Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 09-06-2017, 01:59 PM

Default Test Test Test???

Over the past 20 years or so I've read a huge number of articles regarding detector comparisons and testing methods. I've seen nails in boards, coins buried deep, shallow, under Iron, rocks, you name it.

But what I've yet to see are tests actually done while in the field by two or more hunters with different machines coming upon what is perceived to be a good signal.

Before the target is actually dug wouldn't it make sense for each hunter to take a turn at the signal in actual dirt conditions and record what each detector is saying whether it's Beep, TID, Radar, or smoke signals along with what each hunter says the target actually is?

All machines might not hit it? Some might say how deep? others might say what the target actually is?

Seems to me this would be an accurate and fair comparison of information for someone to use before going out and spending a ton of money on a Star Wars flash banger only to find out the beeper performed just as well??

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:13 PM

I have not seen a posted comparison or video about this type of testing, but I haven't been around that long. I do remember reading a post here about someone who has done this with their friend. I think it was in one of the Impact threads and he was comparing it with his friends ATP.

Would be nice to see. Maybe if I continue watching enough YouTube MD vids I will come across some.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Sponsor

I do in some of my videos. Bill_S (dirtfishing) does quite a bit.

Might search youtube for "dirtfishing comparing signals"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

-
|
discount code A1466 |
-
-
-

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by normx2 View post
But what I've yet to see are tests actually done while in the field by two or more hunters with different machines coming upon what is perceived to be a good signal.

Before the target is actually dug wouldn't it make sense for each hunter to take a turn at the signal in actual dirt conditions and record what each detector is saying whether it's Beep, TID, Radar, or smoke signals along with what each hunter says the target actually is?
Where's the fun in that?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:17 PM

Actually I have to remind myself that machines without autopilot and spell check are almost a thing of the past it seems..???

Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Supporter

Actually I have to remind myself that machines without autopilot and spell check are almost a thing of the past it seems..???
Yet they all work off the same principal. I'm too old to go back to school to take a programming class to learn how to operate one. I struggle with the computer and cell phone

Old 09-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Supporter

I did it for years. You know how time consuming it is to hunt with 4 detectors LOL. I would find a target, in the wild, and then video all the detectors I owned on that target before I recovered it. I've got some 60 videos on my Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lKXSuX4vVe1jKG

Example:

Old 09-06-2017, 07:04 PM

I'll check them out for sure, Thanks

Old 09-08-2017, 11:26 AM

I did it for years. You know how time consuming it is to hunt with 4 detectors LOL. I would find a target, in the wild, and then video all the detectors I owned on that target before I recovered it. I've got some 60 videos on my Youtube channel.

Nice work on these!!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Did this a few years ago with a Vista Smart and XP Deus. Comparing weak and iffy signals during a real hunt on pasture.
Vista smart turned out to be the winner, hands down. Most iffy signals were coin sized deep targets.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Over the past 20 years or so I've read a huge number of articles regarding detector comparisons and testing methods. I've seen nails in boards, coins buried deep, shallow, under Iron, rocks, you name it.

All machines might not hit it? Some might say how deep? others might say what the target actually is?

Seems to me this would be an accurate and fair comparison of information for someone to use before going out and spending a ton of money on a Star Wars flash banger only to find out the beeper performed just as well??

Yes, this is what I'd like to see. Two or more people who really know their machines going head to head. Video produced by somone with no agenda but the truth. Not guys promoting their own machine or their enormous egos, just trying to show the qualities of the different machines. It's too big of a task for 1 person with multiple machines.

I do appreciate the enormous amount of time and effort that some folks put into these videos.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Elite Member

As DETECTOR stated...The Real Treasure is in the Hunt....!

Originally Posted by Detector View post

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lKXSuX4vVe1jKG

Example:

Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Supporter

TNSS loaned me his Nokta Impact. I'm preparing a report just as you outlined comparing it with my Rutus Alter. I marked out a 100 square feet area and took my time with both detectors, logging all the information they provided for each target.

I'm in the middle of budget at work so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can post what I learned.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:25 PM
Elite Member

I hope you are having fun with the Impact. Read good things on the Rutus Alter. Looking forward to your post.

Originally Posted by Donsell View post
TNSS loaned me his Nokta Impact. I'm preparing a report just as you outlined comparing it with my Rutus Alter. I marked out a 100 square feet area and took my time with both detectors, logging all the information they provided for each target.

I'm in the middle of budget at work so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can post what I learned.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by mudwhale View post
I hope you are having fun with the Impact. Read good things on the Rutus Alter. Looking forward to your post.
I am! I'm just trying to be as objective as possible which is difficult because I've used the Rutus for months now, and have the Impact for a few weeks. I'd like to get it back to TNSS next week so this will be my last weekend with it.