Digging weak signals (or all signal or anything but pure signals)

k2gleaner

Elite Member
I like to think of myself as a "dig it all" kind of guy. I do dig a lot of trash. However, if I'm in a trashy site, there's no way. I'm only digging what sounds solid and doesn't jump around a lot. Maybe one that gives a 'double-hit' but not if it warbles across 5 to 10 or 20 numbers on the AT Pro.

I guess it's also dependent on the time available to hunt, whether I think I'll be back to hit the spot again, how my knees are feeling, etc.

But I wonder about the "weak signals" - the coins and other good stuff that is just at the range of being detected but not necessarily ringing as true as they would if shallow.

What do I need to consider about deep targets? Obviously - "dig it all" is the safest bet, but if you can't possibly dig it all, then what?

I can relate as I dig areas that are somewhat trashy and I also use different factors as to if I might dig some iffy signals.

One is, like you mentioned, how long of a hunt I will be on that day. Another factor for me is if while on that hunt I have already dug some coins, because if I have already dug some coins I might be more likely to risk digging some iffy signals knowing it won't be an all trash hunt :lol: I know results can vary from hunt to hunt and location to location, and I know some hunts might have lean results, but I'm okay as long as it's not an all trash hunt :lol:

So basically I'm saying I might skip the iffy signals until after I have dug some coins first :lol: then I might try a few iffy signals and if all are just trash then go back to digging less iffy signals again, then if I get several more coins, then I might again try a few more iffy signals :lol:

I like to think of myself as a "dig it all" kind of guy. I do dig a lot of trash. However, if I'm in a trashy site, there's no way. I'm only digging what sounds solid and doesn't jump around a lot. Maybe one that gives a 'double-hit' but not if it warbles across 5 to 10 or 20 numbers on the AT Pro.

I guess it's also dependent on the time available to hunt, whether I think I'll be back to hit the spot again, how my knees are feeling, etc.

But I wonder about the "weak signals" - the coins and other good stuff that is just at the range of being detected but not necessarily ringing as true as they would if shallow.

What do I need to consider about deep targets? Obviously - "dig it all" is the safest bet, but if you can't possibly dig it all, then what?

Consider your location, first. For example, if you're in a fairly new park, pretty much all the 'weak' signals are going to be foil from gum wrappers, or detritus from under the original sod layer (such as found in a regular farmer's field). In such parks, it's rare for me to find anything of interest with weak signals, and after digging them for a couple of years, I now avoid them consistently.

There is ONE exception, but I never figured it out with the AT Pro (I now use the AT Max, and I can hear it on this machine). Some fine jewelry will ring with faint signals, until I slow down enough to really give the equipment a shot to catch it. Things like earrings, earring backs, and fine chains. I can find those with the AT Max, because when I go back over the signal, it'll firm up. Didn't really see/hear that with the AT Pro, though. You might check with some earrings, to see if you can tell a difference.

That's all I have to offer. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

Consider your location, first.......

Consider skippy's advice about location:

The question of yours seemed to be: "TID, TID, TID" . Eg./id.: "jumping around, and "weak vs strong". etc.... ,

Yet the solution is : Location location location. Right ?

I use the AT Pro, and never check the depth meter (not super accurate) and I check the VDI number only when deciding to chase a nickel signal (49-53) or eliminate a surface zincoln (75-76). What matters to me is consistent tone. Being primarily a coin hunter, nothing sounds better than a faint yet repeatable whisper of a high tone. Usually that means a deep silver dime is waiting for me. Varying tones and jumpy VDI over a target means that I will usually pass it up. Location does matter, as in an older yard say, 1920's or earlier, I will dig some numbers I usually don't, and have learned that Indian Head Cents do sound just like a zincoln, but are a deeper and thus proportionally quieter signal. Good luck on your detecting!

Consider skippy's advice about location:

The question of yours seemed to be: "TID, TID, TID" . Eg./id.: "jumping around, and "weak vs strong". etc.... ,

Yet the solution is : Location location location. Right ?

Everyone - I'm sorry I didn't get back to this thread that I started and I thank you for your input. I didn't quite word it properly - bc of my ADHD tendency to have so much swirling around up there in my noggin that my original question is left un-asked.

@Tom and @Skippy: yes, location is everything. I have rarely hunted parks although I want to more. Old farmhouse sites where a newer home sits nearby and the spot has been used as a farm yard with lots of aluminum and other junk around. The good stuff has to be there, though. Rarely has a poor or jumpy tone yielded something good for me. I RARELY go after the whispers, especially after striking out on shallower poor tones.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with those faint tones, the whispers.

My last hunt was so frustrating b/c I felt I wasn't getting the same tone on the opposite swing direction. Every single beep I got was followed by a poor tone on the backswing. It was crazy.

I have tried and tried to dig those iffy,, poor, or jumpy signals many times and have never had anything but trash or deep zincers. Now that Im hunting with a Nox 600 I Watched video of Detectorben demonstrating how he digs nice old coins with a Nox. It doesn't have to be a nox, I think his method would work on another tector if you have an all metal mode/button. You may wish to look up his vids. One of the guys here derected me to his videos on deep coins that look like trash signals. He shows how he checks the hit for coin or trash.

...I'm trying to figure out what to do with those faint tones, the whispers.

Again : The question is not about "faintness" and "whispers". The question is: Location location location.

There are places I've hunted where "whispers and faintness" can be the next seated quarter. And there are other location where "faintness and whispers" are likely to be the next deep corroded zinc. (cherry-picking @ blighted urban turf, or junky farm yards). Thus are routinely passed.

Farm yards (even when 200 yrs old) are not necessarily good places to hunt. The yards (back in the days before curb-side garbage can pickup) were used for garbage-drum burn locations. And the yesteryear people tossed out their trash for the chicken to pick at. Etc... Etc..... So IMHO, the only farm-yards worth going into "relic mindset" at is :

1) Those that were used as some sort of traveler stop-spot (eg.: a stage stop, where travelers came and went from). Because those people had the express purpose of carrying and using coins $$

2) A habitation that ceased all usage by 1900-ish. Once you pass 1900-ish, you enter into the "throw-away-era". And enter into the electrical era, auto/mechanization era, foil/aluminum, etc..... But if it's pre-1900, then even the junk is fun. :roll:

Thus again: Location location location

50% of the time I dig those high jumpy tones with my Nox but MOST of the time its just a rusty nail, wire or spike. But, those jumpy 40 to 10 to 30 VDI's have also given me gold and silver.

Steve

Again : The question is not about "faintness" and "whispers". The question is: Location location location.

There are places I've hunted where "whispers and faintness" can be the next seated quarter. And there are other location where "faintness and whispers" are likely to be the next deep corroded zinc. (cherry-picking @ blighted urban turf, or junky farm yards). Thus are routinely passed.

Farm yards (even when 200 yrs old) are not necessarily good places to hunt. The yards (back in the days before curb-side garbage can pickup) were used for garbage-drum burn locations. And the yesteryear people tossed out their trash for the chicken to pick at. Etc... Etc..... So IMHO, the only farm-yards worth going into "relic mindset" at is :

1) Those that were used as some sort of traveler stop-spot (eg.: a stage stop, where travelers came and went from). Because those people had the express purpose of carrying and using coins $$

2) A habitation that ceased all usage by 1900-ish. Once you pass 1900-ish, you enter into the "throw-away-era". And enter into the electrical era, auto/mechanization era, foil/aluminum, etc..... But if it's pre-1900, then even the junk is fun. :roll:

Gee I dunno Tom, sometimes I just feel like digging a few indians or largies, so I just wander aimlessly in the woods after a rock I threw over my shoulder while blindfolded. :laughing: Seems to work just as often as not:lol:

But yes location is very important, can't find whats never been there.

Gee I dunno Tom, sometimes I just feel like digging a few indians or largies, .....

You are cruel. Just plain cruel. You just HAD to go and do that, eh ? :?:

And yes, 200 yr. old farm yards on the east coast are riddled with large cents. But here on the west coast, they are riddled with farm junk cr*p :(

And yes, 200 yr. old farm yards on the east coast are riddled with large cents. But here on the west coast, they are riddled with farm junk cr*p :(

Sorry Tom but TP's jab was a good one!

Hey just gotta let them know that "right location" is really just anywhere in the north east there is enough room to swing a coil. :p

My last hunt was so frustrating b/c I felt I wasn't getting the same tone on the opposite swing direction. Every single beep I got was followed by a poor tone on the backswing. It was crazy.

