Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08-21-2017, 07:40 PM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,816
Default

No call-back today. Hoping to go out and knock on a couple doors in the AM to try and do some detecting. So I'm sure he'll call tomorrow

Meh, I got their stuff (Jet Pack and Air Card), it ain't paid for yet. They'll be calling

__________________
Tesoro: Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Reply With Quote


  #62  
Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,816
Default

Verizonís good unlimited data plan is now three bad unlimited plans

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/1...net-neutrality

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? HOW IS IT ALLOWED?
Verizon isnít offering a very satisfactory explanation for the radical shift in approach, but the company believes itís well within its rights to implement this throttling. Like other carriers, Verizon considers this to be network management and insists itís not violating net neutrality (while such a thing still exists).

Earlier this month, OpenSignal found that average LTE speeds for Verizon and AT&T slowed down after the companies brought back unlimited data plans; T-Mobile CEO John Legere jumped all over that performance dip. Itís reasonable to see this as Verizon pumping the brakes a bit to get a better handle on network activity.

__________________
Tesoro: Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Reply With Quote


  #63  
Old 08-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,816
Default



Well, on my list of things to do tomorrow, is to call Verizon and try to sort-out all this mess.

I happen to take it upon myself and see if there was any external antenna available for this MiFi7730L Jetpack I was initially shipped, prior to the Air Card. I was told by the guy who sold it to me, as well as the Tech guy, they didn't have the port for an external antenna.

Well guess what? It sure does (matter of fact 2 of them), and my existing antenna plugged right into it. I have picked-up an additional signal bar, and last Speed Test showed
Up-1.01
Dn2.5

Still not where it should be, but better. I'll likely keep the Jetpack, and let them take the Aircard back, as I know if I took it mobile, there's a better chance for damage to a USB device over one that just sets nearby (and I can be a bull in a China shop at times).

__________________
Tesoro: Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Reply With Quote


  #64  
Old 09-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,816
Default

Just got my Verizon Bill................$368

So, since I told them I'm not paying it, and THEY can straighten-out the mess they created. Also told them they could call me, 'cause the other way around "ain't happenin".....so don't be shocked if there comes a time I "go dark" for a while

__________________
Tesoro: Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Reply With Quote


  #65  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 3,640
Talking

Originally Posted by Gauntlet View post
Just got my Verizon Bill................$368

So, since I told them I'm not paying it, and THEY can straighten-out the mess they created. Also told them they could call me, 'cause the other way around "ain't happenin".....so don't be shocked if there comes a time I "go dark" for a while
......maybe they omitted the decimal point and it was supposed to say $36.80

If you do lose service temporarily maybe your local library has internet access to use until you're back up.

IF you don't hear from me for a while early next week, it might be from an extended power outage if the storm is enough to knock our power out.

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #66  
Old 09-06-2017, 03:51 PM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,816
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
......maybe they omitted the decimal point and it was supposed to say $36.80

If you do lose service temporarily maybe your local library has internet access to use until you're back up.

IF you don't hear from me for a while early next week, it might be from an extended power outage if the storm is enough to knock our power out.
LOL, the last gal who helped me told me to call Billing. I told her I didn't blame here for washing her hands of Verizons mess, I'm fixin' to do the same.

I'll go buy a smart phone and tether my laptop to it, it can't cost more than what I'm trying to be charged for this mess. I've about had enough.

No generator? You should get one, just in case. I've got a cheapie, 3500 watt, I think $300, Champion I think. I've got a brother near Largo, FL. I hope it misses everyone and goes back out into the ocean.

__________________
Tesoro: Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Reply With Quote


  #67  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:04 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 3,640
Default

Originally Posted by Gauntlet View post
LOL, the last gal who helped me told me to call Billing. I told her I didn't blame here for washing her hands of Verizons mess, I'm fixin' to do the same.

I'll go buy a smart phone and tether my laptop to it, it can't cost more than what I'm trying to be charged for this mess. I've about had enough.

No generator? You should get one, just in case. I've got a cheapie, 3500 watt, I think $300, Champion I think. I've got a brother near Largo, FL. I hope it misses everyone and goes back out into the ocean.
Smartphone is an idea, we have a pretty good no-contract deal with phone/data/text thru AT&T Gophone paying month by month, but I think you said before only Verizon reaches your area ?

I've thought about getting a generator, my wife's been wanting to keep expenses down for now till she gets back to work as right now we just have our Social Security checks coming in.

We live about 25 miles north of Columbia South Carolina and are hoping the storm track veers more eastward to stay offshore and limit our weather to no more than what a heavy thunderstorm might be.

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #68  
Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,816
Default

Been looking at other options (before I tell Verizon off).

Net10 has 16GB for $50/mo (Big improvement over where I am now), and the hotspot is $80.

Reception is the only issue, but I'm sure I could return it if it didn't work. So I may go see if I can find one tomorrow.

__________________
Tesoro: Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Reply With Quote


  #69  
Old 09-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,816
Default

Just off the phone with Verizon, again. Got everything squared-away (Bill from $368 down to $185, still due $50 rebate), except the rebate ($50 rebate on the $100 JetPack). Seems they sent me an expired coupon.

I've never seen such an incompetent bunch in my whole life!

OK, in the midst of typing, I called back.....demanding to either speak with a Supervisor, or mail me a return shipping ticket for the JetPack, and shut down my account. No Supervisor was available (go figure), but she said she noted all the recent calls I've made, and told me she'd just give me an instant $50 credit, and bypass the rebate.

My like is once again rainbows and unicorns

I'm glad it's noon..............

__________________
Tesoro: Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Reply With Quote


  #70  
Old 09-07-2017, 02:28 PM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,758
Default

Verizon...too big to fail.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Reply With Quote


  #71  
Old 09-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,816
Default

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Verizon...too big to fail.
No kidding. Last gal I spoke with said she was forwarding all my "issues" to management in an effort to prevent it from happening again, to me or anyone else.

So I'm not totally useless, I can always serve as a bad example for others

__________________
Tesoro: Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Reply With Quote


  #72  
Old 09-07-2017, 05:12 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 3,640
Talking

Originally Posted by Gauntlet View post
Just off the phone with Verizon, again. Got everything squared-away (Bill from $368 down to $185, still due $50 rebate), except the rebate ($50 rebate on the $100 JetPack). Seems they sent me an expired coupon.

I've never seen such an incompetent bunch in my whole life!

OK, in the midst of typing, I called back.....demanding to either speak with a Supervisor, or mail me a return shipping ticket for the JetPack, and shut down my account. No Supervisor was available (go figure), but she said she noted all the recent calls I've made, and told me she'd just give me an instant $50 credit, and bypass the rebate.

My like is once again rainbows and unicorns

I'm glad it's noon..............
.......nothing like them thinking they're ready to lose a customer to motivate them

(they might even be under instructions not to offer such things unless the customer asks to cancel their account)

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #73  
Old 01-14-2018, 07:48 PM
blackbird72 blackbird72 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Default

I used a similar one but it was only 300 baud and the internet wasn't alive yet. We dialed into a system called Arpanet. It tied in several colleges and military sites across the nation and some overseas. Al Gore did not create it either. Ha Ha!
Reply With Quote


  #74  
Old 02-02-2018, 08:57 PM
halfstep's Avatar
halfstep halfstep is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Hunter Missouri
Posts: 556
Default

Originally Posted by Gauntlet View post
Speedtest.net just put me at:

0.32 Upload
0.30 Download


I feel your pain. Mine is actually running faster than normal tonight.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote


  #75  
Old 02-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Detector's Avatar
Detector Detector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dodge City KS
Posts: 9,514
Default

We have ICMP turned off at work so I can't get a valid speed test, but I've got 100mb fiber at work now.

__________________
The real treasure is in the hunt....

Reply With Quote


  #76  
Old 02-03-2018, 09:15 AM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 3,640
Exclamation

Just checked my internet speed at - http://www.speedtest.net/

It's unusual to get 100% of your speed, but mine is close to what it should be, 15 MB download and 3 MB upload.

Name:  internetspeed.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  28.5 KB

I wish there were more options for internet service in our area, we only have one cable company and they won't let you buy internet service by itself, you have to at least get the basic tv service too.

There are satellite "internet only" services available, but from what I've read bad weather, even rain, can mess up the signal and they have monthly data caps where at least my cable company has no data caps.

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #77  
Old 02-04-2018, 05:00 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,758
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Just checked my internet speed at - http://www.speedtest.net/

It's unusual to get 100% of your speed, but mine is close to what it should be, 15 MB download and 3 MB upload.

Attachment 405755

I wish there were more options for internet service in our area, we only have one cable company and they won't let you buy internet service by itself, you have to at least get the basic tv service too.

There are satellite "internet only" services available, but from what I've read bad weather, even rain, can mess up the signal and they have monthly data caps where at least my cable company has no data caps.
We have no cable or wireline internet where I live, period. We use AT&T Homebase, and AT&T unlimited cellular data. 20 down, 20 up, they work great, no issues.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Reply With Quote


  #78  
Old 02-04-2018, 05:03 AM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,758
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
.......nothing like them thinking they're ready to lose a customer to motivate them

(they might even be under instructions not to offer such things unless the customer asks to cancel their account)
They could really not care less. Many times, they are hoping they will cancel their account, especially if it's a wireline service.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Reply With Quote


  #79  
Old 02-04-2018, 11:34 AM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 3,640
Default

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
We have no cable or wireline internet where I live, period. We use AT&T Homebase, and AT&T unlimited cellular data. 20 down, 20 up, they work great, no issues.
Never heard of AT&T Homebase, is that satellite internet ? If so does it have any monthly data cap ?

The unlimited cellular data sounds expensive, we have the AT&T pay as you go no contract service on our smartphones, unlimited testing and calls, but a monthly cap on data where it slows way down if you exceed it, but we never use our phone data enough for that to be a concern.

My main concern with satellite internet is how easily it would be to exceed a monthly data cap and have to put up with reduced speed till the end of the month. Also I have heard that it can have problems with reception in heavy rain.

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
They could really not care less. Many times, they are hoping they will cancel their account, especially if it's a wireline service.
Okay, that is sad, fortunately our service has been very dependable, my only big complaint is that our cable company will not sell internet access by itself, they force you to also get tv cable service.

I don't know if they do that just to force you into paying more money, or if they did sell you internet only that the basic tv signals would still get thru anyway.

__________________
Gary
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5 Acts 2:38
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #80  
Old 02-04-2018, 12:37 PM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 2,758
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Never heard of AT&T Homebase, is that satellite internet ? If so does it have any monthly data cap ?

The unlimited cellular data sounds expensive, we have the AT&T pay as you go no contract service on our smartphones, unlimited testing and calls, but a monthly cap on data where it slows way down if you exceed it, but we never use our phone data enough for that to be a concern.
Nope, not sattellite, which can be horrible if you are linked to the wrong transmitter and under contract. AT&T Homebase is a cellular internet/phone device that allows you to plug in a corded landline type phone. We have the unlimited data plan, four of us with IPhones, IPads, etc, online, Video streaming, etc,. Supposedly they slow data speeds after 22g, but we hit that limit pretty quick and I don't notice that there is throttling. As far expense, that's all relative. I just hand my wife the checkbook lol.

__________________
Explorer 2/Etrac

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.