Trouble in the Castle!

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Now that several days of frustration are over, KT will relate this story, perhaps saving someone some frustration!

KT, being an olde King, and just plain frugal, refuses to get an iphone, android or anything with an expensive service plan...so KT has, er..had an old Tracfone...just a plain jane cell phone...but alas...the speaker started dying and the volume was not settable, so it soon reached a point that KT could barely hear anyone who called. So, to remedy this situation, KT asked Prince John to order Him a new Tracfone and just get the minutes and number transfered onto the new phone. Simple, right?

When the new LG phone arrived, Prince John went about setting up the transfer...then told KT...anytime from a few minutes to 48 hours is what they said and it would be automatically done. KT's old cell phone immediately became inactive. More than 48 hours and nothing happened..no transfer. So Prince John called and got a service rep...rep stated that there was a systemwide glitch and they were working on it...give it another 48 hours....56 hours later, again no transfer, so...Prince John called again...got the Royal Runaround but finally reached an honest person in the company service section who asked about the maker of the phone. He was told LG and purchased off their website. He stated we have been having a lot of trouble transfering accounts onto LG phones lately..:shock::shock: so KT contacted them, got the address to return the phone, and sent it off after 9 days of fooling with it and having NO cell service! Did get an 8 day credit due to these problems. We cancelled the transfer and KT's old Tracfone came back to life, still with the dying speaker! Then KT and Prince John piled in the Royal Chariot and headed to Walmart, where KT purchased a new Tracfone flip phone for $20. Got it home and Prince John did the transfer procedure. Nine minutes after the transfer was initiated, the new phone became alive and the old one died. Long live KT's new flip phone!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just posting this to prevent another Tracfone user from going the h*ll like KT did!! Stay away from LG phones if you are trying to transfer an account and hours already purchased, if setting up new account and buying new hours, possibly ok.

Glad it eventually worked out KT !

Must be the Trafone service and LG as my wife and I each use an android LG phone with AT&T without any problems.

We also like to keep monthly costs down and not be locked into a contract so we went with a service AT&T has that is a no-contract pay as you go plan.

We pay about $50 a month total for both my wife and I, this includes 2GB monthly data and unlimited calls and text. (they have more expensive plans but we never use up all our 2GB monthly data so the lowest works for us)

https://www.att.com/prepaid/

We get the extra low rate from having our 2 plans bundled together and being on auto-pay.

Last year we got the LG Stylo 4 android phone for about $160 each and it has really good features.

I have a basic "Plain Jane" Tracfone and it costs me after fees, $21 for three months. I get 120 minutes for those three months and always have minutes left over.

I have a basic "Plain Jane" Tracfone and it costs me after fees, $21 for three months. I get 120 minutes for those three months and always have minutes left over.

KT has had Tracfone since way before Radio Shack went out of business! KT initally bought into a double minutes service, paying an extra one time fee of $100. When He buys 400 minutes, it converts to 800 minutes, and a 1 year card for $100. Looking back on the years KT has had it, He averages a cost of $150 per year total. Service days carry over from 1 card to the next. KT uses no text, no data, no internet, only as a phone, no pictures, etc. So it works out less than $13/ month....cheap, cheap, cheap! AND no plan. :lol::lol::lol:

KT has had Tracfone since way before Radio Shack went out of business! KT initally bought into a double minutes service, paying an extra one time fee of $100. When He buys 400 minutes, it converts to 800 minutes, and a 1 year card for $100. Looking back on the years KT has had it, He averages a cost of $150 per year total. Service days carry over from 1 card to the next. KT uses no text, no data, no internet, only as a phone, no pictures, etc. So it works out less than $13/ month....cheap, cheap, cheap! AND no plan. :lol::lol::lol:
I get the double minutes too, but I didn't have to pay the $100 fee you mentioned. I buy the 90 day 60 minute plan but get 120 minutes when I renew and like yours, my service days carry over. Costs me $7 per month....$84 for the year. Like you, I only use it as a phone....nothing else. I've had mine for just about 10 years now. I've yet to see a better deal.

I’m paying about $3,500 per year for 4 IPhones and home-base Unlimited WiFi (true wireless, no wireline). That includes ins. and employee discount.

If I were a single man I’d be cheap and wealthy.

I’m paying about $3,500 per year for 4 IPhones and home-base Unlimited WiFi (true wireless, no wireline). That includes ins. and employee discount.

If I were a single man I’d be cheap and wealthy.

KT is not a single man, but He is retired! That makes a difference! :laughing::laughing:

The Queen also has a Tracfone, and Prince John has an Android, but it is set up to use internet only, so no plan, no minutes. There is free internet many places now, so He spends very little on it.

I get the double minutes too, but I didn't have to pay the $100 fee you mentioned. I buy the 90 day 60 minute plan but get 120 minutes when I renew and like yours, my service days carry over. Costs me $7 per month....$84 for the year. Like you, I only use it as a phone....nothing else. I've had mine for just about 10 years now. I've yet to see a better deal.

KT suspects that was an initation fee charged by Radio Shack. His Majesty agrees, not a better deal out there! The other thing KT does not do, does not give out His number to just anyone.

The first incoming call on the new cell phone.....junk caller expressing concern about KT's credit card...KT's response? CLICK! :laughing::laughing:

I can surely understand going with a very basic phone and plan for those who only want to make phone calls and nothing else, I would also if it wasn't for all the other things we use our phones for.

