Help searching for a specific type of detector.

Rutilehunter

Hello, I am completely new to the metal detecting world, I am actually a rockhound by nature. I recently had an idea and I was hoping I could get some help from you all. There is a specific mineral that I am going on a dig for in about 6 weeks and it is called rutile and it is a titanium dioxide crystal. The rutile typically forms in a quartz matrix at the mine I will be searching and can be anywhere from an inch to several feet thick. The material is sometimes easy to dig through and sometimes very hard and difficult. I have heard that metal detectors can pickup titanium and I was hoping you all could help me pick one out that might save me some back breaking labor trying to dig out my rutile. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many of the mid to higher end detectors (Minelab Explorer, Minelab Etrac, & minelab CTX) have integrated software that will enable you to scan a target and lock the target ID. Depending on the detector and/or settings, you could then ignore all other targets, listen for a unique audio signal or look at a unique visual signal to know when you have a desired target.

For example, take a sample specimen and scan it with the detector. The detector may give you an I.D. # for conductivity and I.D.# for ferrous content. You can then write down those numbers or lock in the target id so that when you are in the field, you only dig targets with the same or very close I.D.#'s.

Keep in mind, the mass of a target, target depth, and surrounding minerals can play havoc on the detectors ability to correctly I.D. a target.

Hello, I am completely new to the metal detecting world, I am actually a rockhound by nature. I recently had an idea and I was hoping I could get some help from you all. There is a specific mineral that I am going on a dig for in about 6 weeks and it is called rutile and it is a titanium dioxide crystal. The rutile typically forms in a quartz matrix at the mine I will be searching and can be anywhere from an inch to several feet thick. The material is sometimes easy to dig through and sometimes very hard and difficult. I have heard that metal detectors can pickup titanium and I was hoping you all could help me pick one out that might save me some back breaking labor trying to dig out my rutile. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best option is get a sample of it and run it past the detector to see where it hits at. On higher end detectors you can discriminate out the unwanted targets. How big is the target?

Could range anywhere from millimeter size to 6" crystals. Most of the ones i find around roughly 1.5" diameter.

Back
Top Bottom