Disillusioned

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I really want to tell my feelings but I can't.

I can say that I am in this hobby for peace and enjoyment. I am not getting rich one piece of silver or gold at a time. I enjoy the happiness I get by finding anything. A lead toy, a class ring I can return, a silver dime.

I am not better then anyone else nor am I out for riches. After my parents were killed my brothers were going through the house and found a silver baby spoon with my name on it, my birthdate and a clock with the hands positioned to the time I was born.

They sent it to me in Utah and one said I was the only son that was born with a silver spoon, you know where.

I get lucky, I know that. I find things others only dream of and I have no idea why. But I do not feel I am better. I am in this to keep active, share my knowledge and finds and have a part of my life that gives me joy.

i enjoy giving back, sharing my fortune with others and giving my honest advice and making one of a kind finds. I don't get mad or upset if anyone I am with finds more or better things than I do. I am happy for them.

Anyway, I have a lot to think about. Life is short. Having negative feelings about something isn't productive or good for ones health.

Friend, just be yourself, don't let anyone turn down your dreams and your enjoyment. Be happy.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Scuba , I look forward to your hunting reports and photos . Even if it's 4 pull tabs and 2 bottle caps .
This is not a race or a contest .
Like you it seems to be some kind of Theropy to most of us .
I think we are all very similar inside .
Happy hunting .
,Dew

You create your own luck. I appreciate your posts, your advice and your knowledge you have shared with me. I hope it makes you smile knowing that I have spent quite a few moonlight nights enjoying the peace and quiet of a particular spot that you unearthed a gold piece 2 decades ago. Keep staying active and do those things that give you joy.

Scuba, I personally enjoy your posts and live vicariously thru you in a sense. I’ve always been interested in diving since a boy and was hook on any Jacques Cousteau show I could watch or book I could get my dirty hands on. Life got in the way and as much as I wish I could scuba just isn’t something I can do at this time in my life. I have that good old Michigan blood in my veins even though I’m stuck down here in the concrete jungle. My heart is still snorkeling out in sturgeon bay or any northern river/creek I could get in.
I value your input on detectors because I don’t feel like your trying to sell them like others seem to try to do. It’s more a honest opinion on what you saw nothing more nothing less. As soon as I hear someone overly praise a MD with not one negative I lose faith in their opinion. That’s just not real world.
This sport is about getting out and leaving the world behind first and foremost. I think you get to do that more then most because of diving. The stuff you find a lot is due to location I’m sure. You have a lot less competition below the surface. You find some awesome stuff and I love to see it. Let’s me dream of the days when I will be able to get involved in diving and expand my version of this hobby.
Keep doing you man. None of the other stuff matters.

.^ what they said, Scuba... your an asset to this forum and I’ve always enjoyed your posts. Been happy when you’ve come back too. Hope your always here. Your a pro, btw! Look up to you, I do.

I think we all get a little disillusioned in life from time to time in life , i doubt anyone on here has had the life they envisioned when they were young. Though i have never had any super finds mostly clad and 1 silver ring , i had looked forward to retiring and being able to devote a lot more time to the hobby. I retired at the end of November and looking forward to lots of hunts this year. Detecting is my me time i get in the zone and the outside world pretty much goes away during that time. I also enjoy the online community on this forum , i have learned so much over the years on here , and get quite a few laughs as well. I have made a lot of friends from all over on here ,and even if we haven't met in person they have become part of my family. David L. Hyde

My whole post is about friendship. No pieces of silver or gold ring is worth losing a friendship over but I can't help the fact that I seem to get my coil over good things that others do not.

I also take plenty of chances knowing what my machine is trying to tell me and a lot of them pay off. What transpired lately makes me feel like selling all my equipment and finding another hobby. That way others do not think they are competing with me.

I won't make folks upset if I don't find spots they might have, or find a valuable target they might have.

When you find something that works for you and you are not allowed to enjoy just being out in the middle of nowhere without having to feel guilty of doing something wrong the enjoyment of the hobby is gone.

At least when I am underwater and doing my own thing, nobody is around to tell me I can't do something and they are not around when I find a target rich environment and get frustrated over my success.

I will figure this out. I just want to enjoy what life I have left and not let some materialistic trash put me in a position where I feel anger or resentment.

I must have missed something, but it seems like you need to take your own advice:

"Anyway, I have a lot to think about. Life is short. Having negative feelings about something isn't productive or good for ones health."

My whole post is about friendship. No pieces of silver or gold ring is worth losing a friendship over but I can't help the fact that I seem to get my coil over good things that others do not.

I also take plenty of chances knowing what my machine is trying to tell me and a lot of them pay off. What transpired lately makes me feel like selling all my equipment and finding another hobby. That way others do not think they are competing with me.

I won't make folks upset if I don't find spots they might have, or find a valuable target they might have.

When you find something that works for you and you are not allowed to enjoy just being out in the middle of nowhere without having to feel guilty of doing something wrong the enjoyment of the hobby is gone.

At least when I am underwater and doing my own thing, nobody is around to tell me I can't do something and they are not around when I find a target rich environment and get frustrated over my success.

I will figure this out. I just want to enjoy what life I have left and not let some materialistic trash put me in a position where I feel anger or resentment.
It might be fun and a hobby for you. But perhaps not your competition. Some guys I compete against are in their 20s and 30s trying to do this as a full-time job. No hope, no future... just trying to get the next piece of treasure before I do to put food on the table (also beer and smokes). Do you know who you are competing against and their circumstances? Perhaps knowing the other side will help ease the negative sentiments

Stay encouraged Scuba, those people who feel upset because you did better than them I feel sorry for because they seem to be basing their happiness on stuff. They might not realize there are millionaires out there who are not happy and no amount of them finding stuff will ever make them truly happy.

Your happiness comes from simply enjoying the hunt and getting exercise, and finding stuff is simply a nice bonus, but you don't allow not finding stuff take away your happiness.

I know of some people who are a lot better off than me financially, but they are discontent and empty feeling, I have learned that happiness can not be based on what you have and I am happy and content with what I do have because my happiness is not based on wealth.

So stay encouraged and remember you can't control others' negativity but you can control how you let it affect you.

......and you are right, thinking negative can affect your health, but being lighthearted and enjoying a good laugh can have a positive effect on your health.

Reminded me of the medical studies at the links in this post from another thread -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2908745&postcount=191

Just because there are unhappy people that want to mess with you enjoying your hobby, feel sorry for them, but don't let them control how you feel.

detecting for a living

It might be fun and a hobby for you. But perhaps not your competition. Some guys I compete against are in their 20s and 30s trying to do this as a full-time job. No hope, no future... just trying to get the next piece of treasure before I do to put food on the table (also beer and smokes). Do you know who you are competing against and their circumstances? Perhaps knowing the other side will help ease the negative sentiments

Never thought about that , rarely see anyone else detecting at the same time as i am. Most of the time it is just me and my dog and he has no expectations other than to go for a ride and to walk around. Never bothered to keep a tally of my finds till last year , only because i wanted to see how much better i did after retiring and being able to do longer hunts. I only really compete against my self and as long as i am having fun who cares if i haven't found anything worth showing off.

Stay motivated Scuba. You are the man! Your knowledge, and insight and have helped many, including me. I feel like you are one of the positive "role model" ish kinda ppl on the forum. When you're giving scuba safety instructions, tips etc ppl listen.

We like your posts Scuba. You bring good balance to a lot of the discussions here.

I know a guy, great guy, but he can't do anything without making a competition out of it. You can't just go hit a bucket of balls, shoot some hoops or ride a bike without someway of declaring a winner and if he is not the winner it ruins his whole day. It used to bother me but now I just laugh about it and let him win.

I enjoy your adventures in the river. I would never want to put in the time, training,risk, or money into a hobby that you have, but I think its cool how serious you are. I'm hoping when I retire I can get serious about detecting, but for me that would be hitting 2 or 3 parks a day instead of one.

i

I agree with prior replies. It’s amazing how some people miss the point of HOBBIES! I don’t think it should be about being the best or some kind of pi$$ing contest but about fun. I think for some people though, being successful in a hobby somehow helps them because it’s a way for them to say I am good at this because I suck at ______. I tend to enjoy things I am good at and is why I don’t play golf lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been here since 2015 and have seen some of the amazing things that you find, I may be jealous of others finds sometimes but like you I am always happy for any one that finds treasure. It's definitely not a competition just a really great hobby. You have a unique skill set in this hobby and I enjoy your posts, I hope you continue with it and it stays fun for you.

Don't let other people discourage you from detecting or posting about your finds. I enjoy seeing pictures of your finds and reading about them.

I hope you find the balance you're after. Given our shared love of diving, you've been the biggest wealth of info for me here. Heck, I haven't even had a chance yet to get your old Tiger Shark wet yet! Sunday will see that happen.

You're a wealth of knowledge, and no one could accuse you of being stingy with information.