San Francisco today.😁

metaladdict

Elite Member
I went to potrero hill rec center and managed to eek out a 1958 dime...yay.😑 Better than just clad though.
That SF soil sure is mineralized, it was an iffy signal.
I think that's silver #7 fty😀

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_185246753.jpg
    IMG_20200705_185246753.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 463
Sweet! I'm afraid to hunt in SF. I fear there will be a lot of negative reaction to digging holes in their beloved city!

Congrats on the shiny dime! How mineralized is SF soil? I only know the AT Pro, I ground balance here in Western Montana at about "82" - the worst place I've ever detected was Butte Montana with a GB at "94" my detector did not work too well with that high level.

Congrats on the shiny dime! How mineralized is SF soil? I only know the AT Pro, I ground balance here in Western Montana at about "82" - the worst place I've ever detected was Butte Montana with a GB at "94" my detector did not work too well with that high level.

I don't know, I've been using the Equinox in multifreaquency and in certain places I get falsing,emi and lots of trash. The last place I hunted in San Fran had natural rocks about 5 inches down and I'm sure they weren't helping at all.

I found a penny and a large nail in SF at a park open space in the Lower Sunset district many years ago. I had just gotten my first detector and had to pack up the very next day to move out of the country as I had finished university. Now looking at Google streetview there are so many potentially great places to detect. Like the Panhandle section of Golden Gate Park and the super wide curb strip on Sunset Blvd in the Sunset District and Park Presidio Blvd in the Richmond. Buuuuut that place has become way too expensive to retire to.

I went to potrero hill rec center and managed to eek out a 1958 dime...yay.😑 Better than just clad though.
That SF soil sure is mineralized, it was an iffy signal.
I think that's silver #7 fty😀

That's one SF park that I haven't ever hunted. There's some others in SF that will still put out multiple wheaties and a few silvers any time I'm in the area. But others there have been "pounded to smithereens". Or are so blighted (ghetto zones) that I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole. Quite a mix of ingredients there, from park to park :)

But funner yet is when they scrape a park's turf to prepare for renovations. This has happened 5 or 6 times over the past 15-ish years, at different parks there, as a result of a bond initiative approved by voters, back in I think the 1990s, to overhaul a long list of parks. Some of those park scrapes have been monumental. Did you read the article we wrote for W&E about the famous Garfield Square scrape ?

Sweet! I'm afraid to hunt in SF. I fear there will be a lot of negative reaction to digging holes in their beloved city!

The SF parks are all hunted no problems. Provided your not sticking out like a sore thumb begging for attention.

That's one SF park that I haven't ever hunted. There's some others in SF that will still put out multiple wheaties and a few silvers any time I'm in the area. But others there have been "pounded to smithereens". Or are so blighted (ghetto zones) that I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole. Quite a mix of ingredients there, from park to park :)

But funner yet is when they scrape a park's turf to prepare for renovations. This has happened 5 or 6 times over the past 15-ish years, at different parks there, as a result of a bond initiative approved by voters, back in I think the 1990s, to overhaul a long list of parks. Some of those park scrapes have been monumental. Did you read the article we wrote for W&E about the famous Garfield Square scrape ?

The SF parks are all hunted no problems. Provided your not sticking out like a sore thumb begging for attention.

Yeah most parks like petrero hill have been redone(ruined):no:
I am still going to try some smaller ones there anyhow.
I could find recently dropped gold, who knows?

Yeah most parks like petrero hill have been redone(ruined):no:
I am still going to try some smaller ones there anyhow.
I could find recently dropped gold, who knows?

I hunt SF parks all the time and have managed to eek out 25 silvers over the past 9 months or so. Even picked up a seated dime in GG Park. They are trashy and the soil varies a lot from place to place, but there’s some good stuff still out there. Never tried Portrero Hill, though I did talk to another detectorist who said he found silver there too.

Congrats on finding the silver dime.
Thank you, not easy in SF.
Congrats on the silver Rosie! :hi5:
Thanks!
I hunt SF parks all the time and have managed to eek out 25 silvers over the past 9 months or so. Even picked up a seated dime in GG Park. They are trashy and the soil varies a lot from place to place, but there’s some good stuff still out there. Never tried Portrero Hill, though I did talk to another detectorist who said he found silver there too.
Your doing alright! I know GG park is tough for me,never found much there. I rarely go to the city because of high bridge toll and parking meters and so much congestion.

.... I know GG park is tough for me,never found much there.....

GGP used to be fun. At zones like Big Rec. But in these latter years, all the 4-star gimmees are stripped out.

There's other parks in SF that still put out oldies though, that didn't get as much yester-year pressure.

GGP used to be fun. At zones like Big Rec. But in these latter years, all the 4-star gimmees are stripped out.

There's other parks in SF that still put out oldies though, that didn't get as much yester-year pressure.

Last week I detected Washington historic park a little but it was redone.:no:

Last week I detected Washington historic park a little but it was redone.:no:

Are you talking about Washington Square, at Stockton St. x Filbert St ? If so, yes that was all just redone last year. We pulled hundreds of silvers out of there. Back to even a few reales, a cob and some LC's surfaced ! It's all new turf now, over most of it. But it was fun when the tractors pulled off 6" to 10" :cool3:

Are you talking about Washington Square, at Stockton St. x Filbert St ? If so, yes that was all just redone last year. We pulled hundreds of silvers out of there. Back to even a few reales, a cob and some LC's surfaced ! It's all new turf now, over most of it. But it was fun when the tractors pulled off 6" to 10" :cool3:

DOH! I'M too late again!:no:

Back
Top Bottom