Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 05-17-2019, 08:10 PM

Default Need Waterproof Headphones

In the market for waterproof headphones for the NOX.

What choices are out there?

I know about the Minelab ones, for $150 everywhere. Not sure how good these are in terms of how loud they are and comfort.

There's another brand, Gray Ghost? That I think works with the NOX

Saw some Earbuds for $50 ....

Any other options?

Anyone know of any deals or discounts on the Minelab or Ghosts?

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 PM
Elite Member

Once you determine which headphones you want then call a couple forum sponsors and see if they can help you with the price. It never hurts to ask and I always do.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Elite Member

I bought the grey Ghost due to the volume issue with the ML

Old 05-17-2019, 09:08 PM
Elite Member

I got the yellow minelab ones. One thing to keep in mind, they have a screw down connector, pretty sure this is ESSENTIAL so you do not flood your machine.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:48 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

I have Tony Eisenhower's and I really like them. Very comfortable and sound great!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 PM
Elite Member

Default +2

Tony's phones, All Clad , if you need the info just pm me, Earl

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 05-17-2019, 11:03 PM
Freshwater Shark

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
I have Tony Eisenhower's and I really like them. Very comfortable and sound great!
I have a pair of Tony's I will sell for 150.00 including shipping. Used once. They are not loud enough for me to dive with. The Nox is NOT a diving machine.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:42 PM
Elite Member

Default All Clad

Tony currently has upgraded the speakers and end connector, the new version 2 , sounds are nice, i had version 1, i sent mine back to him for the upgrade to verson 2 , Earl

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 05-18-2019, 06:18 AM
Elite Member

Patriots, Tonys..... both are water tight. My suggestion thou is look around for a pair with SPEAKERS if you dont intend on getting the headphones snorkel wet.

D. Meeker

Old 05-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Forgive my ignorance. What do you mean by speakers? Don't they all have speakers?

The Minelab has volume issues? I think I read that once before. My hearing is ok, not perfect, but I'm not deaf or that old yet. If the Minelab ones are not loud, that will be a concern.

Thing is, beaches we hunt are very crowded, busy and loud. Add in the surf noise...I usually have the Nox set to 25 volume (max) using cheapo earbuds when hunting the shoreline. At volume 20, I can still hunt but I will miss those lower, deeper tones. I can't hunt at night, or very early mornings because I'm still a working class wageslave. So it's always prime time at large tourist beaches.

I want waterproof ones so that....

1. The connector screws in to keep the integrity of the system. I heard the jack on the Nox is still waterproof; however, the reason it screws in is to keep water away from the headphone jack to stop audio distortion and issues. But the machine is safe even if jack is exposed. Not sure how true, not interested in testing that lol.

2. I will NOT be scuba diving or snorkeling. Waterproof is important since I'd like to get maybe waist or chest deep in, and if I drop the headphones in the ocean it won't be the end of them. Or, there's always that high wave that comes in and slaps one across the head.

Comfort is a last concern. A luxury. Would like to have, but the other factors outweigh it.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:08 PM
Lunch Time Bandit

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
whats good bro? So Tonys headphones are worth it? I need to get a pair like asap lol. Need to get the Nox in deeper water. oh and whats his price?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

tony eisenhaurs or gray ghost ampibians are very good

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 05-18-2019, 07:43 PM

I have Tony Eisenhaurs for my MDT-8000 and a pair of Gray Ghost on the Nox and CTX. Tony's are a very good fit and I hear less outside noise compared to the GG. Both are very good.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:04 AM
Elite Member

After exchanging a few emails with Tony Eisenhower, I ordered a pair of his headphones and I’m so glad I did! They block out lots of ambient noise, there’s plenty of volume, and they’re so comfortable!

Old 05-19-2019, 07:09 AM
Elite Member

Some use Piezos.... mostly water headphones use these because they are easily sealed. Most dirt phones use speakers.... audiosears seems to be the choice. Speakers tend to have a higher volume and clearer crisper tones. Depending on the machine speakers can have less modulation. Piezos are better used in AM, they have good modulation, they are easily sealed.... but because of the way most are sealed lack the volume speakers give..... and depending on what is used and how much they can very in how targets sound even in the same type headphones. Those connectors are pretty easily made and can be put on about any headphone. still..... two thumbs up for Tonys.

D. Meeker

Old 05-19-2019, 03:14 PM
Elite Member

I have the grey ghost amphibians on my Xcal. According to my audiologist I have Profound Hearing Loss. I get plenty of volume with or without my hearing aids.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:16 PM

Who manufactures the grey ghosts? I find retailers, but not a OEM.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:08 AM
Elite Member

Ron Delgado........ THE GOLD DIGGER METAL DETECTORS bought DetectorPro from Gary Storm.

D. Meeker