Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 PM

Default Good upgrade?

Hi, I want to upgrade to a new metaldetector. At the moment I have the Garret ace 250, but I feel like I am ready for something better. I had a budget for around 600 euros in mind maybe even 700 euros. I like finding military stuff the most, but I live in the south of the netherlands (brabant) so I dont think there is a lot of military stuff left to be found. Thats why it maybe is better to buy a metaldetector that can find "anything" so an all around detector? I hope you can help me with this because I am realy struggling to choose a new detector. Some people recommended the Rutus Alter 71. Do any of you have experience with the rutus?

Sorry for my bad english (not a native speaker)

Old 08-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Merijn View post
Hi, I want to upgrade to a new metaldetector. At the moment I have the Garret ace 250, but I feel like I am ready for something better. I had a budget for around 600 euros in mind maybe even 700 euros. I like finding military stuff the most, but I live in the south of the netherlands (brabant) so I dont think there is a lot of military stuff left to be found. Thats why it maybe is better to buy a metaldetector that can find "anything" so an all around detector? I hope you can help me with this because I am realy struggling to choose a new detector. Some people recommended the Rutus Alter 71. Do any of you have experience with the rutus?

F75 SE LTD or an AT Max are a couple of good choices as well. Both offer many coil options as well , by way of after market or from the manufacturer.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Elite Member

I don't currently own a f75ltd2 but I did.And wish I still did,I think it's one of the best machines ever made.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
I don't currently own a f75ltd2 but I did.And wish I still did,I think it's one of the best machines ever made.
Agree woodbutcher. Very fast detector with great discrimination. Very ergonomic as well.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Thank you verry much for your fast reply's

I also heard the XP GoldMaxx Power and a Ruttus are verry good detectors to. Do any of you guys have experience with them?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Elite Member

I hear the Rutus alter 71 is very good, like the xp deus.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 AM

I rock an whites mxsport thats really close to your budget. Its a GREAT all around waterproof detector that puts many in the same price range to shame.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Is there anyting cheaper you guys can recommend? And are there more peopel who had good experiences with the whites mx sports?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Default Makro Racer 2

I upgraded from an Ace 350 to a Makro Racer 2 and I could not be happier.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 PM

Is there anyting cheaper you guys can recommend? And are there more peopel who had good experiences with the whites mx sports?
The Garrett AT Pro is cheaper and is a good all around machine. It's waterproof as well. I don't know what a Rutus would cost over there. A Teknetics , Patriot is a great machine for the money. You should give that detector a hard look. That's a lot of detector for 400 American dollars.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by kajunman View post
The Garrett AT Pro is cheaper and is a good all around machine. It's waterproof as well. I don't know what a Rutus would cost over there. A Teknetics , Patriot is a great machine for the money. You should give that detector a hard look. That's a lot of detector for 400 American dollars.
Yes, the patriot (same as fisher F70) is a bargain for the price. I've had an F70 for almost a year now and it was my very first detector. Made tons of great finds with it. Just look up Digger27's posts on the F70.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Supporter

If you can get one there........

Old 08-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
Couldn't agree more! I just recently upgraded to a new fisher F75 SE LTD. I LOVE it!! fantastic machine!!

Old 08-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Sponsor

Default Garrett ACE 400 or the AT-Pro

I would upgrade to a Detector with the VDI # it helps ID targets better
I carry a full line of Detectors give me a call
dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:20 PM

I had the MX Sport with all the updates. It was ok. I just didn't love it. It's good not great. After trying to really gel with it for a year, I gave up and traded it. In the end, it was just too heavy for me. I traded for a Sorex pro and found true happiness.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Supporter

I own both the AT Pro and the Rutus. Both are good choices IMO.

I would recommend the Rutus. It has great stock programs but allows you to customize almost any setting. So it's great as a beginner and will still be great when you learn the ins and out of detecting and how to dial in your detector.

Plus that Hodograph gives you a lot of information when added to the tone and VDI.

For the price it's a great choice, but I have no experience beyond the AT-Pro and the Rutus.