Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-30-2017, 11:26 AM
olfart's Avatar
olfart olfart is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: N.E. Texas near Texarkana
Posts: 74
Default

The diamonds in this park are not gem stone grade, they're more like industrial grade. They are yellow to brown in color and not nearly so valuable as gem grade diamonds. That being said, the park is still a neat place to visit. Been there, done that, didn't find a diamond.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #22  
Old 03-30-2017, 12:32 PM
MTJosh's Avatar
MTJosh MTJosh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mesa, AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Posts: 414
Default

There are some gem quality stones there. The one I found is white and decent clarity. The Kahn Canary diamond is known stone from there. Some of the larger stones have been cut into quality jewelry. Collectors like them due to the rarity of US diamonds. Mine is only 15pt. So maybe $150-200 stone to a collector. But valuble to me in my collection. I'll probbaly donate it to a mineral musuem when I die so people can see one. I tried loaning it to one. The museum was very excited to display a US diamond. Then director out of the blue said we don't take loan items any more, only donated. Needless to say they are not displaying the diamond. Their loss
Originally Posted by olfart View post
The diamonds in this park are not gem stone grade, they're more like industrial grade. They are yellow to brown in color and not nearly so valuable as gem grade diamonds. That being said, the park is still a neat place to visit. Been there, done that, didn't find a diamond.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #23  
Old 03-30-2017, 07:19 PM
olfart's Avatar
olfart olfart is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: N.E. Texas near Texarkana
Posts: 74
Default

Originally Posted by MTJosh View post
There are some gem quality stones there. The one I found is white and decent clarity. The Kahn Canary diamond is known stone from there. Some of the larger stones have been cut into quality jewelry. Collectors like them due to the rarity of US diamonds. Mine is only 15pt. So maybe $150-200 stone to a collector. But valuble to me in my collection. I'll probbaly donate it to a mineral musuem when I die so people can see one. I tried loaning it to one. The museum was very excited to display a US diamond. Then director out of the blue said we don't take loan items any more, only donated. Needless to say they are not displaying the diamond. Their loss
I sit corrected!
Reply With Quote


  #24  
Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 AM
SKMKSMetalHead's Avatar
SKMKSMetalHead SKMKSMetalHead is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Salina, Kansas
Posts: 343
Default

My wife and I almost went camping near this park last fall. Instead we went to the Eden Falls area near the buffalo river, Northern Arkansas closer to home. Hmm that could of been one of my 4 children scoring that diamond... For sure gonna make a trip there someday only about a 7 hour drive for us. Arkansas is a beautiful state.



MetalHead

__________________
Whites VX3,Tesoro Mojave,Lesche hand Digger, sampson 31 t handle serrated,Garrett ProPointer(waterproof)"love it"- 2017 Clad($ 46.79) Silver 5 Sterling 2 wheat 33 injun 1 V-nickle 1 tokens 9 MetalHead since 11/13/14

Reply With Quote


  #25  
Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Crackdaddy's Avatar
Crackdaddy Crackdaddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southeast mo
Posts: 319
Default

I went to the park a few years ago and spent a week there. It was a lot of fun. But omg was it ever hot.

__________________
AT Pro, Fisher F5 and Ace 250
oldest coin 1887 IH penny

Reply With Quote


  #26  
Old 07-20-2017, 05:41 PM
georgeinsc's Avatar
georgeinsc georgeinsc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ladson SC
Posts: 745
Default

Originally Posted by Mg240 View post
That's cool, but I'm surprised they let him keep it, being a state park.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
It is crater of diamonds state park. One pays to hunt for diamonds. There have been quite a few diamonds found in that old crater.
Reply With Quote


  #27  
Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 PM
BBsGal's Avatar
BBsGal BBsGal is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern Oklahoma
Posts: 3,376
Default

We've been over yonder twice now, didn't find anything but had fun watching people searching. It looked like the night of the living dead, folks all walking around looking at the ground like a bunch of zombies and there we were right in there with them doing the same...

Up in the mountains north of there is my favorite crystal mine, we drive in, pay the $20 or whatever it is, park, then go dig through piles and piles of diggings from the mine. I bring home gigantic yard crystals from there... I usually load the entire truck bed with rocks since we have no rocks here where I'm at. Well worth the time and effort!

__________________
CTX-3030, F2, F44, GPP, XP. Since 01/2014. 2871 Clad Coins, 13 Silver Coins, 1 War Nickel, 1 Buff, 55 Wheats, 2 Foreign Coins. Oldest: 1879 Morgan, 1909 Wheat, 2 Sterling Rings, 1 Gold Ring, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Reply With Quote


  #28  
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 8,027
Default

Originally Posted by Vermonster View post
They found one perfect stone there, that they say occurs 1 in a billion times......

