Can I hunt in the bahamas?

tomaine007

Ill be taking a cruise her very shortly (beginning of next month) and I was wondering if I can take my detector with me on the cruise and hunt the beaches in the Bahamas? I didnt see anything posted on line saying that you couldnt or shouldnt. So have any of you done that before? Jus:roll:t curious...Kind of figuring their would be some epics finds out there.

I am doing the cruise thing too and would want to know. One of the stops is one of those private islands in the Bahamas owned by the cruise company so I guess I would need to contact them.

ok i called carnival cruise directly and was told that metal detectors are allowed to be brought on board but they can not be used on the ship (who would do this?) They can be used at port only and that if its a public beach then there arent any issues, but if its a private beach its their experience that the owners have not been know to give permission which is required by law there. So they recommend dont go through the hassle and frustration just to be denied.("Makes the cruise less enjoyable" are the words she said...) Also if asked what you are looking for always say coins and rings...never say key words like "treasure" or "antiques", as local police have been known to issue a fine. The reason for this is there are a lot of spanish ships that have crashed near there and if theres any treasure recovered it belongs to the government. Some guy got 7 years of hard time in jail because he was caught removing treasure from a ship underwater. But anyways im going in july and im going to detect at nassau and also moon cay. Any one else going to be there at the beginning of june? Also as a side note, carnival cruise lists metal detectors as allowable items on their website, but I called and spoke to the cruise line just to be sure!

Also if asked what you are looking for always say coins and rings...never say key words like "treasure" or "antiques", as local police have been known to issue a fine. The reason for this is there are a lot of spanish ships that have crashed near there and if theres any treasure recovered it belongs to the government.

Don't you just love how governments have decided that anything anywheres belongs to them even though they dont even know its there or even exists?

tomainbe007

Dude - Thanks for the legwork! :good: I am cruising in July.:boat: I haven't decided which detector to take yet though. Do I go with the Fisher and have water/wet sand capability but have to take my monster & heavy stainless scoop OR do I go with my Tesoro or BH and stick to the dry sand? Decisions,decisons! :hmmm:

oh im going to be doing my share of that hunting as well but one way ill make money the other ill probably lose it, and im not talking about prostiutes...im more of a dinner and a movie guy..ha. For me ill be taking my E-Trac and be sticking to dry sand and along the tide line since they arent built to go crazy with the water. Im super excited. A well traveled beach would be amazing to find stuff on. Im hoping to come back with at least 6 rings, thats my goal anyways. Look for my post sometime around july 10th or 11th...:shock:

i just wouldn't venture far from the resort beaches and wouldn't hunt at night

we are only in port pretty much from like 9-5 on the days ill be searching. so ill be up real early in the am and hopefully hit the beaches up at exactly at 9 as well as stay there until it gets too crowded to swing. i hope to dig 50 targets.

Hey leave me some stuff will ya?! ;):lol:

ha we shall see, I got to get a new camera so I can post some pictures of what we find. Do you guys keep the rings or melt em down. Im not one to keep stuff...im more of a melt it down kind of guy. Gold is like 1500 bucks an ounce now a days!

permission

Its too bad you aren't actually staying at any of the resorts or you could actually call ahead and ask the resort staff. Still, there may be some public offices there you could call for info on the beaches you'll be near. It's not a huge island, they shouldn't be too tough to find.

the carnival cruise line said that the beaches around port are fine to hunt which are the main beaches and resorts...im hoping to get in there after a few weeks of high beach traffic...i know im excited...

cruising the Gulf

I've taken similar cruises. It was a blast. Unfortunately, I did not have an MD at the time - so no hunting for me. I ate way too much and was sick of food by Friday, hehe.

My experience of the beaches is that they were fairly moderately traveled. And in some areas quite packed. Good luck, I'm interested to know what you've found.

Back
Top Bottom