Clay Pipe

Lee1968

Elite Member
Civil War Era Pipe?

I found this walking the creek that runs through my property. I found almost exact examples online, and they are labeled "Civil War Era Pipe".

20190224_164805.jpg

I was walking the creek on my property and found this clay pipe. Examples online are labeled "Civil War Era Clay Pipe". :grin:

20190224_164805.jpg

I have found lots of pieces of broken pipe stem but I have never found a pipe bowl. Nice job congratulations.

Very cool! I have half of one that's very similar, if not identical. Dug it in a hut on a yankee winter camp. It was split down the middle, so just found one side of the bowl. Congrats!

Very cool! I have half of one that's very similar, if not identical. Dug it in a hut on a yankee winter camp. It was split down the middle, so just found one side of the bowl. Congrats!

Thanks! At first I thought it was trash and I moved it with my foot, and just kept going. I was looking for old bottles, and on my way back up the creek, I saw it again and decided to pick it up.It looked like "something", but I wasn't sure what until I looked it up online. Makes me wonder how much good stuff just gets passed over.

Thanks! I passed it over once because I didn't know what it was. (My ignorance.) It wasn't until I saw it again that I thought I should pick it up.

Awesome eyeball find, Lee! Yeah, it sure does make me wonder how much stuff goes unrecognized and passed over!

Like Dan B. said, I've found lots of old clay pipe stems in the farm fields I hunt (in fact, I learned to recognize what they were from him!), but never a pipe bowl...at least not one that I recognized and picked up ;) Very cool find!

Bottle diggers frequently find these. They are rather common if you find civil war period dumps. I have dug privies around old taverns and have found intact pipes. I have several shoe boxes full of bowls and stems . Some are very ornate.

Very nice! Finding a clay pipe in that condition is pretty rare. I have yet to find one.

Great shape.:D
As others have mentioned, stems are much more common, I probably have about 15 pieces.
I have only ever found one small piece of a bowl.

Very cool little find. Like most others, I have attention deficit for those eyeball finds!

Back
Top Bottom