Need some Advice...

Torakage

Greetings all,

I am at quandary what to do. I want to get into metal detecting to be outside more since I really do not do the whole sports thing anymore, since I am getting nagged about the extra pounds I have put on doing computer work over the past 10 years. But I am unsure If metal detecting will be what I am looking for.

Needless to say I have metal detected before. This was many years ago in my childhood. A neighbore was selling their property and they borrowed a detector to find anything their kids or I had lost in their back yard. Well I got to help and really liked it those couple days I got to help. That was many years ago about 20 so years but still remember the thrill of finding coins and other items we never knew was there in the ground we played and lived on.

But my problem is this I do not know if I should get a low priced detector or save up and get a good detector. What I'm am pondering is this, getting a Garrett Ace 250 or something around the 200 mark or saving up for a Minelab X-Terra 70. I have been reading and lurking on other metal detecting websites for about a month already but wondering if saving for a better machine will give me more insight on what I should buy, and expect, etc.

Thank you in advance for your time and input as well as it will be helpful from everything else I have read on these forums.

Welcome to the forums.
Any detector will find targets. More experienced detector users will find more and better targets but over time , the user of the better detector will win out. So , it's really a combination of detector , user , patience , perseverence and luck. (and a few other things like ground conditions.) You will first have to define what type of hunting you want to do and where you want to hunt such as coin hunting and the beach or land. This will help narrow down your decision. Generally speaking though , getting a more expensive detector will get you more depth , more finds and better finds overall. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance in your decision. :yes:
Thanks for joining up.

Thank You Tony for your reply. I have come to know you as a wealth of knowledge on these forums and it makes me a happy to know you have replied to my first message.

But anyways, I would probably doing a lot of playgrounds and plowed fields to start with, also a couple forested areas since I have friends who have properties up in the local mountains. No beaches but I guess sand play lots and a couple river/stream edge, these would be close to beach conditions wouldn't it? :P

Not sure about the type of ground out here other then this whole area is a flood plane, and basically is one big wash. We have more rocks then dirt in our ground.

What I want to find. Well not sure but I would probably be happy with just coins, but truly I would be happy finding anything. :)

So with the new informations and with my previous message, what would you all suggest?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think you have it right with the Garrett Ace 250, it's a great entry level unit that can find the goods. If you want to upgrade you could can get most of your money back. Go to the http://www.findmall.com/list.php?32
this is the Garrett forum, there are loads of people there swinging this unit and getting all the finds.

Good Luck!

I just started MDing myself. I can only say that I am already wanting to get a better detector. Not because the one I got is bad or anything. It is a great detector and cost $700.00 . My point is if you get the X-Terra 70 and get hooked, you may want a better unit still. So I say go with the Garrett Ace 250 if money is tight and see how it goes. I have heard it is a nice machine for the money.And I have read a lot of good things about the X-Terra 70. But i have to say Tony is a great help. And I have yet to make a purchase with him. Speaking of purchase, what is your top picks for a set of headphones from your websight Tony? Thanks again Tony.

The most popular are the Grey Ghost originals . The Killer B wasp are also excellent and not at the top of the dollar scale either. You can't beleive the difference until you use them.

First off, welcome to the forum Torakage. Good to have you here. I agree with the rest that the 250 might be the best thing to get your feet wet with. It will get you into the hobby for not that much money, and if you decide its not for you, your not out the high cost of one of the upper grade machines. Health wise, it has really made a difference with me. I'm 57, and the constant ups and downs of digging targets has really strengthend my legs. :yes:

Thank You Black Davy for reply I have not completely been pulled away from getting a Garrett Ace 250 yet it still on the top of my mind and might be what I will get and what ever I do get it will be from Tony's fine website. But still looking at my budget and other factors that I am mulling over.

Also thank you Grump for replying to my thread. Yeah my thoughts are like yours that if I get the Garrett Ace 250 that I will want to upgrade soon after buying it which I do a lot with other purchases I have done with other electronics. But from what I have read, on-line and the X-Terra 70 manual I am pretty sure this would be my upgrade and final detector unless there is something new coming out soon. And also thank you for bringing up head phones it is one of the other things I have been looking at other then a possibly a pinpointer.

