White's Customer Appreciation Decision...

iwhitey

I just purchased a White's MXT and have been thumbing through the customer appreciation flyer. I get $150 to spend, but I want two things that add up to more than what I get. One is a smaller coil and the other is a pinpointer.

I think my $150 would be better used for a coil, but which one? I've narrowed it down to the 5.3 Eclipse or the Eclipse 4 X 6 Shooter DD. I like the idea of a trashy area coil, but what is the difference between the two?

Also, I think I want a pinpointer, but what is the Bullseye 120mm like? Is it worth the $120 or should I try and find another one possibly cheaper?

A pinpointer is a "must have" for metal detecting but I would recommend one other than the bullseye. I bought a bullseye 140mm and after 2 weeks the switch went on it. I hear time and time again on this forum about Bullseye pinpointers having bad switches. I now have a Vibra Probe and love it.
HH

That's the first time I seen a post about a bad switch. Maybe it's jus' 'cause I don't have a lot of time to log on.
Anyway...
My wife and I both never hunt without our White's PPs, but the switch finally went on hers after 3 years of all-terrain use and abuse (I've never had a problem with mine and I'm WAY rougher with mine than she is with hers).
Not a big deal 'cause ya gotta remember... nothing lasts forever (and we're not gentle with 'em either)... especially anything you buy now-a-days.
You can buy a pack of 5 replacement switches at Radio Shack for a couple bucks and replace it yourself very easily... unless you're jus' too cheap or lazy... or would rather put down Whites' pruducts.
... and tighten your screws, bolts an' nuts once in a while as a preventive maintainance on anything that's screwed or bolted together.
Take care of it... it takes care of you.

Attachments

• Pinpointers.jpg
    Pinpointers.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 236
Your absolutely right Krom. Without a little PM on your equipment from time to time, it could come back to bite you in the keester ;)

Whitey,

I am also a new MXT user. 

With your $150, I suggest you get a coil. It takes like 2 weeks to get it, and thats 2 weeks too long to go without a pinpointer.

My advice is use the $150 for a coil, and buy a pinpointer. Only because thats too long to wait. By the way, I have 2 of the 140mm's, for a month now without one bit of trouble. 

As for which coil.  I have heard good things about them both. After much reading and contemplating, I am going to order the Eclipse shooter DD.4x6. ( IF TONY WOULD EVER CHECK HIS MESSAGES) I belong to a Whites forum where that very question was posted. About 80% of the replies was to get the 4x6.

I hunt trash areas also, and from what I've read, thats my best choice.

Either coil will be good.  Good reviews on them both.   Good luck. :grin:

You'll end up getting 1/2 of the people saying the 5.3, and 1/2 saying the 4x6.

I've got the M6, and went with the 5.3. Runs a lot quieter then the stock.

jerster said:
You'll end up getting 1/2 of the people saying the 5.3, and 1/2 saying the 4x6. 

I've got the M6, and went with the 5.3.  Runs a lot quieter then the stock. 

I had them both (at the same time) for two months. At the end of my evaluation, I sold the 5.3 and kept the 4X6. Why?

1. The 5.3 TID was a smidgeon better than the 4X6 (concentrics are usually a bit better in this regard).

2. The 5.3 had a slight edge in depth for the same gain setting.

3. In our mineralized soil, I could run the 4X6 at a higher gain setting and still have a fairly stable threshold thus nullifying the slight depth edge of the 5.3.

4. I could get much closer to chain link fences and playground equipment with the 4X6 than with the 5.3.

5. Both coils were excellent in target separation.

6. The 4x6, being a DD design was superior in the wet salt beach sands (though the MXT is not really a good machine for this type of use).

7. Didn't need both coils since they had highly overlapped capabilities, so one had to go.

For me, my kinds of hunts and my local ground, the 4x6 was a slightly better match. :yes:

Other's mileage may vary.

I'm with ya Rudy - soil isn't that mineralized around these parts and I don't see wet salt sand beaches unless I travel a thousand miles -- so 5.3 for me.

A pinpointer is a "GOTTA HAVE" piece of equipment. A smaller coil is maybe "gotta have" gear. I hope I helped narrow your choice. :P..Gil

Back
Top Bottom