Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Supporter

Default Taking a look at the ctx 30/30 and its target id.

Heres a video where I take the ctx out into the garden and take a look at the ctx id system on some targets in my garden. I have a question for all ctx users do people rely on the numbers to much on this machine? Even though its the best at id coins at depth just how much is it to be trusted? You guys who use it all the time please chime in and let us know what you think. I ask a couple questions at the beginning of the video if any know the answer please share it. thanks.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Elite Member

Tone first, no matter which machine I'm swinging. BUT, having an accurate ID to back up the tone is a big plus. Especially when hunting in modern trash.

In my experience, freshly buried targets don't really effect ID as much as depth. My CTX will ID a freshly buried target just as well as one that's been in the ground for decades. However, it definitely loses a little depth on freshly buried targets from what I've seen.

Couple of observations: you're running the CTX for coin shooting in clean ground, yet you're set up using relic mode with combined. You need to be set up properly for the type of hunting you're doing, and the type of site you're on. CTX is not like the Deus in regards to discrimination hurting depth. Running some DISC on the CTX will not effect depth. It will also keep the ID numbers much more stable since the machine isn't trying to ID other unwanted ferrous and nonferrous junk which happens to be under the coil.

Try this: Since we're coin shooting in clean ground, load up the coin pattern or the popular Trashy Park pattern (quick search will bring it up). Put her in 50-Co and run high trash separation. Turn fast off, as it tends to make TID a little more jumpy. Swing slow and low, listening for a blip of a high tone. Once you hear one, make a very short tight pass across the target, stopping just on the other side. Take a look at your numbers, paying closer attention to the CO than the FE. Pretty damn accurate if your swing is narrowed on top of the target.

CTX can also hold its own when it comes to picking good targets from iron, but it requires a very slow sweep speed and a well trained ear. Also it's not nearly as forgiving as the Deus on angle of approach. FWIW, my CTX has sniffed out some good targets that sounded like junk on my Deus, and my Deus has sniffed out some good stuff that I missed with the CTX. For this reason I hunt all of my good permissions with multiple detectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Supporter

Lightbulb

I also run my 3030 with Fast OFF...it clips the tones, and as stated, in some instances causes a bit jumpier numbers...

I haven't seen the video yet, But I also agree that the CTX 3030 prefers a bit of disc....
Have to watch the vid to know if I can answer your question...

IMO the 3030 will correctly ID coins no matter the TIME in the ground,

but the DEPTH of the coin, regardless of time affects the Correct Target ID, just like any other detector, to an extent

Coins that have been in the ground longer that have a HALO would be easier to detect AT DEPTH, and possibly easier for the machine to correctly identify due to a larger footprint of the coin and the surrounding soil....

(still watching the video)

Old 09-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Supporter

I will load it up and give it a try... thanks for the tip. Thanks I always heard its the best at the id game . Im just wondering if some trust to much? Have you guys dug targets where the id was fooled bad?? OR is it just better in the coin game just go with the id and kinda forget about the iffys ? You know I relic hunt so just wondering whats your guys strategies on coins? iffys or just solid signals?

Old 09-10-2017, 10:52 PM

When I am hunting with my CTX and get a target I want to investigate more I usually only sweep it a couple of times, stop just past it with the coil resting on the ground/grass cause I'm lazy and check the numbers, repeat and check the number. It is very good , the best at stopping on a set number and see if it stays consistant, if it does I dig.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Tone is king IMHO, but their are times when I put some weight on the ID. For example, when I have a time limited permission and I want to go through cherry picking the good targets. Do I miss some good targets that are mixed with junk? Absolutely. It's a trade off though. If time is limited its all about the trash to treasure ratio at the end of the day. An accurate ID is extremely useful for this type of hunting and the CTX/Etrac is about the best in the business.

On permissions that I can come back and hunt anytime for as long as I want, I'll rely much less on the ID and dig pretty much all nonferrous targets. CTX performs well in this scenario too, but loses some of its advantage over tone machines like the Deus.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
I will load it up and give it a try... thanks for the tip. Thanks I always heard its the best at the id game . Im just wondering if some trust to much? Have you guys dug targets where the id was fooled bad?? OR is it just better in the coin game just go with the id and kinda forget about the iffys ? You know I relic hunt so just wondering whats your guys strategies on coins? iffys or just solid signals?
Iffys that have that coin jingle mixed in would def get dug, especially if the target icon was within an allowed disc pattern.

