Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 08-30-2017, 01:28 PM

Folk need to take a reality check, the Deus is a real nice machine, it's DNA lays in hunting around iron in europe.
At this job it's a top performer, it's also the most popular unit in the UK, partly because the old guys love it's light weight, partly because it's soo good on plough and freshly worked soil that's abundant in many parts, so the targets are usually shallow.

But out of that environment, unless you have mild soil, it's very average.
I wouldn't go getting bent out of shape over it, CD loves the machine, it suits him and his relic sites, he enjoys showing how it operates, maybe he rubs the Garrett brigade the wrong way, but we all do it to a certain degree.
Personally for myself, the Deus is a bust, it's just plain average on my mainly ancient pasture sites, it's going down the road kicking stones like many before it lol.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:29 PM
Elite Member

Really only one real solution here.

Buy one of all models made.
Go to the ocean, see if you can tame/train yourself about 40 octopusses.
Then give each one 8 detectors to use.
You do the digging.

Lol

For back ache, that Johnny Bench emu cream is looking might good!!!

Old 08-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Elite Member

I am a Garrett fan but I want a serious upgrade for cheap, only thing for me is a used Minelab
Explorer or Safari or E trac. I think all other detectors not good enough for the money.
Happy detecting!

Old 08-30-2017, 03:42 PM

It's an never ending story to find the machine that suits you and the majority of the grounds you hunt, it might take 2-3-4 or more machines to fulfill that quest, for others one machine covers it.

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Really only one real solution here.

Buy one of all models made.
Go to the ocean, see if you can tame/train yourself about 40 octopusses.
Then give each one 8 detectors to use.
You do the digging.

Lol

For back ache, that Johnny Bench emu cream is looking might good!!!

Old 08-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Elite Member

Eh, you're going to see these comparisons made whenever a new unit comes out. Maybe they're to "help those who want to upgrade" or "make a statement to that company for whatever reason." European companies have been on an upswing in recent years. Let an American company have their try without you feeling encroached upon. I assure you, it's not personal.

There is no detector to rule them all. There are units at different price ranges because some can afford differently as well as varying levels of interest in the hobby. You don't build anything up by tearing down others and the unit maybe they can only afford.

Good night. Let Garrett have their day. I haven't seen anyone claiming the Max or Pro is "the Deus killer" or "Deus equalizer" so no need to act like Garrett somehow wronged you in your youth. Just be cool and happy with what you have. I know I am.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:56 PM

Sorry double post!!!

Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Elite Member

I'm throwing a wrench in here. As an ATP owner and I have Run a Deus a little bit. When it comes down to finding stuff on the fly at a fast pace. Don't hunt behind a Nokta Impact. Impact in my opinion is a Deus and ATP slayer in the field...been there done that. Where and how we hunt. ATP is way ahead of Deus in a lot of respects. Impact is WAY ahead of the ATP because of 3 frequencies to choose from. Here, where we hunt, target ID not audio is king, Impact and ATP have this solid. Deus....not!!!. Everything is bunched together in a hap-hazzard ID scale which is useless here in the Northeast. I don't need a one or two digit ID difference to tell me it's a dig or no dig target. Sorry, there is nothing worthy going on here.

Here's what I find funny...

Calllabash is calling Mr Edmonton a "bought out" Garret person. I see Callabash as a "Bought out" XP person. Hmmmm....
I think you both should just run the Impact and really find some stuff like I did today....

Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Elite Member

Just another little pointed stick. It seems Callabash only talks about 1 brand, from his backyard !!! I have seen posts from John E. testing and posting a lot of other brands, IN the field....Garret, Nokta and a lot of others... Just sayin....

Old 09-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
buy what you want it doesn't make a difference to me. Not long ago I myself was looking for a UPGRADE was it to be the mx sport? a deus? or what? If someone has a at pro and wants a upgrade what should it be mx sport? at gold ? at max? or deus? .. I think about how hard it was for me to decide. So my videos are geared toward showing the features of the deus to showcase how versatile it is for someone looking for a machine or to upgrade a machine. As for the AT SERIES I seen guys say some pretty amazing things about it and make some real big claims about it even put up against the deus. My videos disprove such claims. I do like my deus but let one come along that outperforms it and see what I'm swinging then. If you don't like my videos don't watch and if you use at series they will probably just hurt your feelings. If that's all you can afford I understand I used the pro myself till I saved enough money to get a upgrade and by all means if your not serious about the hobby don't drop a ton of money on a detector... You guys can call it calling out if you want but the real calling out is coming at you guys who use the at series and claim this and that about it...and how it performs with detectors that cost twice as much and on and on..
Calabash,what your videos don't show is how much junk you dig with that deus before you finally hit a good target,and that's not something you'd want to share with anyone looking to upgrade,they'd definitely count the deus out.
I've read a few posts that you even said you dug a 100 holes and ended up with a large cent or something on the last hole,other 99 were junk targets.Thats not what everyone wants to do,and that is where the at pro passes the deus in performance,not digging a bunch of junk.
Now, I've said it before ,I like the deus for open places with little to no modern trash.But you run the at pro and the deus in a modern trash park ,your deus will have you sweating carrying around that pouch full of junk,not so with the at pro and iron audio if you know how to use it.The deus has no feature to separate junk from good,it all sounds good in the audio.
So even if the deus is faster,deeper,and separation is the best,,it still comes in 2nd to the at pro in modern trash for good finds vs junk finds.Balls are balls and strikes are definitely strikes.The deus takes a backseat to many machines in modern trash unless your into modern digging trash

