Upgrading to new detector advice

iwhitey

Hi all,
I'm new to the world of detecting and I'm trying to read all I can. I'm 38 years old and live with my wife and two daughters in Spencerport, NY. I've always wanted a metal detector but just never seemed to be able to find the time to research and get one. Beside's, everyone I've told about it has always said "You want a what? Are you turning into an old man or something?". I bet some of you have heard something like that before.

I recently found an old White's Coinmaster 4/DB at a garage sale for $30 and bought it. Now I'm hooked. Well, I should say I'm hooked only when my 10 year old daughter "allows" me to use it. For some reason she thinks it's hers and every time I try and use it she insists on using it herself. However, I have gotten some time in and I really enjoy it. So far we have found a rusted hunk of sheet metal, a quarter, 3 pennies, a grease fitting, a garden hose spout and two Matchbox cars.

I'm now looking for advice on a mid-level detector. I think if I'm going to spend the money, I want to get something beyond the entry level detectors. The Coinmaster is nice, but it's a bit short for me and I find myself stooping over even at it's full length. I'm 6'1". I'm going to keep the Coinmaster so that my daughter and I can hunt together.

I'm going to scour the forums for advice, but do any of you have suggestions for a mid-level detector? I don't mind spending $500 - $700 for a good one.

Thanks and I look forward to spending some time here.

Mark

Re: New member needs advice

Hi Mark. I would look at the Minelab Xterra's series or the Whites MXT. I sell both of them and have used them all. You can get a tall man rod with the MXT to help since you're a bit taller. If you'd like to discuss this further give me a call or send me a message. The Garrett 1500 is another detector to consider in that price range. You can check most of them out on my site. If you need any other help please let me know. :yes:
Tony

First off, welcome to the forum Mark. Glad to have you here with us. This is a great group of people, and any questions you may have, I'm quite sure you will find the answer to it here. You can't go wrong with Tony. He has been a big help to a lot of people here, and I'm sure he will be able to help you as well. :yes:

Hi Mark, Looks like Tony has you on the right track. Good luck

Welcome Mark.

Bah detecting ain't for old people. I was swinging a detector in my 20's and I'll be 50 in 2 months. The only difference now is I don't go out for more than an hour when its 100 degrees or higher out. :P

Welcome to the forum Mark. There are good mid level detectors made by all major brands be sure to stay with them.

hi mark cool to see two more getting the detecting bug good luck to you and your daughter :grin:

welcome.all the major companies make good detectors.first think of the kind of hunting you would be doing.if its mostly coins Garrett ace 250 is getting all kinds of great reviews they say it is a coin vacuum.the gtp 1350 i have heard is good also.i use mostly a tesoro cortes but do have some others i use.take your time and read all you can on the models you are interested in and ask a lot of questions.remember the only dumb question is the one not asked.iam sure there are dealears on this fourm and others that will steer you in the right direction.and detecting is not for old men iam 60 and i started in 1972.good luck on your choice.

Welcome Mark. That Coinmaster 4DB sounds familiar to me..
You are never too old unless you can't get out. 66 and love it,especially the water detecting.
pop

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm and advice. I've narrowed my choices down to the White's MXT or the Garrett 1500, thanks to the advice from Tony (I'll be calling with my order soon).

I keep going back and forth between them but I think I'm leaning towards the White's. They have an additional rod I can buy so I won't be stooped over when I'm using it. That won't be much good for my daughter, but I can just let her use the 4/DB.

We've agreed that whatever we find during our hunts will be used to eventually buy another, better detector for her to use. Based on our finds to date, we have a LOT of hunting to do.

Hi Mark just wondering if you ever hunted the tow or foot paths on the Erie canal and how you made out?

Regarding the Erie canal Tow Path - I haven't had a chance to go there to hunt yet, but I plan to as soon as my new White's MXT arrives (hopefully tomorrow). It's only about 5 miles from my house so it's a no brainer. That, Durand Eastman Beach and some local parks are on top of my list. Just to brag a little, a few years and several pounds ago, I rode my bicycle from Rochester to Albany (about 260 miles) and used as much of the trail as I could. Thinking back on it, there are a TON of places along that trail to hunt. Someone could probably spend most of their life searching the whole thing.

By the way, my daughter and I have agreed to save all our finds to buy her an Ace 250. It helps to give her and I a goal to look forward to. Thanks again everyone.

A good hearty welcome to Mark,from all of us here in the UK.Hope you stay in this forum.I spent days looking at a lot of forums and couldnt find one better than this one.its so user friendly and the people are just great

Welcome to the Forum Mark

Your choices are many in finding a good detector that suit's you. This Forum is very knowledgeable and will help all they can. Good luck on your choice. Let us know what your choice was. HH

Hi Mark, I reckon it's great that your daughter loves detecting like you! Gives you something to do together, and who knows where that"ll take you both, as she gets older! All the best to both of you. And, happy hunting!
Cheers Angela :grin:

Back
Top Bottom