Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 09-02-2017, 02:52 PM

Default Minelab CTX 3030

I just found a Minelab CTX 3030 online for what I think is an pretty good price, but I just purchased an AT Pro. So the question here is do you guys think that the CTX 3030 is worth upgrading to.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Supporter

Absolutely. The AT Pro is a good unit but the CTX is much better. Personally I went from the AT Pro to the E Trac and then the CTX

Old 09-02-2017, 03:46 PM

Is there anything I need to check for when buying a used one?

Old 09-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by twizzlerlord View post
Is there anything I need to check for when buying a used one?
You going to use it in the water? As a used CTX, might consider if any warranty is left? Once the warranty runs out, many stop using them in the water. Because they are expensive to fix, and it takes forever to get back from the repair center...

The CTX is like a race car, they need work often, and cost a lot! But they perform like nothing else when running..

<)))>{

Old 09-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

So the question here is do you guys think that the CTX 3030 is worth upgrading to.

Yep! CTX kicks butt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Elite Member

I just found a Minelab CTX 3030 online for what I think is an pretty good price, but I just purchased an AT Pro. So the question here is do you guys think that the CTX 3030 is worth upgrading to.
CTX 1st gen has an orange battery seal and original designed arm cuff
CTX 2nd gen has a redesigned black battery seal to prevent leaks and a new designed arm cuff.

For any used machine, disassemble the unit completely. Pull out the battery and look for signs of damage on the rubber o-ring. Look for signs of corrosion on the battery connectors and the waterproof connectors that run to the coil and to the head unit. Inspect the cord for wear/damage. The shaft lock is prone to wear, cracking, & slipping. Ensure it properly holds the shaft in place too. Check each of the control panel buttons. Make sure they all work. Check the wireless controller to make sure it works and holds a charge...I've seen plenty of these need a new battery after just a few years of use. After all of that, dunk it! E.g.., submerge it under water and shake it around for 5-10 minutes. Roll it over, etc. You want to make sure the unit hasn't been dropped and has hairline cracks that allow water to pentrate. If the owner is apprehensive about dunking, ask yourself if it is a $1,xxx gamble that you are willing to risk.

If buying used without a warranty, I wouldn't spend more than $1,000 for a complete machine. That means the unit, the 11" coil, the LI-battery, the AA-battery pack, the home charger, the car charger and the WM-10 wireless headphone module. Used with a warranty, $1,300-1,600 depending on how much warranty remains. Remember, a brand new CTX with a 3-year warranty is only a few bucks more.

As far as being better than an ATP ...if you are anywhere with moderate mineralization or salt, it is ABSOLUTELY better.

1 members found this post helpful.