Go Figure...

TNTGross

Elite Member
I was hunting a friend's yard when a fellow walked up to me and said he got a new detector but didn't know how to use it properly. He had the same one as me, Nox 800. I said sure. He invited me over to his place, a very nice home in the historic Avondale area. He broke out his Nox and I gave him a class.

Then, he invited me to hunt his lawn. I showed him a few more 'to-dos' as far as how to detect and we started swinging. First thing we/I found, was a cufflink button with an anchor. Then a 44 wheat and a 43 dime. It was hot and I needed to get going, so I let him keep the finds. He was thrilled with them.

Later, he sent me a pic of the cufflink button (first image) and told me his buddy thinks it may be from the Civil War era.

I did a little research and found the button and I think his buddy is right. SCOVILL Mf'g Co. WATERBURY : 1850-1865 (Second and third image of research cufflink.)

I have been wanting a good Civil War relic forever, and I just let it go.

Go figure...:laughing:

Attachments

• anchor button 04.jpg
    anchor button 04.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 391
  • anchor button 03.jpg
    anchor button 03.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 373
  • anchor button 02.jpg
    anchor button 02.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
No good deed goes unpunished I suppose, but just maybe you will be rewarded for your good deed with a nice CW relic before years end.
It was nice of you to take the time to help him and even nicer to leave your finds with him, good job!

No good deed goes unpunished I suppose, but just maybe you will be rewarded for your good deed with a nice CW relic before years end.
It was nice of you to take the time to help him and even nicer to leave your finds with him, good job!

The guy, Joey, was very nice and I had no issue or regrets letting him keep the finds. I just thought it was kinda funny and ironic how I have long searched for a Civil War relic, and though I found one, I let it slip through my fingers. Honestly, I am more than happy that I let it go, just so I can have this funny story. I am going to tell it often:lol:

Great that you helped him learn the machine. I have faith Karma will repay your deed.

Ken

Great that you helped him learn the machine. I have faith Karma will repay your deed.

Ken

Karma has been kinder to me than I could ask. I'm not worried about that. Even though I didn't end up with a CW button, I ended up with a great, funny, story. That's even better than a button:D

hope you directed him to this forum as well. I usally try to direct new detectors here because they have so many questions , than they might think of later.

wait until you find an old but fairly common name bottle, with a slight crack. throw it in a couple boxes of junk ones and take them to a bottle show. some friends of mine did that, with some of my junker ones then. just lunch money and entry fee money to go. sooooo a guy buys three boxes for 50 bucks whole lot take it all or none. ... they get thier entry and lunch. He reaches in and pulls out one soda and said you can keep all that !!!!.

the bottle was mine. it was a rare version of first run slug plate instead of production made molds. common bottle with a temporary mold piece with the name of soda company. in the book of Browns Savannah sodas it was the rarest. two known examples with a slug plate. one was mine... its in the guys not for sale at the shows display case. he turned down $3000 from another collector... even damaged. the non slugs are $15 bucks all day long. heck i even forgot the name. my buddies were bottle collectors, i just found a few things hanging with them. they did not notice the slug plate, and they had collections in the 10,000 to 100 thousand dollar range. one of the biggest bottle collectors in the U. S., another friend, did not see it in time, when the guy bought it. he would have paid me cash for it. the others had told me it was common, yea the name, not that first run bottle.

soooo I hope this makes you feel better. and when the "friends" and experts
realized this, they tried not to admit they missed something and only one had the fortitude to admit it to me. .

really could have used the money. know how you feel.

wait until you find an old but fairly common name bottle, with a slight crack. throw it in a couple boxes of junk ones and take them to a bottle show. some friends of mine did that, with some of my junker ones then. just lunch money and entry fee money to go. sooooo a guy buys three boxes for 50 bucks whole lot take it all or none. ... they get thier entry and lunch. He reaches in and pulls out one soda and said you can keep all that !!!!.

the bottle was mine. it was a rare version of first run slug plate instead of production made molds. common bottle with a temporary mold piece with the name of soda company. in the book of Browns Savannah sodas it was the rarest. two known examples with a slug plate. one was mine... its in the guys not for sale at the shows display case. he turned down $3000 from another collector... even damaged. the non slugs are $15 bucks all day long. heck i even forgot the name. my buddies were bottle collectors, i just found a few things hanging with them. they did not notice the slug plate, and they had collections in the 10,000 to 100 thousand dollar range. one of the biggest bottle collectors in the U. S., another friend, did not see it in time, when the guy bought it. he would have paid me cash for it. the others had told me it was common, yea the name, not that first run bottle.

soooo I hope this makes you feel better. and when the "friends" and experts
realized this, they tried not to admit they missed something and only one had the fortitude to admit it to me. .

really could have used the money. know how you feel.

whoooooooa, unreal!

The guy, Joey, was very nice and I had no issue or regrets letting him keep the finds. I just thought it was kinda funny and ironic how I have long searched for a Civil War relic, and though I found one, I let it slip through my fingers. Honestly, I am more than happy that I let it go, just so I can have this funny story. I am going to tell it often:lol:

It is... It's one you can look back on and laugh about for years to come!... Just not in front of your buddy. LOL

Well, at least you've got nice pictures of it. That's where it counts. If it was just going to sit in a box, what's the difference, right?

:)

Cheers!

That cleaned up AMAZINGLY well!

Oh no... My bad. The second and third button images are not of the cufflink that came out of the ground. It is the one in my research that dated it. I thought I mentioned that in the post. But it looks like I forgot to.

Sorry about that. I will correct that right now.

Back
Top Bottom