Tony, again thank you for your replies to my thread. Yeah those Grey Ghosts Originals look sweet but so does the Killer B Wasps.

Again everyone, a big Thank You. You are the reasons why I am really glad I registered. A great community makes up for me being in the boonies.

hoser said:
First off, welcome to the forum Torakage. Good to have you here. I agree with the rest that the 250 might be the best thing to get your feet wet with. It will get you into the hobby for not that much money, and if you decide its not for you, your not out the high cost of one of the upper grade machines. Health wise, it has really made a difference with me. I'm 57, and the constant ups and downs of digging targets has really strengthend my legs. :yes:

Gah! Y'all post fast around these parts...cant even get a reply in :P

But thank you Hoser, and I do feel welcomed to the the forum my stay so far has been great. And I am pretty sure ill just get the Garrett 250 to start with due to a few other things that I have to take care of in the near future. (company lost our dental insurance due to cost...darn California insurance companies) But anyways yeah the moving about and getting out there is really what I am looking for so what ever I get I should be happy for a spell. And I could get a couple nice accessories to go with it that I wouldn't have to upgrade. :grin:

Hi Tora,

I replied to your PM.

The Ace 250 is a highly rated starter unit, but you may want to talk to some of the club members or hunters from your area before you buy anything.

Not all detectors excel in all ground conditions or all types of hunting (relics, coins, gold nuggets, ...). Having some local knowledge will help you avoid a mistake. This is particularly important if you decide you want to start with a top of the line machine.

When you ask someone about "what is the best detector", be prepared to get some biased opinions, but sift through it and you'll get some good advice.

The Ace 250 I have heard is a good reliable all around machine, I wouldn't put up allot of money until you find if this is for you.
I myself have had times where I wonder , why am I doing this, beside a nice bracelet, I have found about a dollar in change, thats it. But the bracelet, pretty much paid for my detector.
Due to health issues , I have only the stamina for a hour or two , here and there, I tried to be vigilant and ended up at the chiro's every other day almost.
I am a realist and don't want to see someone waste hard earned money on some thing they have questions about. In all, it gets you out and about, fresh air , walking, so there are allot of plus's. If thats somewhat the reason your doing it, go with something moderately price, till you find that your into it or not. And then go from there. Its easy to upgrade, downgrading is allot harder. It is just my advice. smg

Thanks SMG, your reply is basically what I am worried about due to that I am doing this to better my health but I am also not worried about spending the dead presidents to get the detector and then letting the machine sit I could always ebay it off if not but of course I hardly sell anything I have bought over the years.

Anyways as I said it is also a sorta rekindling of a childhood thrill that I am trying to do plus it has been one of those things I always said I was going to get one day but never did. Well it is about time I bought one is my thinking.

Thanks all again, great to be here with a great bunch like you all.

Hi again :grin: I just want to say that you should always follow your budget when it comes to the purchase of a detector. However , no matter what you buy whether its a low end detector all the way up to a high end detector , it has a value attached to it. Lets say you buy an Ace250 .... retail is 249.95 and most dealers add in a couple items bringing the retail value up to say 263.00. You pay 212.45 for it. After 6 months of using the detector you find out this isn't for you or you don't have the time ;whatever it may be you don't want the detector any more. You should be able to get around 160 to 175 for the detector. Subtract that from the 212.45 you paid and it cost you 37.45 to 52.45 to "rent" the detector for 6 months. Add in the fact that you should find at least 20.00 in coins and it now only cost you 17.45 to 32.45. So the risk isn't that much.
The same goes for higher priced detectors using the example above. You may "lose" a bit more but you may also find a bit more and the cost would be similar. There is also the fact that you may just find something more valuable than the detector itself in that time frame.
All in all , purchase a detector that fits your budget , go out and give it a good try and as I think most of us will agree , you'll be hooked on the hobby.
If you need any more help let me know. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom