The Downside To Field Hunting Is...

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
...Aluminum has absolutely no shot versus several decades of farmers’ plows! You might be thinking, “So what - let Farmer Joe grind those Coke and Bud Light cans into oblivion” , but not me!! As a lover of merchant trade tokens, I dread what plow blades can do to the aluminum variety.

Weather was gorgeous here on Sunday, so I went out for a night hunt in a field permission after the kids were in bed. I eventually got over an absolutely solid 17 signal in all directions using the EQ800 in 50 tones - a rare tone/number in this field, and the quality of the sound left no doubt this was something interesting, so I was instantly excited....but my heart immediately sank when I saw the target!! The glow of my headlamp was enough to see the incuse lettering of an older token, but I could also simultaneously see the devastation wrought by countless passes of a Farmall :no: :

6CDB8109-AA92-4F16-B214-DE6717990B40.jpg

Despite its condition, I’m pretty sure I can read all of the lettering. “Good For 5c In Trade” is clearly readable in an usual top-center circle position, and I can make out “The Maine” underneath, which is probably the name of the establishment. The back appears to be blank. No other words seem to be missing, so no town name or proprietor to help nail down an ID, making this one a Maverick. But tokencatalog.com has some interesting historical information on a different “The Maine” token that might generally apply to this one, as well. Apparently several bars and saloons around the country were renamed “The Maine” to capitalize on the fervor over the sinking of the battleship USS Maine in Havana Harbor in 1898...”Remember the Maine” was a defining slogan of the day, and it propelled public sentiment toward the Spanish-American War. If that’s how the establishment for this token got named too, it’s a pretty cool Maverick!

Pic showing the back:

79E86802-F1D9-4767-A6F0-6E71D881CC6F.jpg

Why is it that aluminum tokens seem to always be affected by the ground conditions or a plow, and a aluminum can or a pull tab seems to live forever. Well it's a good thing that you were able to pull off some details from that token. I know how you like your tokens.HH

As evenly spaced as the cuts are, I’m gonna call it “bored kid with wire cutters”.... much like “bored kid in bottle dump with BB gun”...he is everywhere!

I agree. Those cuts in the edges are evenly spaced and seem to have also been deliberately twisted a bit. Attempt to make a "windmill fan" type of disk? I think what you have here is not the victim of a harrow or plow, but rather a few idle minutes for a kid with a pair of Dad's tin snips.
OR an attempt at some kind of home repair job using the token to replace a part from some gadget.

As evenly spaced as the cuts are, I’m gonna call it “bored kid with wire cutters”.... much like “bored kid in bottle dump with BB gun”...he is everywhere!

I was bored kid who used to pound pennies into tiny bowls with a ball peen hammer, or shoot them with my .22. :laughing:

Cool find even if it is all chewed up! Aluminum tokens don't fare well around here either.:(

Thanks Waveoff - I always love my tokens, regardless of condition!

Youch! As chewed up as that one is, it still makes for a nice piece of evidence for your location. Very interesting farm field find!

Thanks Foragist! The location definitely has some nice history - it’s been a slow but steady producer for the last year that I’ve been hunting it :yes:

Why is it that aluminum tokens seem to always be affected by the ground conditions or a plow, and a aluminum can or a pull tab seems to live forever. Well it's a good thing that you were able to pull off some details from that token. I know how you like your tokens.HH

A million years from now, some alien archaeologist will be digging around on Earth, and the only trace of us they’ll find is plastic, cigarette butts, and a zillion pull tabs!! :lol:

I agree. Those cuts in the edges are evenly spaced and seem to have also been deliberately twisted a bit. Attempt to make a "windmill fan" type of disk? I think what you have here is not the victim of a harrow or plow, but rather a few idle minutes for a kid with a pair of Dad's tin snips.
OR an attempt at some kind of home repair job using the token to replace a part from some gadget.

Interesting!! I had noticed the even spacing too, but chalked it up to some weird symmetry from rolling along under a moving disc plow. But now that you mention it, the damage really does seem almost too symmetrical - “bored kid with tin snips” is starting to look like a pretty viable explanation! Too bad he chose to wile away his hours defacing a beautiful token, but at least it kept him out of the bottle dump for a short time!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom