Howdy: New guy from Texas

Tex47

Thanks Carol K for the warm welcome!

MD has been on my bucket list since I was a teenager when a friend's dad took us to Port Aransas, TX. The dad had a metal detector that I think he might have built. IIRC it used a transistor radio as the head unit (mid '60s). I thought that was so cool! I knew I'd have one some day.

So, some 50 years and countless hobbies later I finally pulled the trigger on one last night after seemingly endless agonizing shopping. An Ace 400 with accys. including carrot. My drop dead budget was $500, which I exceeded by a couple bucks. :D It should be here Friday. (Of course it's supposed to rain Friday.) As I live 3.5 hours from the gulf, my plan is dry land coin, jewelry, and relic hunting.

Anyhow, glad to be here.
See y'all, -Tex

Welcome twice over. Glad you made it to the hobby, you'll love it if you have any luck at all. Keep your head down and the coil to the soil. Best of luck. I live a few miles away in Palestine. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Old Story

Hello friends, joined a couple of days ago. Out for a while, now back in looking. I recall years ago I was at an old civil war fort site and got a great hit. So I am digging and digging and then found I was digging up a like a zillion billion watt TVA buried cable. Fond memories. badaboooom.

Welcome from the Texas Hill Country !! Where in Central Texas are you ? Maybe we can get together sometime for a hunt.

Hey thanks, y'all for the big welcome. I appreciate it.

I see that those of you who list your conquests have done very well for yourselves - I am impressed! I'm going to start out combing my 6 acres. Likely what I'll find is more oil filters & cans and Prince Albert cans like I've been finding above ground for the last 25 years. Oh, and barbwire. :roll: But, that'll get me used to my machine at least.

Terry, yeah you're up the road a little bit from me, about as far as Port A and all that is in a different direction. I live west of Austin. You have actual soil up there in E. Texas, lucky dog, you. :grin:

Pescadore, living on the lake I see how your name makes sense. Man, hunting the lake seems like it'd be juicy. Though I think I read somewhere that hunting on COE lakes is restricted to the water's edge or thereabouts? There's nothing here in N. Hays County but rocks and hard caliche with little patches of dirt here & there. Road right-of-ways could possibly turn up something...

Again, thanks to all of ya. This looks like a good place to be. :cool:

BuscaPlata - ¡Buena suerte que encuentra la plata! (I took Spanish in college, but no, I used an online translator there :lol: )

Yooper - I spent a good part of a summer on the UP. Dadgum near froze my hindquarters off on the 4th of July! Very nice up there though.

New Yorkers - I was at Lake Champlain/Adirondacks one summer. Beautiful!

I have driven through Pennsylvania and Illinois before. Again, very nice. As well as the deep south, eastern seaboard, as well as Tennessee (without Tennesseeans what would Texas history be like?).

Sorry if I missed anyone, but still, thanks!
-Tex

Back
Top Bottom