Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by NectarDetector View post
I can post a video swinging over a coin as fast as I want to and it will pick the target up.
Could you post the video please, i take it that it's a video of a live dig and not a test of a coin sitting on top of the ground.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ghound View post
Could you post the video please, i take it that it's a video of a live dig and not a test of a coin sitting on top of the ground.
Can do it either way just saying the 3030 isnt slow as people think it is... whether its on top ground or in the ground, you can still swing fast enough...listen if the 3030 was so slow, I wouldn't even own one!!!

I get maybe 4 hours a WEEK to hunt, if I had a "slow" machine I wouldn't make it out of a 10ft square area....lol

I can shoot the video, not a problem, but people act liek its slow as molasses, and it's not, the CTX is much faster than the etrac, an issue they worked towards resolving.

Whether i put a coin in the ground or on top of the ground, either way would show recovery speed and target ID.

Somehow I get the feeling you believe that a coin in the ground would be harder to detect for the 3030?

Just curious what your point of live dig vs on top ground would be? In both instances I wouldn't be going at a snails pace, ever lol

Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Supporter

I get it you need all the tools in the coin game.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:40 PM
Elite Member

CTX is faster than the Etrac for sure, and I can sweep fairly quickly in cleaner ground without any issues.. But on some of my trashier/iron infested sites, if I try sweeping quickly with the CTX like I swing the Deus I'll definitely miss some good targets. With the CTX my average swing speed is about 4 seconds from one side to the other. Thats pretty slow when compared to my Deus or ATPro.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by NectarDetector View post
Eh, if I'm being honest, a large bolt will sometimes ID as a silver quarter, even passing some initial tests, seems if it's large enough it fits all of the criteria on screen for a coin... for me, usually though there is more of a mixed tone that might make me think a coin is near iron, but still sounds like a coin....
Very deep medium to large square nail that is very bent running Ferrous coin is my nemesis. The very rare times that it repeats at two angles is where I dig that deep hole and then like Calabash said..."I start to figure it out". Other than that all has been very good in the turf. Bolts will not fool me,I fool myself by wishing they were coins,but the iron ID at 90 degrees says it's not.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
Very deep medium to large square nail that is very bent running Ferrous coin is my nemesis. The very rare times that it repeats at two angles is where I dig that deep hole and then like Calabash said..."I start to figure it out". Other than that all has been very good in the turf. Bolts will not fool me,I fool myself by wishing they were coins,but the iron ID at 90 degrees says it's not.
HAHA You said it "fooled myself by wishing" Probably so

Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Supporter

[quote]Tone first, no matter which machine I'm swinging. BUT, having an accurate ID to back up the tone is a big plus. Especially when hunting in modern trash.[quote]

BINGO!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Elite Member

I always hunt by tone, I know I catch myself checking numbers more often in combined mode. I am also a ground scrubber. Something I would point out on the CD video. Hopefully it is just him trying to take video at the same time. You really dont want to swing the CTX the way he swings his Deus. An inch above the ground is an inch loss in depth. If you want max depth at any settings, always scrub the ground.

I would rather see him try to hit the targets in trashy park program in auto +3.
Most likely he would hardly hear a chirp.
OK go manual 20 and ratchet up as you need, while scrubbing the ground.

One thing I know first hand is the CTX is better than the Etrac at unmasking coins in trash while running in conductive. FBS2 tech? Faster?

Id like to see this video
Take Etrac in conductive try getting clean tone on the dime with the nails. Probly nulls right over it. Might hit it in TTF.

Take CTX again in conductive a cleaner tone and instant dig. Then flip it to combined a no brainier DIG.

DD