Had a barber quarter that ID a 40 when normally a quarter, especially silver would have been more like 46-48.... but surrounding token and nails pulled the number down obviously a few numbers, BUT the target icon stayed top right quadrant, the TONE said there was possibly a silver dime down there (regardless of its denomination, it sounded silver) so I dug it after switching to a coin disc pattern (I run wide open minus a thin disc along the bottom then check targets against a disc pattern) it passed that test too, so I dug hoping for a dime

Anyway, yes the numbers were pulled down, but other indicators still lead me to believe that the iffy tone still could be silver coin.

IMO the target ICON, and it's location matter much more than the numbers on the screen... a quick glance on where the target icon is gives me huge info on chances of it actually being a coin as I primarily use 3030 for coin shooting

All of the indications TOGETHER such as a 40s number, the target icon in upper right quadrant of the screen, the tone, the icon not dropping after I switch to a heavier disc program, the target trace line, the fe number, target icon location when Pinpoint is enabled, how solid the target icon color is, are all used in conjunction with one another, that all give me information outside of the CO numbers....

Which is why I always say detecting with a 3030 is cheating... the number of ways to check a target , pre dig, with the 3030 is just about cheating because it just isn't fair lol

I probably forgot an indicator or two but I haven't been out detecting in two months...lol

Old 09-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Supporter

you coin shooters got a tough gig! My life is much simpler most of the time if its not a nail might want to check it out. I do cherry pick sometimes trying to find a relic to clue me on a site or when I get tired of can slaw or lead shot.. I think the hardest part about relics is getting on a good relic site. You guys have to be on best behavior in yards and parks.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Supporter

Whats the worst target that fools you on a ctx? The deus its a certain kind of deep square nail or a big piece of super deep iron tough signal sometimes by the time you get a 1 foot hole you start to figure it out. Not a big problem but does fool me every now and then.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by NectarDetector View post
All of the indications TOGETHER such as a 40s number, the target icon in upper right quadrant of the screen, the tone, the icon not dropping after I switch to a heavier disc program, the target trace line, the fe number, target icon location when Pinpoint is enabled, how solid the target icon color is, are all used in conjunction with one another, that all give me information outside of the CO numbers....

Which is why I always say detecting with a 3030 is cheating... the number of ways to check a target , pre dig, with the 3030 is just about cheating because it just isn't fair.

Well said Nectar. Agree 100%. CTX gives a TON of information about the target and putting it all together is where the magic happens. It is almost like cheating!

Calabash,
I'm not strictly a coin shooter. I LOVE relic hunting (especially CW relics), probably more than any other type of detecting. I just don't find good virgin sites very often anymore. For relic hunting I dig pretty much all nonferrous, and like you, I prefer the Deus for that task. But for coin hunting CTX is king IMHO. Different tools for different jobs.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:37 PM
Supporter

Whats the worst target that fools you on a ctx? The deus its a certain kind of deep square nail or a big piece of super deep iron tough signal sometimes by the time you get a 1 foot hole you start to figure it out. Not a big problem but does fool me every now and then.
Eh, if I'm being honest, a large bolt will sometimes ID as a silver quarter, even passing some initial tests, seems if it's large enough it fits all of the criteria on screen for a coin... for me, usually though there is more of a mixed tone that might make me think a coin is near iron, but still sounds like a coin....

Old 09-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Elite Member

I have my ctx set tones setup up to my preference and I go by vdi secondly. 99% of the time I know what I'm digging as far as coins go. I rarely ever dig iron or when I do it's because I'm chasing any chirp and most of the time I know I'm chasing iron. I've used the ctx since it came out and I know my machine better than I know my wife of 17 years lol

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:07 AM

...I have a question for all ctx users do people rely on the numbers to much on this machine? ...thanks.
Seems to me you had the sensitivity cranked up too far. Running at 28 in conditions where the machine is recommending 17-19 is just asking for a very noisy sound and jumpy display, IMHO. Maybe you were just trying to get more depth than was possible at lower sensitivities - don't know for sure?

HH and GL

Old 09-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Supporter

yes coins are deep in my garden so was running it hot.
Originally Posted by Toewe View post
Seems to me you had the sensitivity cranked up too far. Running at 28 in conditions where the machine is recommending 17-19 is just asking for a very noisy sound and jumpy display, IMHO. Maybe you were just trying to get more depth than was possible at lower sensitivities - don't know for sure?

