Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 05-16-2019, 06:00 PM
Supporter

Default Hunting Civil War Relics in a creek question

I have got a good permission to hunt along a creek near Pickets Mill battle field (not in the park) area. The creek is good size about 30 feet across, high banks about 15-20 feet and sandy, gravel and some bedrock bottom areas.

I will be using my nox 800 and have stock, 6" and 15" coils. Any strategy you could suggest about hunting this creek. I am pretty much limited to the creek area.

thanks for any help.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM

Hunt slow...is a permit required down there to hunt rivers and creeks? It's required here in Virginia. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by hanoverdigger View post
Hunt slow...is a permit required down there to hunt rivers and creeks? It's required here in Virginia. Good luck!
even if its on private property? ill be going to a farm in Va. this Friday my father in law just got. it has 2 fairly creeks running through it. both knee deep. we don't need permits to get in the creeks here in PA.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:15 PM

You may be ok on private property. With the temps in the 90's this week, creek hunting sounds like the ticket to beat the heat! Don't forget to post up those finds. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 PM

If you’ve got permission by gosh hunt . You start worrying about everything and you’ll end up only detecting in your backyard. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gaspipe View post
If you’ve got permission by gosh hunt . You start worrying about everything and you’ll end up only detecting in your backyard. Good luck.
just asking. I detect all the creeks around in Gettysburg. this Friday will be the first time I ever detected out of state. ill be on a private farm in Virginia with a wide creek. i just like to cover my bases.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:02 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by hanoverdigger View post
In Georgia all rivers are pretty much fair game and the same with the creeks. Now if the creeks run through some farm land I would always get permission from the owner. But where I hunt is the suburbs of North Atlanta and it is a mixture of neighborhoods, office parks and shopping centers and nobody really cares what you are doing in the creeks.

One of my favorite 1800's mill sites is down a large hill from the back of a Kroger grocery store. The only people you have to watch out for is the homeless guys living under bridges. Never had a problem with them, but I still am aware of them as I am anyone I find in the brush areas around a creek.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

good luck at least you can cool of when you get to hot ,hope you have a good scoop to dig with

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 07-15-2019, 02:48 PM
Elite Member

Watch a few videos by Aquachigger on youtube, he seems to have a great technique.