable in both directions should never be passed up. Those, are itty bitty fishooks, tiny bits of metal, or GOLD CHAINS. If it keeps going through the holes in your scoop and moving around on the bottom, chances are it's not a chain, and not worth the time. Split shot sinkers and earing backs are a pain. I might add as caviot that a small diamond earing can slip through the holes:wow: just as easily as split shot. As far as pinpointing with the BH, you really need to own a good scoop, preferably the size of a gallon can. Most of the time, you get it first try, so PP need not be an exact science. The difference between a hand scoop and a water scoop is like compareing a bee-bee gun to a ten guage shotgun. You only have to be reasonably close to hit the target. Balancing is not difficult, if you read the instructions. When you raise and lower the coil from the ground, there MAY be an increase or decrease in background noise you hear. I live in a mineral neutral area and have little problem getting it close to perfect. If you are in a highly mineralized area, iron rich, or salt, or black sand beaches, you will notice a major change in tones when you pump the coil. If there is a lot, you may want to err on the side of tone increasing while going up, but, the closest you can come to no change the better.
Land hunting. The machine works fairly well on land, but will become a burden cause of the weight. The biggest complaint by BH owners is the floaty coil. It is only semi weighted, and is so so in fresh water, but way to bouyant in ocean water. A coil weight compromise resulted in, a coil to light for water, and too heavy for land. Your BH came with a yellow hip mount rig. Learn to love it........Gil

Back
Top Bottom