Does anyone have experience with a Minelab Musketeer Advantage...

PhilB

Elite Member
I've considered buying one for a long time. I think it would make an excellent unit for hunting iron laden home site in the corn and bean fields around here. A friend of mine had a Musketeer years ago and I was impressed with it. Are there any reasons I wouldn't like one? Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Great in iron

The Musketeer is great in the iron, but it is a heavy machine. You can body mount it though, or get the swingie thing. There is a yahoo egroup now devoted to the Musketeer with lots of great information on it. I like the 8 inch slimline coil. There are a lot of folks who used higher dollar machines, found the Musketeer and it has become their detector of choice. If you go to the recent Sov thread on "Metal Detetecting Equipment" forum. there is info on the Musketeer in that thread. Check Crazyman posts on there and at findmall. You will get the education you need to make a great choice. We have high mineralization here and lots of iron, no problem for the Musketeer! My Excalibur is great for iron/mineralization, as well as my Tiger Shark too. For the price of a used one the Musketeer is great!

Best regards,
Steve

Hello again,
For a quick education go the the "Best lightweight machine for seperation in iron" thread at MDE forum. There are 20 or 30 posts there that will be great material for you to consider!

http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/index.html

Best Regards,
Steve

Thanks for the help Steve. I've wanted to try a Musketeer ever since my hunting buddy got one years ago. He traded his off before I had a chance to buy it.:D I think it may be just the thing for hunting the old iron laden home sites around here.

Glad I could help!

Search Musketeer on findmall too. Some good stuff! Watch out though you may end up wanting a Sov GT! I do!

Best Reagrds,
Steve

No danger of me wanting a Sovereign,:lol: I got rid of mine years ago when Explorers came out and have moved on to the E-Trac. Sovereigns are good machines but a couple of generations behind My E-Trac. I would try another Sovereign if Minelab re-designed them and came out with an under 3lb detector with no-motion pinpointing and a 180 meter. I don't think there is any chance of that though.:lol:

Hi, I started the yahoo group, lots of good info there, almost everything you need to know.....
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/minelabmusketeers/
:yes:
Sven - I was looking to find the document that had Muskie modification for adding ground balance and pinpointing to the Muskie Colt. I tried to go to the Yahoo Musketeer group, but alas, it is no more. I figured coming straight to the admin of that great resource would be the next best action.

Thank you! -- Jon

Musketeer Ground Balance addition - Colt to XS/Advantage

Yahoo dissolved the group sites, no longer exists.
But, you can go to my website to get the info.
You will see the two downloads on this page
https://www.treasurelinx.com/minelab.html

If you don't find the files in either downloads, PM me your email address.

Hi Sven - I really appreciated the information and it had some of what I was looking for. I racked my brain and remembered seeing something of this on Geotech somewhere and found the following had an essential bit by Ivconic (see link and attached image). He had an image of the control board with two jumpers removed to add the pots and switches to turn the Musketeer Colt (which I have) from a Colt to an XS or nearly and Advantage. I didn't see the component list but will keep searching. I know there has to be a document out there because I have seen a Colt modified this way and it was mentioned that there was a instructional document but alas, I cannot remember the details. If I do find the details I shall post them here to make it easier for the next soul looking to do this despite the rare nature of Musketeers on the market these days.

https://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?15489-Mean-machine&highlight=musketeer+ground+balance

Attachments

• Before-Mod.jpg
    Before-Mod.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 345
I had one some years ago. Good machine, not amazing. Old but good tech analog that can't compete with newer units like Goldenmask. I had the mid and large coils. Both were heavy like many of the minelab coils..

Back
Top Bottom