HH and GL

Old 09-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Supporter

So bascically what you guys are saying with the ctx its a package deal where all the indicators are used together to make a dig or no dig. See I use my deus a little different I just put the remote in my pocket and dig by tone alone and leave the horse shoe and numbers out of the equation. Maybe if I was coinshooting I would use those tools. OK heres another question and will have a video up where old silver and coins hit on at pro, ctx etrac and deus.. Do you guys have old silver and coins you tested to see where it falls, trimes, seated and Spanish?

Old 09-11-2017, 08:52 AM

The numbers I choose to dig when using the CTX depends on the location of where I am hunting. The old parks and properties around me don't date back earlier than the late 1800s so I usually only dig signals from 12 30 on up and 12 13/14 for nickels. Now if at an old frontier homestead, mining areas etc, all non ferrous gets dug. I am in colorado though and the oldest coins I gave found don't go farther back then the mid 1800s.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Supporter

I posted a video where I wave the coil over a trime ,indian and other olds coins cant remember the numbers exactly but it seems low on the trime on the ctx and etrac.
Originally Posted by Digstrashtomuch View post
The numbers I choose to dig when using the CTX depends on the location of where I am hunting. The old parks and properties around me don't date back earlier than the late 1800s so I usually only dig signals from 12 30 on up and 12 13/14 for nickels. Now if at an old frontier homestead, mining areas etc, all non ferrous gets dug. I am in colorado though and the oldest coins I gave found don't go farther back then the mid 1800s.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Elite Member

So bascically what you guys are saying with the ctx its a package deal where all the indicators are used together to make a dig or no dig. See I use my deus a little different I just put the remote in my pocket and dig by tone alone and leave the horse shoe and numbers out of the equation. Maybe if I was coinshooting I would use those tools. OK heres another question and will have a video up where old silver and coins hit on at pro, ctx etrac and deus.. Do you guys have old silver and coins you tested to see where it falls, trimes, seated and Spanish?
Yessir. I've had most US coins in my test bed. Even the yellow ones. Smaller coins and lower conductors will read low.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Digstrashtomuch View post
Pretty darn good strategy.
Digging the 12-30 and up signals, this will nab a lot of the coloacted higher conductors with lower conductors.

I like CTX,,just heavy, and a person needs to go pretty slow.
First pass of coil may or may not yield say the high tone depending on how narrow a person has bins set up.

Real worn coins can slip by a person who is screen watching too much.
And a person will dig their share of balled up foil chasing nickel signals.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Supporter

So bascically what you guys are saying with the ctx its a package deal where all the indicators are used together to make a dig or no dig. See I use my deus a little different I just put the remote in my pocket and dig by tone alone and leave the horse shoe and numbers out of the equation.
I can only speak for myself, but I do not watch the screen either... only time I look at the screen is when I have a tone that piques my interest, then I run through all of the target indicator checks... but, that is because I almost always use my 3030 FOR SILVER coins specifically... any targets I find otherwise were targets found while looking for silver coins.

So, first I want to say this... my 3030 allows me to swing it as fast as I want to over a target....those saying it is slow and requires a slow swing speed... what do you consider slow? The 3030 is alot faster than an etrac....I can post a vido swinging over a coin as fast as I want to and it will pick the target up.

Likewise, you learn a combo of your walking speed and swing speed and will eventually figure out the optimal swing speed JUST LIKE WITH ANY DETECTOR... DO those guys who call it slow swing their repective machines like they're playing golf while running? NO? Well, they they had to slow down THEIR swing speeds for their machines too!!!

3030 is slower than an F2, but again, I can swing it as fast as I want to and never felt it had a problem with being slow like the etrac was where I had to wait on numbers to catch up with my swing.

Having said that...to answer your question or whatever... I don't look at my screen until I am already investigating the target, while looking for ADDITIONAL information to go along wiht the tone that piqued my interest.

One rule I use is if it piqued my interest initially, and I am having to work the target to get a better idea, alot of times its faster to just pop the plug and find out.

If the target piqued my interest and I do a couple initial silver checks on the screen and it is still very interesting the only difference is then I get excited and go ahead and dig.

To conclude, I hunt by TONES just like you with your remote in your pocket... then when a target warrants it, I inspect it further.

To ignore a 3030 screen would defeat the entire purpose of the machines features that give you MULTIPLE indicators on a targets ID pre dig that other machines just dont give you.

Most machines you get a tone, a notch and a number...

3030 I have upwards of 5-6 indicators I can check before digging, all of the extra features and information I get from my 3030 is the difference maker on hard hit sites where my buddies watch me dig silvers and think I'm just lucky...lol It aint luck