Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 09-10-2017, 03:31 PM
Supporter

Default So is the Whites MX5 off the Market?

Getting ready to send my disappointing Treasure Master back after 3 days of frustration and thinking of a MX5 as a replacement. Go to Whites Electronics dot com and its nowhere to be found.

Was looking also at a slightly used M6 on local Craigslist, but as usual somehow the seller ignores both emails and text messages.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Supporter

There's lots of MX5's listed other places, Kellyco and Amazon were a couple of the 1st to come-up.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Gauntlet View post
There's lots of MX5's listed other places, Kellyco and Amazon were a couple of the 1st to come-up.
Yes, I know they are For Sale but looks like they will be Orphans if they are out of production, as discontinued. That was Whites Electronics website I was on, not a vendor.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by wmgeorge View post
Yes, I know they are For Sale but looks like they will be Orphans if they are out of production, as discontinued. That was Whites Electronics website I was on, not a vendor.
OK, guess I'm not following. You know every detector eventually goes out of production? If it's the detector you want/like, what does it matter if it's an "orphan" or not?

Old 09-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Gauntlet View post
OK, guess I'm not following. You know every detector eventually goes out of production? If it's the detector you want/like, what does it matter if it's an "orphan" or not?
Very simple a current new technology model that's what 3 years old, and then dropped from the product line up means one of two things. A, Its not selling or B, issues and too many problems. Whereas the M6 been in production for 10 years and still selling or being sold. What does that tell you? Orphans tend not to be supported.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Supporter

Very simple a current new technology model that's what 3 years old, and then dropped from the product line up means one of two things. A, Its not selling or B, issues and too many problems. Whereas the M6 been in production for 10 years and still selling or being sold. What does that tell you? Orphans tend not to be supported.
I see lots of them put in new colored housings, new decals, different marketing approach, new name, etc.

Have you tried reading any reviews on it? Discontinuing something doesn't make it inherently "bad".

"What does it tell me"? According to your way of thinking, I'm setting on the best detectors EVER built....they NEVER change

Good luck with your search.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:53 PM
Supporter

Minelab supports (ha!...there's a joke in there somewhere) discontinued detectors for at least 5 years as long as they are still able to source the parts for repair. That's a pretty long time. Might find out what is White's policy if you really want that model.