Mind blowing find

HullGuitars

Forum Supporter
I have been obsessed with vintage and historic hand tools for many years. I got my first hand plane when I was about 13 years old. Since then I have scoured the south almost daily for historically interesting tools. My interest are hand planes, handsaw's, spokeshaves, chisels, drawknives, and other things along those lines. I own almost 100 handplanes, and that collection is growing by the dozens every month.

I love old handsaw's, and have restored them regularly… But I don't know a whole lot about them. Just enough to get me in trouble. I don't actually own very many at all, but became interested in the past few months.

Me and my wife went to a few local antique shops this past Saturday, just like most Saturdays. I saw a beautiful backsaw and we were both very excited to find it. I had no idea what it was worth or even what it was, but I purchased it for the meager $10 asking price.
When I returned home I started doing a little research and within about 30 minutes I realized I had one of the rarest saws money can buy. I was very familiar with the brand, but had no idea that this medallion dated back to the 1840s when the company first started. I estimated the value at around $1200, but decided to go ahead and have it appraised. The appraiser only wanted $10 and a few dozen digital photographs.

Once I emailed him the photos and measurements he quickly typed up the appraisal and let me know that I was right on my assumption. His exact words were "you have one of the rarest and most valuable saws that disston made".
I could easily sell it today for $500-600, but if I held out for premium price it would bring around $1200. Five years ago it was only worth a few hundred dollars, so if the value has gotten that much higher in that short amount of time, I can only imagine what it will be worth five or 10 years from now.

I love finding antiques like this and rescuing them from a rusty death. I will hold onto the saw for a while… Maybe forever.....

I could care less about what it is worth, but the fact that my wife and I got to find something historically extraordinary together, and bring it where it is truly appreciated for what it is… That feeling and experience is priceless.
We are traveling to Atlanta for the next few weekends to hit some of the worlds biggest antique shows, and I'm sure I will get to experience this feeling many times in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 334
Thanks! One thought I didn't put in there… This was actually made by the man himself. "HENRY DISSTON"!!!! That would be like owning a car handmade by Henry Ford himself. Except this company was in business 75 years before Henry Ford was ever thought of. Another thing to put this in perspective… Any house made in the 1800s or early 1900s… The lumber was cut with one of his saws More than likely

I'll go see what vintage tools I still have in my storage locker. I may have about 3 of those saws. Just have to check the maker. May be newer? Got some vintage tools along with a shopsmith. Just never really looked up the tools. My storage lockers about 120 degrees right now:lol:

Real nice save there . My Dad was big into tools , as I am by profession . Carpenter by trade . My Dad had dozens of old hand planes , some worth quite a few bucks . He gave one to my Bro in law once for helping him out , and said it was worth about 800 bucks . He had a table saw that his Dad had , well he rebuilt it , had the motor windings rewound and re-painted the thing , it was a very heavy duty Delta saw . After he retired he got a part time job at a woodworking shop , probably just for the tool discounts , any way , a Delta rep was in the store one day so my Dad asked him some questions about the saw . The rep checked on the serial #s , and found that the saw was made before the company kept records of their tools being made . Its been quite a while back , Dad told me what the guy offered to buy it for but I really cant remember , so I won't even try to guess here but it was a pretty impressive price from what I remember . So , what happened to it you ask ? To be blunt about it , stupid , greedy assed family . When my dad died and things got so stupid , I told'em all shove it all up their butt's , I got along this long in life without it , I'll get along the rest of my life without it . I did get out with a few drawknives tho . Anyway , sorry to be so long winded , but like I said , that's a great find , and I know what you mean about the money , it's not always about the money .

Thanks guys!!! I am excited about it. Knowledge is power. I have seen thousands upon thousands of had planes, saws, and other tools..... they weren't worth their $5 asking price. Even most of the nicer planes and saws will bring nothing more than $50-100 AFTER having a pro tune them up. BUT if you know every hidden and hard to find detail.... you can pick out that diamond from under all that coal.
My generation and the next generation will drive the vintage hand tool prices through the roof. For example. A nice Stanley SW block plane used to be about $15 each and they were EVERYWHERE. Now they are $50-75 in decent shape. And the demand is so high its amazing. There are only so many in existence, and guys like me that are stock piling hundreds and thousands of antique tools will put an end to the supply after a few more years. JUST LIKE IN METAL DETECTING!!!! there are only so many silver coins in the ground. They aren't' being replenished.
In the past 5-8 years its become "cool" for professional woodworkers to switch to all hand tools. It is a very empowering feeling to take a piece of 175 year old history, that has been used by so many masters of the trade,.... and create new things with that tool. Its a high like using drugs. and more and more young woodworkers are becoming addicted to old tools.

Congratulations on the amazing find! I love to see a collector find a gem like that. Just curious, being a tool collector, are you familiar with the book "The Stanley Plane: A History And Descriptive Inventory"?

!!!!. I recently sold my great-great-grandfather's carpenter's chest, from the 19th century, to a couple pickers. It was full of old drills, handplanes, plumb bobs and saws, etc. $20.

I also sold a bow-top and flat top trunk from the 1800's, for $50. I saw them at their yard sale for $200 ea.

They weren't interested in my bottles, bitters and medicines from the late 19th century.

Back
Top Bottom