Old 09-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Supporter

Your assumption is wrong wood butcher, first relics are over the place and the at pros id don't help with that its not coin shooting. Second you act like experienced users cant tell junk targets form good one s in modern can slaw etc. I can call it the majority of the time. 3rd the post you quoted about a hundred holes had a reason. It was a modern trashed infested site over a civil war home I wasn't cherry picking . I could walk thru and cherry pick all the higher conducters but since I have dug it all on some sites I realize the dangers of doing so. If you never dug it all you should try it a few times and you will realize real quick just how flawed those vdi numbers are a lot of times. Woodbucther I understand you click with the pro but as for those claims that the pro is better in modern trash well we will agree to disagree. As for mud whale comments go look at my numerous hunting videos with all the top notch quality relics I find. Mr Edmonton is not the only one who hunts and tests in the field. As for being a fan boy of the deus that's true BUT its not because I'm paid or get free machines its because I believe its the single best relic machine made... As for the deus you ran it a little bit , I'm an expert with it and have the finds with it to back that statement up. Most ive seen complain about the deus never really got the audio of the deus and how nuanced it is in to dig or not to dig.

Last edited by calabash digger; 09-01-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Elite Member

Well,
There are ways to run a Deus and dodge a lot junk.

This chart.
http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/x...s-relics.shtml
Just based on this chart.
If I used 8khz. Unnormalize Vdi.
Set low tone up from disc to 50. High tone for the rest.
Reactivity setting 1 or 2 is key, force Deus to ID deeper.

Don't use notch,,let the audio flow.

A person can alter this setting of 50 too.
Now anyone who is in a modern trash site looking for gold jewelry.
Who won't dig junk?

I have used Deus in modern trash.
I did find some coins.

Btw a deus user has other things to study too.
Just because they get a tone they like, they can start circling the target.
Coins generally stick pretty tight meter reading wise.
Targets that are not as uniform in thickness, rough edges, irregular shaped. Meter reading will fluctuate more as one walks around .

Good way to sniff out nickels out of junky sites.
I have done.
Can take some time, but sometimes I don't want to dig, or can't dig the place up like pack of moles.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Supporter

Wood butcher what is the main targets you dig? coins what type? relics?

Old 09-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

I've found gold with my ATP, over 5ft deep, so many times, I quit keeping track...

Can a Deus actually hunt in say 6ft of water?

<)))>{

Old 09-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Supporter

I dont hunt in 6 ft of water if I did I would buy a pro or gold or excaliber. Im not gonna give up performance on land so I can boast about how my detector can hunt in 10 ft of water ,so what. Which do you hunt the most land or water? The at pro is a good water machine its waterproof . My videos show that on land its average thats it average. You can beat the pro with a T2, F75, AND theres a video by the hunter gt where he compares the patriot or renamed f70 to it. This is the videos he made on the two...

Old 09-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Elite Member

Wood butcher what is the main targets you dig? coins what type? relics?
I'm a coinshooter,and I do like finding anything old and cool.So I guess it's coins first,relics second.
I'm referring to the deus and at pro as coin shooting,not relic hunting.To be fair here,I have more hours hunting in this hobby using multiple machines,more time than I care to add up..For the most part I've owned and ran everything from a signum 7272 to a deus,Etrac,etc..I actually started buying foreign machines and using them before they were cool ,or all the rage.I think I was the 3rd person in the states to own a aka machine,straight from Russia.
To me every machine is different but the same,they all are pretty straight forward in the workings,and the quirks is what we figure out along the way.Im no more intelligent than the next man but it don't take me hundreds of hours like some say it does to figure a machine out.
I like them all,but they all have strengths and weaknesses.In coin shooting in modern trash the at pro gets the nod between the 2, in iron the deus is unmatched imo.I like both,but I won't undermine either machines ability to outperform the other in its strongholds.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
I've found gold with my ATP, over 5ft deep, so many times, I quit keeping track...

Can a Deus actually hunt in say 6ft of water?

<)))>{
Look like 16ft of water. 5 meters
http://www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas....der-water-kit/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ru8v6zSNWc

See this link page 39
http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/tele..._MANUAL_UK.pdf

Coil is waterproof to 20 ft (6meters)

Old 09-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Elite Member

And to be totally honest,I found my most valuable coin with a deus,in a yard that gave up nothing else,could have been hidden by iron and metal detected before,I don't know?But the deus hit it hard.1921 Philadelphia half
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Supporter

nice find im gonna post a video by someone else where he compares a at pro to a patriot. Would you take a look at it and explain why you think the pro is so good at finding coins ?

Old 09-01-2017, 11:00 PM

buy what you want it doesn't make a difference to me. Not long ago I myself was looking for a UPGRADE was it to be the mx sport? a deus? or what? If someone has a at pro and wants a upgrade what should it be mx sport? at gold ? at max? or deus? .. I think about how hard it was for me to decide. So my videos are geared toward showing the features of the deus to showcase how versatile it is for someone looking for a machine or to upgrade a machine. As for the AT SERIES I seen guys say some pretty amazing things about it and make some real big claims about it even put up against the deus. My videos disprove such claims. I do like my deus but let one come along that outperforms it and see what I'm swinging then. If you don't like my videos don't watch and if you use at series they will probably just hurt your feelings. If that's all you can afford I understand I used the pro myself till I saved enough money to get a upgrade and by all means if your not serious about the hobby don't drop a ton of money on a detector... You guys can call it calling out if you want but the real calling out is coming at you guys who use the at series and claim this and that about it...and how it performs with detectors that cost twice as much and on and on..
Think less.
Post less.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Supporter

truth hurt sometimes , still waiting on the answer to that question I asked on the at pro recover speed thread. Lets see if any pro users will answer it.