Cow ants

jmitch4861

Forum Supporter
so i was in the backyard and noticed a bright furry and i looked a little closer and it was a cow ant (velvet ant). I have never seen one except out in the country.I wonder if this means i have a nest in the yard?If so anyone know the best way to get rid of them without dumping poison, they are very nasty little things and i havent seen one since i was a kid . I wonder if the flood drove them in to town.

Well, since you've been awesome at giving me advice on MD's... :)

I know you said no poison, however Borax works extremely well on most ants. It's natural but still you don't want to ingest it.

We had a substantial ant problem a couple of months back and I tried a couple of different mixtures of sugar, Borax and water. Basically, it needs to be a 2:1 ratio of sugar to Borax.

Mix the dry ingredients and then add just enough water to make it like a wet concrete. Even if all the sugar granules don't dissolve in the mix, they will in the heat.

Find the path that these ants are traveling and pour the mixture on and around the path. If you can find where they're living its also a good idea to place it there but they'll being it back to the nest.

Basically, they like nectar and this mixture is tasty for them. The Borax, however, creates gases in their gut and they can't rid themselves of it causing their insides to pretty much rupture. The key is to make the right mixture so they don't die before getting back to the nest.

Other than commercial poinsons, I wouldn't know what to use. I have never been stung by one, but I have heard that they are a really bad. My worst sting has been by a red wasp. It actually drew blood and left a scar!

Good luck to you. I hope that you don't have a bunch around.

Doug

velvetantx450.jpg

I have never heard of such a ant. What do they look like?

they are called cow ants because cow fall in there nest and they sting the cows to death from what i heard. They are close to the size of a yellow jacket real furry and red/orange and black stripes. I have only seen them twice and they are very nasty and can put the hurt on you real quick.

Well, since you've been awesome at giving me advice on MD's... :)

I know you said no poison, however Borax works extremely well on most ants. It's natural but still you don't want to ingest it.

We had a substantial ant problem a couple of months back and I tried a couple of different mixtures of sugar, Borax and water. Basically, it needs to be a 2:1 ratio of sugar to Borax.

Mix the dry ingredients and then add just enough water to make it like a wet concrete. Even if all the sugar granules don't dissolve in the mix, they will in the heat.

Find the path that these ants are traveling and pour the mixture on and around the path. If you can find where they're living its also a good idea to place it there but they'll being it back to the nest.

Basically, they like nectar and this mixture is tasty for them. The Borax, however, creates gases in their gut and they can't rid themselves of it causing their insides to pretty much rupture. The key is to make the right mixture so they don't die before getting back to the nest.

Did you decide on a detector?

they are called cow ants because cow fall in there nest and they sting the cows to death from what i heard. They are close to the size of a yellow jacket real furry and red/orange and black stripes. I have only seen them twice and they are very nasty and can put the hurt on you real quick.

Sounds like some kind of monsters. Be careful.

Actually called "Ground wasp" if i'm not mistaken. Take a stick and pin him to the ground and you can actually hear him squeal. Won't hurt it, just makes it mad.

That's what I was going to say.They are loud thats's for sure.You can also slowly put you foot (with shoes) on them and exert your body weight on them and when you remove you foot they are un harmed.I have never been bitten by one and don't care to.If you have not seen 20 or more I don't think you have a problem.Ken

That is actually a female wasp. She has no wings and will sting the h*** out of you. The male has wings, she's stuck to crawling around on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom