Out early to beat the silver COIN drought. Mission Accomplished.

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
Yesterday I returned to an early 1900's school yard with a mission to dig my first silver coin since March.

I've been there on short trips and there's no doubt it has received attention from other detectorists. But, I've eked out a silver dime and six wheats. So, I got there bright and early so I could put in the time, and also beat the heat.

They also left a lot of Jefferson nickels behind, and the date profile on previous trips suggested that if I kept harvesting them then I could luck into a silver war nickel. I was also wondering if a Buffalo would show up. The dirt has the age for it.

Long story short, I was able to pull a couple of overlooked high conductors, including a couple of green wheaties that gave funky--but definitely a coin--signals. I bet those things have been under a coil many, many times. Alas, while any of those high conductors could have been overlooked silver, it was not going to be a dime or quarter that broke my silver drought.

The 1936 Buffalo popped up about halfway though the hunt near an old tree. Barely two inches deep given the constant erosion and lack of grass. About an hour later I was just about ready to head home when I decided to make another pass about two feet off of a walkway and out popped the 1944 P silver nickel. Satisfied, I headed home.

As you can see in the photo, there's virtually no recent clad. That's surprising because the school is still in use with lots of houses within walking distance. If somebody is detecting the place a few times a year then they must be going 100 miles an hour or only "digging" the shallowest of high conductor signals. (Hey, not everybody physically can or even wants to go after deeper coins.)

On the way home I received a "right then and there" permission from an owner checking in on the progress at a 1900 house rehab renovation. It didn't take long to forget my hunger pangs and the rising afternoon sun, but I'll share that story and the finds in another post.

Attachments

• dfg34534g5sdfh34.jpg
    dfg34534g5sdfh34.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Nice group of finds and congrats on ending your silver drought. I'm really not surprised about no recent clad though because even though it's a school, the kids don't really need to bring money to school anymore. The parents pay for their lunches and snacks online nowadays. Good luck at the 1900 house rehab when you get to hunt it.

Nice group of finds and congrats on ending your silver drought. I'm really not surprised about no recent clad though because even though it's a school, the kids don't really need to bring money to school anymore. The parents pay for their lunches and snacks online nowadays. Good luck at the 1900 house rehab when you get to hunt it.

Thanks! I detected the permission right on the spot!

I'm not sure my kids have ever carried money to school other than cash in an envelope for field trips, picture day, etc....

I don't detect schools a lot, but I have seen a bit of variation. I've found plenty of newer clad at a few schools. At least, compared to what I find on my typical private permissions anyway. Nothing like what you find.

Not having any sports fields hurts the clad potential enormously, but when the school is a park like space within a residential neighborhood one would think you'd get more clad.

Last edited:
Nice write up and hunt. I like those barren, grass free, areas around old trees. Just like you, I've found shallow oldies there.

Looking forward to the report on this new permission. Who needs lunch when you hava a new permission??? Our stomachs are quite similar!

Nice hunt!

Thanks!

Great finds! Nice job on the nickels!!

Thanks! I'll work with what the dirt can give me!

Nice write up and hunt. I like those barren, grass free, areas around old trees. Just like you, I've found shallow oldies there.

Looking forward to the report on this new permission. Who needs lunch when you hava a new permission??? Our stomachs are quite similar!

Yep. The oldies aren't always deep. The permission turned out great and it had some shallow goodies, too. I'll post it within the next few days. Still need to do some cleaning and take photos of that group.

Very nice and persistent hunt, congrats on the Shiny Nickel, another silver for you!

For all of the talk about detectors, we all know that it really comes down to putting in the time, doing it on spots with potential, and really knowing whatever machine you have.

Good hunting !!!

Thanks!

Good job on that pair of nickels! :grin:

I don't get tired of the old nickels, and a shield nickel is on my list for this year. I'm still "missing" 5 of the 11 war nickel varieties. Gotta catch 'em all!

Nice to get a little nickel joy once in a while. Congrats on breaking the silver coin drought! Since March? Yeah, that's a drought.

I'll just say that when it rains it pours, because the permission I detected on the way home gave up more shiny goodies. Hopefully that's a sign it won't be another 3 months before I find more!

Love those war nickels and the Buffs are one of my favorites. I like digging Buffs more than the Vs. Congrats TS on breaking the silver slump, the wheaties and a little clad to boot. Good job, Stay safe, Mark

Nice group of finds and way to dig those weird signals that others probably pass. I love digging those types of targets. Sometimes they are junk but other times you get rewarded. Congrats!

...I was able to pull a couple of overlooked high conductors, including a couple of green wheaties that gave funky--but definitely a coin--signals. I bet those things have been under a coil many, many times.

Nice hunting, TS...congrats on breaking the silver drought! Buffs are always a welcome sight also...they’re certainly pretty rare for me. And thanks for another interesting report! Since I’ve been spending an inordinate amount of my hunt time at old schools and parks this year, I’ve been noticing the same idea...many of my older coins have either had skewed, funky, or otherwise unusual signals, or they were lower conductors that frequently get skipped like nickels and Indians. Every time I wonder how many other coils were over the target and either didn’t hear it, or decided to walk away. Good job knowing your detector and digging those signals that aren’t textbook, but still say “dig me, high odds I’m good!”

Back
Top Bottom