Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 09-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Elite Member

Nice finds Shari!!!
Today here in the USA, DEEP in the woods I found a Swedish "5 ORE" coin from 1884. We mostly find US coins here. A Swedish coin was odd in the woods here.
It is a Bronze coin...

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 AM

Another questions. Can you explain me in simple words - what changes when I change the target ID depth? Only depth level that device display or really depth?

And what do you think about DI 2 and DI 4 search modes? I never used it before, but will try.

Gain. What level do you use? I use 80-85, but MD to noisy sometimes.

Sorry for broken English

Old 09-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Shari View post
Another questions. Can you explain me in simple words - what changes when I change the target ID depth? Only depth level that device display or really depth?

And what do you think about DI 2 and DI 4 search modes? I never used it before, but will try.

Gain. What level do you use? I use 80-85, but MD to noisy sometimes.

Sorry for broken English
Your first question,,it affects target ID reliability.

DI2 and DI4 both good modes for depth, and higher gain with these can make them noisy depending on area. Especially gain levels 95 plus.

In a heavy emi environment,,a good approach some times is use DI3 and Max the gain to 99... Impact will generally run pretty quiet here even in some bad emi.

Don't forget to try freq offset when your detector gets noisy.
The freq offset on Impact works well.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Your first question,,it affects target ID reliability.

DI2 and DI4 both good modes for depth, and higher gain with these can make them noisy depending on area. Especially gain levels 95 plus.

In a heavy emi environment,,a good approach some times is use DI3 and Max the gain to 99... Impact will generally run pretty quiet here even in some bad emi.

Don't forget to try freq offset when your detector gets noisy.
The freq offset on Impact works well.
Frequency shift works great. When that failed for me 1 time, COG mode did the trick also. I think I was hunting over a burnt coal dumping area...