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark...ous-finds.aspx
So you are saying theres a chance? Heck Yeah!

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Reply With Quote


  #29  
Old 08-29-2017, 07:33 PM
bulldog46 bulldog46 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Wink diamonds!!!!

would one of you guys invent a diamond detector.
Reply With Quote


  #30  
Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 PM
NectarDetector's Avatar
NectarDetector NectarDetector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Detecting365
Posts: 7,968
Default

Originally Posted by Mg240 View post
That's cool, but I'm surprised they let him keep it, being a state park.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
That park is FOR people coming out, sifting for diamonds etc.

Every year people find diamonds here....

__________________
.

Reply With Quote


  #31  
Old 08-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Mg240's Avatar
Mg240 Mg240 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 208
Default

Originally Posted by NectarDetector View post
That park is FOR people coming out, sifting for diamonds etc.

Every year people find diamonds here....
Nice, I might have to go there

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

__________________
Garret AT Pro oldest coin 1857 Seated Liberty dime
2016: 45 wheats; 3IH;2 V nickels;1 Buffalo nickel;1 SLQ;1954 Franklin half.7 rings: 2 gold 1 sterling 4 junk rings.

Reply With Quote


  #32  
Old 08-29-2017, 09:01 PM
NectarDetector's Avatar
NectarDetector NectarDetector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Detecting365
Posts: 7,968
Default

Originally Posted by Mg240 View post
Nice, I might have to go there

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
When you do, holler I'll go wit ya!

__________________
.

Reply With Quote


  #33  
Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 7,925
Default

Originally Posted by olfart View post
The diamonds in this park are not gem stone grade, they're more like industrial grade. They are yellow to brown in color and not nearly so valuable as gem grade diamonds. That being said, the park is still a neat place to visit. Been there, done that, didn't find a diamond.
Wonder what makes you an expert on this site??? KT, in his former profession, was the State Expert on the diamonds from this location, and most 1+ carat stones from this location are gem quality! Go to the Arkansas Geological Survey and look up the pamphlets on the Educational tab of their entry page to find the one KT wrote entitled...Finding Diamonds in Arkansas!

If you only been there once, then the odds are against you...takes about 100 hours of searching for a diamond to be recovered...according to Park statistics.

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro; 2017 CRH totals: 296 40%ers, 63 90%ers, 62 proofs, 716 NIFCs, 1 Cu-wash Ken, 4 87 Kens, 4 foreigns, 4 Au-plated

Reply With Quote


  #34  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:39 AM
Skippy SH13's Avatar
Skippy SH13 Skippy SH13 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,217
Default

http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/


Cheers,

Skippy
Reply With Quote


  #35  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:44 AM
Skippy SH13's Avatar
Skippy SH13 Skippy SH13 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,217
Default

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Wonder what makes you an expert on this site??? KT, in his former profession, was the State Expert on the diamonds from this location, and most 1+ carat stones from this location are gem quality! Go to the Arkansas Geological Survey and look up the pamphlets on the Educational tab of their entry page to find the one KT wrote entitled...Finding Diamonds in Arkansas!

If you only been there once, then the odds are against you...takes about 100 hours of searching for a diamond to be recovered...according to Park statistics.
Yep, plenty of nice stones found there. Most aren't, but there are some good ones, with nice clarity. Yellow, white and brown stones are found there. All would be wicked fun to walk over and pick up! LOL

Cheers,

Skippy
Reply With Quote


  #36  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:47 AM
Skippy SH13's Avatar
Skippy SH13 Skippy SH13 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,217
Default

Originally Posted by MTJosh View post
There are some gem quality stones there. The one I found is white and decent clarity. The Kahn Canary diamond is known stone from there. Some of the larger stones have been cut into quality jewelry. Collectors like them due to the rarity of US diamonds. Mine is only 15pt. So maybe $150-200 stone to a collector. But valuble to me in my collection. I'll probbaly donate it to a mineral musuem when I die so people can see one. I tried loaning it to one. The museum was very excited to display a US diamond. Then director out of the blue said we don't take loan items any more, only donated. Needless to say they are not displaying the diamond. Their loss
Yeah... out of the blue. In otherwords, "ooh, lemme have it, instead!" Bet they thought they were going to get it, too. LOL

Way to hold on to it. Museums shouldn't get to "keep" the stuff they display, if it's willing to be loaned!
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.