Would like to invest in Silver....

ewemule

Forum Supporter
Where do you buy your silver and in what style ? Ounces, coins, other ? Possibly some gold. Same place ?
Thanks,
Marty

Last edited:
i cant say i do to much investing, but when i buy silver and gold coins, i make sure their old, so its a double wammy. The gold and silver can go up in value, and because of the age of the coins, they can go up as well.

So i normally will buy some morgan dollars, or peace dolars. I have only bought one gold coin. Good luck on your investments! I normally buy mine on ebay.

Last edited:
I would buy modern bullion coins from the mint (when available), if your only goal is physical gold/silver investment. Just a thought. I'm not sure what the markup, if any, is on them tho.

Thanks for the tips.....

I won't be able to afford anything for awhile, but like to be up to speed or one step ahead. One thing I read on "cointalk" forum is usability. Like how well it can be traded, handled, redeemed, etc.. Coins seem to be a good idea, versus ounce bars of gold or the like. Nasty weather here for the next week.:( Although this rain should make short work of the last bits of deep frost.
Marty

I won't be able to afford anything for awhile, but like to be up to speed or one step ahead. One thing I read on "cointalk" forum is usability. Like how well it can be traded, handled, redeemed, etc.. Coins seem to be a good idea, versus ounce bars of gold or the like. Nasty weather here for the next week.:( Although this rain should make short work of the last bits of deep frost.
Marty

Just buy you one or two silver dollars a week, and eventually, it will all add up. I would but old ones, but that is just me.

search scrap silver on eBay...ummm nm...its all mine! lol...sometimes you can get scrap off eBay for a load less than the scrap value...then melt it down or just save it up. Sometimes I search it and think jeez, I could make a living buying scrap off eBay so cheap and scrapping it....but i havent had the nuggets to try it yet

edit: I just did a search...found 48 grams of .925 with 16 hours left for like 18 bucks...If my mind is working correctly this early thats a great deal. 925 is about 11-12 bucks a gram....but i may be off I havent scrapped any in awhile

search scrap silver on eBay...ummm nm...its all mine! lol...sometimes you can get scrap off eBay for a load less than the scrap value...then melt it down or just save it up. Sometimes I search it and think jeez, I could make a living buying scrap off eBay so cheap and scrapping it....but i havent had the nuggets to try it yet

edit: I just did a search...found 48 grams of .925 with 16 hours left for like 18 bucks...If my mind is working correctly this early thats a great deal. 925 is about 11-12 bucks a gram....but i may be off I havent scrapped any in awhile

1 gram of sterling is approx. $0.38 according to http://www.dendritics.com/scales/metal-calc.asp?WeightU=1&Units=g&Alloy=AgSt&PrOzt=&CurrencyN=USD&Markup=0

my bad i was thinking an ounce...like i sed it was early...oh and remember a troy oz is only 12 grams ....that is if Im awake yet rofl

edit: that still translates to about 50 bucks worth of silver for 18 bucks...not bad if you can do that a few times a day

I would buy modern bullion coins from the mint (when available), if your only goal is physical gold/silver investment. Just a thought. I'm not sure what the markup, if any, is on them tho.

Thats the one , end of the day silver is silver and it wont matter if its 100 years old or minted yesterday in as far as an investment in silver goes.
You want to invest in old coins is a different matter entirely.
Go for Canada maples dude , purest on the planet at 999.9 and reasonable price.
Buy bulk from the mint and youll see a price of $16 per oz.(500)

Apmex

This is the best place I have found so far to buy silver on the net. They are very good about letting you know exactly what they have in stock and they are very fair on their prices. Check out the industrial silver. some of it can be bought for only $0.99 over spot! They are also having a sale on Maple leaves right now. :yes::yes::yes:

We have bought from Apmex too. Good company to deal with. We were buying silver Eagles till the economy took a dive:mad:. Maybe after things get back on track we will get back into buying silver. I would like to :Dbuy more old silver coinage as well. I have seen some on ebay I like......BUT!.....I'm kinda afraid of some of the things I see and some of the stories I hear about people getting burned on ebay.:shock:

I've bought from JM Bullion and Apmex. They sell both gold and silver. Coins are the best medium for precious metals, as apposed to bars. Bars are more likely to be faked, so that coins are more liquid and easier to dispose of.

I also have a relationship with a local bullion dealer, which is great because I know I always have an outlet that will buy my products at spot or slightly below (depending upon what product it is). Make sure you know where to sell your stuff without taking a big discount below spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver and gold are not investments, they are insurance against a failing fiat currency. Terrible track record as an 'investment' over the last five years. You'd be better off playing the stock market, I had a gain of almost 30% last year. With what little PM's I hold, I'm under water.

This is a good topic...sooner or later, all Detectorists are drawn into this conversation...The value of PMs that is...What are our finds actually worth? A guy finds a Merc dime, non key date, and wonders, then researches values....

Its sort of disappointing, what with all the effort, skill and expense invested to 'find' the danged thing..."Horray for You! What a trophy!" we all cheer, but in reality concerning Values.....You could of sniped up the same dollar amount in clad in just about any old totlot in @10 minutes or less...Hell, a guy can dig through a dumpster for empty redeemable cans and basically pull a Walker Half several times per week easy...A guy could change their own oil and pull a Peace dollar in the process, a fellow could mow their own grass and easily reward themselves with a pair of Morgans! See?

A guy could skip that Mcdonalds meal and be ahead a Barber Half!...A guy could quit smoking and be ahead a Ben Franklin Half, plus a SLQ every danged day! A person might even want to do nothing but snipe through the reject tray at the Coinstar to pull massive silver!

Just on these concepts alone, without even going out to hunt with the detector, just by quitting smoking, a guy could have 365 BF Halfs and 365 SLQs per YEAR! Or buy 20 1/10oz New from the mint gold coins per season!

Imagine the possibilities when you know PM Values! If a guy could just quit smoking, stop buying McDonalds, and focus on snatching empty cans!!! Hell! Today...one small cup of Starbucks coffee is worth 3 Mercs! Hell, just buying a Snickers bar nowadays costs a guy a Merc!:laughing:

Last edited:
I've bought from JM Bullion and Apmex. They sell both gold and silver. Coins are the best medium for precious metals, as apposed to bars. Bars are more likely to be faked, so that coins are more liquid and easier to dispose of.

I also have a relationship with a local bullion dealer, which is great because I know I always have an outlet that will buy my products at spot or slightly below (depending upon what product it is). Make sure you know where to sell your stuff without taking a big discount below spot.

Just an FYI, this post resurrected a very old thread.

Silver and gold are not investments, they are insurance against a failing fiat currency. Terrible track record as an 'investment' over the last five years. You'd be better off playing the stock market, I had a gain of almost 30% last year. With what little PM's I hold, I'm under water.
Ditto

I buy silver bullion, rounds and bars. Typically they are 1oz but I do have a some that are 2 or 3 oz. I also have a few grams of gold. I watch prices and buy as they drop and get them from a local store. He usually sells them to me just a bit over spot price. Occasionally I'll even get some silver dollars from him 50 cents over spot. I always pay cash so I don't use money that I don't have and so it's more secure. :ewink:

Back
Top Bottom