Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 08-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Gauntlet View post
Just got the new air card, swapped SIM cards (as told to do) plugged it into my Router, plugged in the external antenna......

Sooooo....I'm waiting for a call from my new best buddy at Verizon.
What ?????

After all what you went thru already they at least need to send you a T-shirt and baseball cap !

John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Old 08-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Supporter

No call-back today. Hoping to go out and knock on a couple doors in the AM to try and do some detecting. So I'm sure he'll call tomorrow

Meh, I got their stuff (Jet Pack and Air Card), it ain't paid for yet. They'll be calling

Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Supporter

Verizonís good unlimited data plan is now three bad unlimited plans

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/1...net-neutrality

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? HOW IS IT ALLOWED?
Verizon isnít offering a very satisfactory explanation for the radical shift in approach, but the company believes itís well within its rights to implement this throttling. Like other carriers, Verizon considers this to be network management and insists itís not violating net neutrality (while such a thing still exists).

Earlier this month, OpenSignal found that average LTE speeds for Verizon and AT&T slowed down after the companies brought back unlimited data plans; T-Mobile CEO John Legere jumped all over that performance dip. Itís reasonable to see this as Verizon pumping the brakes a bit to get a better handle on network activity.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Supporter

Well, on my list of things to do tomorrow, is to call Verizon and try to sort-out all this mess.

I happen to take it upon myself and see if there was any external antenna available for this MiFi7730L Jetpack I was initially shipped, prior to the Air Card. I was told by the guy who sold it to me, as well as the Tech guy, they didn't have the port for an external antenna.

Well guess what? It sure does (matter of fact 2 of them), and my existing antenna plugged right into it. I have picked-up an additional signal bar, and last Speed Test showed
Up-1.01
Dn2.5

Still not where it should be, but better. I'll likely keep the Jetpack, and let them take the Aircard back, as I know if I took it mobile, there's a better chance for damage to a USB device over one that just sets nearby (and I can be a bull in a China shop at times).

Old 09-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Supporter

Just got my Verizon Bill................$368

So, since I told them I'm not paying it, and THEY can straighten-out the mess they created. Also told them they could call me, 'cause the other way around "ain't happenin".....so don't be shocked if there comes a time I "go dark" for a while

Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Supporter

Talking

Just got my Verizon Bill................$368

So, since I told them I'm not paying it, and THEY can straighten-out the mess they created. Also told them they could call me, 'cause the other way around "ain't happenin".....so don't be shocked if there comes a time I "go dark" for a while
......maybe they omitted the decimal point and it was supposed to say $36.80

If you do lose service temporarily maybe your local library has internet access to use until you're back up.

IF you don't hear from me for a while early next week, it might be from an extended power outage if the storm is enough to knock our power out.

Navy Vet

Old 09-06-2017, 03:51 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by GKL View post
......maybe they omitted the decimal point and it was supposed to say $36.80

If you do lose service temporarily maybe your local library has internet access to use until you're back up.

IF you don't hear from me for a while early next week, it might be from an extended power outage if the storm is enough to knock our power out.
LOL, the last gal who helped me told me to call Billing. I told her I didn't blame here for washing her hands of Verizons mess, I'm fixin' to do the same.

I'll go buy a smart phone and tether my laptop to it, it can't cost more than what I'm trying to be charged for this mess. I've about had enough.

No generator? You should get one, just in case. I've got a cheapie, 3500 watt, I think $300, Champion I think. I've got a brother near Largo, FL. I hope it misses everyone and goes back out into the ocean.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Supporter

LOL, the last gal who helped me told me to call Billing. I told her I didn't blame here for washing her hands of Verizons mess, I'm fixin' to do the same.

I'll go buy a smart phone and tether my laptop to it, it can't cost more than what I'm trying to be charged for this mess. I've about had enough.

No generator? You should get one, just in case. I've got a cheapie, 3500 watt, I think $300, Champion I think. I've got a brother near Largo, FL. I hope it misses everyone and goes back out into the ocean.
Smartphone is an idea, we have a pretty good no-contract deal with phone/data/text thru AT&T Gophone paying month by month, but I think you said before only Verizon reaches your area ?

I've thought about getting a generator, my wife's been wanting to keep expenses down for now till she gets back to work as right now we just have our Social Security checks coming in.

We live about 25 miles north of Columbia South Carolina and are hoping the storm track veers more eastward to stay offshore and limit our weather to no more than what a heavy thunderstorm might be.

Navy Vet

Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Supporter

Been looking at other options (before I tell Verizon off).

Net10 has 16GB for $50/mo (Big improvement over where I am now), and the hotspot is $80.

Reception is the only issue, but I'm sure I could return it if it didn't work. So I may go see if I can find one tomorrow.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Supporter

Just off the phone with Verizon, again. Got everything squared-away (Bill from $368 down to $185, still due $50 rebate), except the rebate ($50 rebate on the $100 JetPack). Seems they sent me an expired coupon.

I've never seen such an incompetent bunch in my whole life!

OK, in the midst of typing, I called back.....demanding to either speak with a Supervisor, or mail me a return shipping ticket for the JetPack, and shut down my account. No Supervisor was available (go figure), but she said she noted all the recent calls I've made, and told me she'd just give me an instant $50 credit, and bypass the rebate.

My like is once again rainbows and unicorns

I'm glad it's noon..............

Old 09-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Supporter

Verizon...too big to fail.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Verizon...too big to fail.
No kidding. Last gal I spoke with said she was forwarding all my "issues" to management in an effort to prevent it from happening again, to me or anyone else.

So I'm not totally useless, I can always serve as a bad example for others

Old 09-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Supporter

Talking

Just off the phone with Verizon, again. Got everything squared-away (Bill from $368 down to $185, still due $50 rebate), except the rebate ($50 rebate on the $100 JetPack). Seems they sent me an expired coupon.

I've never seen such an incompetent bunch in my whole life!

OK, in the midst of typing, I called back.....demanding to either speak with a Supervisor, or mail me a return shipping ticket for the JetPack, and shut down my account. No Supervisor was available (go figure), but she said she noted all the recent calls I've made, and told me she'd just give me an instant $50 credit, and bypass the rebate.

My like is once again rainbows and unicorns

I'm glad it's noon..............
.......nothing like them thinking they're ready to lose a customer to motivate them

(they might even be under instructions not to offer such things unless the customer asks to cancel their account)

Navy Vet