Our phones are like having a mini laptop computer. Not only do we make phone calls, send texts and take pictures, but some of the other things we do with our smartphones include:

Viewing our security cameras when away from home.
Surfing internet and checking email when away from home.
Using maps and GPS when away from home.
Making free video calls.
Remote controlling of some devices at home like air conditioning.
Asking Amazon Alexa questions when away from home and checking weather forecast or weather radar maps.
When something walks in front of one of our outdoor security cameras it makes a "ding" sound on my phone so I know to check the live video feed, it's usually either a deer or rabbit, (but occasionally other wildlife) but it's still nice to be able to check :lol:
(there's many other apps on our phones, but that's some of what we can do)

KT is not a single man, but He is retired! That makes a difference! :laughing::laughing:

The Queen also has a Tracfone, and Prince John has an Android, but it is set up to use internet only, so no plan, no minutes. There is free internet many places now, so He spends very little on it.
KT I forgot to mention this is my first week of retirement at 58 y.o.(25 years w/AT&T), the job was beating me up physically, lots of climbing and being outside in zero degree temps didn’t help either. And I can’t handle the Michigan heat at all anymore.

Told the mrs. there’s going to have to be some belt tightening! :lol:

I can surely understand going with a very basic phone and plan for those who only want to make phone calls and nothing else, I would also if it wasn't for all the other things we use our phones for.

We all have different needs and there's a phone out there for everyone. Totally agree with you.

KT suspects that was an initation fee charged by Radio Shack. His Majesty agrees, not a better deal out there! The other thing KT does not do, does not give out His number to just anyone.

The first incoming call on the new cell phone.....junk caller expressing concern about KT's credit card...KT's response? CLICK! :laughing::laughing:

I don't give my number to anyone and the phone is OFF unless I want to call someone. :lol:

KT I forgot to mention this is my first week of retirement at 58 y.o.(25 years w/AT&T), the job was beating me up physically, lots of climbing and being outside in zero degree temps didn’t help either. And I can’t handle the Michigan heat at all anymore.

Told the mrs. there’s going to have to be some belt tightening! :lol:

amc rulz, Royal Congrats on your retirement...you certainly earned it! :clapping::cheer::woot::woohoo: Best of luck to you!

KT understands. First thing upon retirement KT ordered a TV antenna, disconnected DirectTV having spent nearly $12K in 10 years on their service, now get nearly 30 channels for free. Been 8 years, so figure we have saved around $9K in those years! The saving on fuel and maintenance on the Royal Chariot went to 25% of previous costs. But KT did live mostly frugal...that's cheap to most folks, built our own Castle when young, never had a mortgage.
But each to his own!

Ican surely understand going with a very basic phone and plan for those who only want to make phone calls and nothing else, I would also if it wasn't for all the other things we use our phones for.

Our phones are like having a mini laptop computer. Not only do we make phone calls, send texts and take pictures, but some of the other things we do with our smartphones include:

We had security on the Castle, found that a dog was more reliable and even feeding a large dog was cheaper!

Ipad does that for us anytime we encounter free internet...

KT's hand held GPS and Chariot TomTom take care of this.

Making free video calls.
Ha ha. Don't do video calls even tho computer has that capability.

Had programable thermostat until lightning knocked it off the wall. Now we adjust temp manually since most of the time one of the Royal Family is at the Castle.

Asking Amazon Alexa questions when away from home and checking weather forecast or weather radar maps.
Get that on the TV or Chariot radio, or portable weather radio anytime.

When something walks in front of one of our outdoor security cameras it makes a "ding" sound on my phone so I know to check the live video feed, it's usually either a deer or rabbit, (but occasionally other wildlife) but it's still nice to be able to check :lol:
When anyone comes up our driveway the dog lets us know someone is there!

KT understands it all, but decided when He retired to live with less technology.
And still living good!

Ican surely understand going with a very basic phone and plan for those who only want to make phone calls and nothing else, I would also if it wasn't for all the other things we use our phones for.

We had security on the Castle, found that a dog was more reliable and even feeding a large dog was cheaper!

Ipad does that for us anytime we encounter free internet...

KT's hand held GPS and Chariot TomTom take care of this.

Making free video calls.
Ha ha. Don't do video calls even tho computer has that capability.

Had programable thermostat until lightning knocked it off the wall. Now we adjust temp manually since most of the time one of the Royal Family is at the Castle.

Get that on the TV or Chariot radio, or portable weather radio anytime.

When anyone comes up our driveway the dog lets us know someone is there!

KT understands it all, but decided when He retired to live with less technology.
And still living good!

I understand KT, but hey, when it comes to tech stuff I feel like a kid in a toy store, it's fun :lol: ......but I do shop for good bargains to keep costs amazingly low :lol: (a few of my security cameras only cost about $20-$25 each, others more but not a ridiculous amount)

Our phone policy is: Don't call us, we'll call you. :D Answering machine weeds out undesireables.

If a number calls that we do not recognize we usually will not answer it as about 98% of the time it is a telemarketer or a robocall, we figure IF it happens to be a legit call they will leave a message, telemarketers usually do not.

People (and businesses we regularly deal with) are in our contact list and if they call the name will show up on the screen and we can see who it is.

Of course I definitely do not want to miss the call if my wife is calling me so I used this free app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twoclaw.typeyourringtonepro&hl=en_US

.....to make a "talking ringtone" that says "Excuse me sir, your wife is calling" :laughing:

That way I know she is calling even before I get my phone out of it's holder on my belt :laughing:

(you can make the ringtone say whatever you want it to, I thought about putting it on my wife's phone and have the ringtone say when I call her "Excuse me ma'am, your handsome husband is calling" I could imagine the expression on her face the first time I called her after adding that :laughing:)

Yes there are still landline phone services out there. Usually the subscriber is elderly, 95% of the time. “I’m to old to figure out a cell phone”. Even tho they’ve been mainstream for over 20 years. My father had one in his pickup back in the 80’s.

Back
Top Bottom