Help! Need to quit smoking, and it's my wife's fault!

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Okay, the title was meant to be funny but it's kinda true and I'm okay with trying. My wife had a stroke last weekend, she's fine now, and we got her to the emergency room within 30 minutes and the little damage that was done has already been reversed. Luckily we recognized it quick, and they were able to administer some miracle drug that busts clots and it worked pretty much immediately.

But, the doctor said she has to stop smoking cigs and therefore so do I... so, I need personal ideas on which VAPING thingamajigger to buy to help me quit. My end goal is to quit, not begin a journey into vaping or start entering cloud blowing contests. I need the nicotine (because I get raging without it, been smoking for 20+ years) but I want to be able to drop the nicotine levels eventually and quit altogether. I've tried patches, gum, e-cigs, cold turkey, and the longest I was ever able to stop was 4 months. Then I got drunk, friend was smoking, had 1 of his cigarettes and ended up buying another pack that night. I get that the craving doesn't ever truly go away, that there will still be times years later where I try to trick myself into thinking 1 would be okay and I'm pretty sure I can make it past those times....but I have to get there somehow first.

So any vaping rigs that are suited for someone who wants to get off the cigs, and eventually phase out nicotine completely? I think this might actually help be a way for me to quit this time, just not really completely sure what I'm looking for or needing.

Things I would like:
1. Needs to let me load the juice, so I can wean down
2. Cost is not really a factor because smoking cigs is way expensive anyways, but keep in mind I want to quit all smoking including vaping eventually.
3. Capacity to be able to "last" a full day, juice and charge (have 3000mAh 18650 batteries already)
4. Size, not really interested in a "box" design that controls temp ect, but if that's what you think would ultimately work then I'm open to it. Definitely don't want to buy something less than what will work, and go back to smoking cigs.
5. Ideas on other things that should be considered?

Appreciate all the help, there's just so much stuff out there it's a little overwhelming...

Last edited:
Quitting is tough. The first few times I tried where rough. Next to the last I made it a few months. The last time was in 1994. Still off the cigs. each time I quit cold turkey.. Hopefully what ever you try will work..Good luck and HH

It's difficult for sure! I went to Wal Mart and bought the Equate brand of losenges. Started with the 4 miligram ones first for a couple weeks the switched to the 2 miligram for another few weeks then I was done. I hear it takes 21 days to break a habit, it toke me longer. What also help was, I told myself, when I put the disc in my mouth, "It's time for a smoke!" Just say no and good luck.

So very glad to hear your wife is okay !

Almost 40 years ago when I was about 25 years old (and had started smoking in my teens) I was smoking 3 packs a day, (I also had an addiction to alcohol and drugs at the time) long story short, I knew I had to quit all of it, I prayed to God for help and quit everything cold turkey all in the same day, and you know what, thank God I had no withdrawal symptoms or cravings and it's been almost 40 years now !

Just wanted to encourage you it IS possible !

While you and your family's health is the most important reason, a neat side benefit is the money you will save each month, back when I quit it was only 40 cents a pack, it's much more now from what I hear :shock:

Glad to hear your wife is okay, and quitting will probably be tough for both of you. I'm a smoker, i have tried vaping but somehow it makes me cough. I know, silly, but the fact it is a cloud of vaporized glycerin plus nicotine i just couldn't take a drag on it like a regular smoke. Felt like an amateur :lol::lol::lol:
Lots of choices out there for you, different strengths and flavors, try a few to see what you like. Everyone is different, but hopefully you can find one that works for you and quit the habit for good...

I went cold turkey. First few tries I was a complete d**k to everyone around me and was smoking again in a week. I was in the reserves at the time and there was a trip planned where I wouldn't be with anyone I knew for 2 weeks. I didn't make any friends on that trip but I wasn't mean to the wife either. Two weeks was long enough to get past the attitude.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts and replies, I really appreciate it.

I'm a smoker, i have tried vaping but somehow it makes me cough.