Sounds like you are describing false signals from iron. Having your sensitivity set too high might be one part of the problem.
If you are on a deep coin target, it will almost always read a good tone back and forth. Maybe not a solid, consistent tone, though, but it should not just disappear or be only a low tone on the back swing. Some deep coins are tough, though. You won't hear those good tones both ways unless you swing very slowly...and then only if your machine is capable. Nearby junk metal can play masking tricks that some machines can figure out with the right settings, but other machines never would. So there's no perfect solution.
Here's what I recommend: Start with a lower sensitivity; maybe 3/4ths of full power. When you hear any faint high tones, you swing back and forth over that spot very slowly, and again from crossing angles. If you can pinpoint a target that way, dig it and see what it was. Do this many many times on many hunts, and develop "an ear" for the good targets, and "an arm" for swing speed. Increase sensitivity when you can, and are hoping for deeper good targets.
Then remember; there's always room for improvement, but perfection is unattainable. GL & HH!

I'm trying to figure out what to do with those faint tones, the whispers.

you dig them, because in my experience when they turn out not to be trash or false, they are usually something pretty good. Sounds like you really just need to go to a 20x20 spot with good potential and dig EVERYTHING(literally untill you hear no squeeks left, then go back with different settings and do it again, pay attention to what settings changed things for you or brought up those faint goodies. pay attention to what similar targets sounded like at different depths and orientations if you are lucky enough to catch that before you flip it out or around in the hole. My best site i have ever hunted targets were so deep that 2 people with 3 different machines found nearly nothing good the first 2 trips to the place. But we knew the history and knew stuff had to be there even if people had pounded it for years. The traffic and events that occurred there made it impossible not to be, especially in its very rural current location compared to what it was in the 1800s. But after figuring the site out and getting our settings perfect for the site, we started finding what we were were after. SO far to date the site has produced for me personally over 50 seated, over 100 indians, trimes, 2 centers, large cents, and even all sorts of canadian silver. My buddy has also pulled quite a few coins. But with out knowing what our machines were doing and what those type of signals sounded like we would have quit after a few attempts and never came back. Point being learn that machine better by digging every single thing in one spot, then you will understand the false signals next to big iron, the deep goodies, the trash and so on. Use all metal mode if your detector has it, it usually will get to those deeper targets better. Some program modes ignore these small signals sometimes for some reason in my experience.

And this is why I wanted to challenge myself and the AT Max at the alpine meadow mining camp townsite in Colorado. This townsite was essentially obliterated by the earliest 20th Century. Any subsequent use has been pretty much recreational, with subsequent mining activity very sporadic and focused, except for some minor claim maintenance work in accordance with the Mining Law of 1872, now pretty much overgrown like the rest of the meadow. For the majority of the ~115 years after obliteration, the usage has been by the hunting/shooting community. Hikers are mostly passing through on the higher ground and nearby road traffic going by for offroad equipment destruction opportunities. From a metal detecting perspective in the Rocky Mountain midcontinent, for mid to late 19th Century stuff, this is elephant country, providing opportunities for cultural findings from the earliest times of the Colorado mining camps.

That said, my first 3 hour reconnaisance hunt was pretty pathetic, but interesting. This IS location! It is trashy. The modern stuff ranged from shooting items to some foil and a "vintage" beavertail flattened beer can, all pretty much within 3" of the top of the dirt. The old stuff was ~6" or deeper, a testimonial to the ongoing silt sedimentation in the meadow drainage from the surrounding mined hillsides.

My question is why the AT Max is giving me high readings for items like rusty cast iron plate that is 6 to 8" in diameter, about 1/4" thick and below the soil surface about 8"? Like someone also remarked, it only reports VDI 70s to 90s range on the initial pass, but not on the backswing. I am trying to hunt mostly in Zero Mode w/ Iron Discrimination @ 38, max Sensitivity, Iron Audio off. Auto Ground Balance is around 90, so it is pretty mineralized soil. I will occasionally jump to All Metal w/ Iron Disc @ 20 and Iron Audio on when the grass mat is thick and the coil is forced to pass at around 6" over the soil surface.

Tom, interesting that you mention stage stops because I'm trying to secure permission to hunt on the grounds of one.

Sounds like you are describing false signals from iron. Having your sensitivity set too high might be one part of the problem...

Boom! That might be a big part of it. I have been running my sensitivity high lately.

k2gleaner

When I’ve dug the weak signals mostly it’s a rusty fn nail bit the Nox likes to high tone on ever so slightly, depending on how desperate I am I’ll dig it.

I love weak signals. But they must meet a few criteria before I will dig them.

1. They must be deep.
2. They must NOT move. It has to stay exactly in the same place
3. The signal must repeat, even if weak
4. The signal must remain basically the same when switching to zero discrimination.

I get excited when that happens. I have found many deep silver coins doing that.

Back
Top Bottom