front range colorado is it off limits?

nferona

I have been trying to gather information about where I can metal detect in the colorado mountains, it seems to me that every place or county I call tells me no.
If anybody has any information about where I can detect without breaking the law, please let me know. THANKS
I was planning a trip to colorado springs to go metal detecting I might have to change that if I cant md there.
any help would be great;)

Most mountain areas outside city limits are owned and operated by the National Forestry Service. From what I've heard and/or read, metal detecting on NFS property is perfectly fine.

As far as Colorado Springs, their Parks and Rec rules make no mention of not being able to metal detect, nor do they say no digging. It's one of those type of places where you go, and if someone hassles you, you just smile and move on. If you have called and someone told you no, ask if they can fax you or email you somewhere in the rules where it is written you cannot. Because otherwise, it's just some person with their own agenda telling you no.

I could be wrong regarding NFS land, but I have never heard anyone run off it, 'cuz in most instances on NFS land, you won't even see another person while you're there.

Also, many front range areas are "Open Space" parks. And from what I've been able to find, nearly every area and their "Open Space", it says in the rules things about tearing up vegetation etc, which would make one believe that digging is a no-no. They just don't want people digging up their trails, udnerstandbaly as people walk, ride, horseback along them daily. Unfortunately, I've never recieved a response from any county or city leadership in regards to open space parks. So if I see the rules for Open Space make me think no digging, I stay out of them.

Last edited:
NFS and BLM land is fair game for MDing and prospecting, unless it's a designated 'wilderness' area. You should also be aware there are parcels of private property included in NFS land so watch out for signs or mining claim stakes.

County 'open space' is generally off limits. Jefferson County, for instance, prohibits the removal of anything from the ground.

Back
Top Bottom