I know exactly what you're saying. Some reason it makes my throat feel like it has a cottonball stuck in it that needs to be hacked up. I don't know if it's the humidity from the vapor or what, I'm hoping that feeling passes after a few days.

First few tries I was a complete d**k to everyone around me...

That's the reason I don't want to quit the nicotine completely right away. Between my wife and I trying to quit at the same time, we'll flat out murder each other and take the kids with us. It would be chaos in the house and there's already enough stress with the holidays coming fast. I'm hoping to completely get on the vapor thing starting tomorrow and make it through the holidays, then start cutting down the nicotine amount slowly after the new year. We're both going to be struggling, but slowly I think we can taper off and stay off.

Glad to hear your wife is doing better...

I am using a box mod... Smok ...I vape 3mg of nicotine sounds like you need more... I vape watermelon lemonade the brand is Alien Piss really... I mix it with Halo brand its called Sub-Zero... its very minty but subdues the sweetness of the watermelon lemonade.. you do not want to use tobacco flavors... from talking with many they seem to prefer fruit flavors... if you try the halo don't use it full strength it really strong that is why I put two eye droppers of watermelon to a half a dropper of the Sub-Zero...

http://www.smokstore.us/Smok-Q-BOX-50W-Vape-Kit

https://www.eliquid.com/products/alien-piss-by-bomb-sauce-e-liquid?variant=11100948737

https://www.halocigs.com/subzero-eliquid/

General Quarters is right on. Try kicking sugar first and pick up some sugar free candy.

It's difficult for sure! I went to Wal Mart and bought the Equate brand of losenges. Started with the 4 miligram ones first for a couple weeks the switched to the 2 miligram for another few weeks then I was done. I hear it takes 21 days to break a habit, it toke me longer. What also help was, I told myself, when I put the disc in my mouth, "It's time for a smoke!" Just say no and good luck.

Good to hear your wife is OK.

Wish "Vaping" was around when I quite. Going on 9 years now and no craving what so ever. I had tried many times in my 40+ years of smoking. All it took was one day I said that's it I'm done and haven't had a cigarette since. You've got to decide you're done. Just wanting to quit never worked for me it took me to tell myself I'm done.

Good luck!

Glad to hear your wife is doing better...

I am using a box mod... Smok ...I vape 3mg of nicotine sounds like you need more... I vape watermelon lemonade the brand is Alien Piss really... I mix it with Halo brand its called Sub-Zero... its very minty but subdues the sweetness of the watermelon lemonade.. you do not want to use tobacco flavors... from talking with many they seem to prefer fruit flavors... if you try the halo don't use it full strength it really strong that is why I put two eye droppers of watermelon to a half a dropper of the Sub-Zero...

http://www.smokstore.us/Smok-Q-BOX-50W-Vape-Kit

https://www.eliquid.com/products/alien-piss-by-bomb-sauce-e-liquid?variant=11100948737

https://www.halocigs.com/subzero-eliquid/

Thanks Cfmct,

I know the cheap ecigs won't work (1 step up from smoking) for me, tried Blu and Vuse and it was more work trying to get satisfaction from those than just smoking. Really thinking something like the Joyetech eGo would be about all I need, the next step up from that would be a box like you use. I don't think temp control is something that is neccesary for me to ultimately cut down, at least I don't think so but I could be wrong.

I've also heard to stay away from the tobacco flavors as well because they just lead you to wanting that true cig taste again. Watermelon flavors do seem to be popular. I'll have to find the equivalent nicotine amount to what I smoke now which shouldn't be hard. Guy I was talking to yesterday has one of those $400 mods that uses 3mg but through 6 coils, I don't want to go into anything even close to that though. Thanks for the info and links, a friend has an Alien 220 and loves it but says it leaks a little.

Thanks Cfmct,

I know the cheap ecigs won't work (1 step up from smoking) for me, tried Blu and Vuse and it was more work trying to get satisfaction from those than just smoking. Really thinking something like the Joyetech eGo would be about all I need, the next step up from that would be a box like you use. I don't think temp control is something that is neccesary for me to ultimately cut down, at least I don't think so but I could be wrong.

I've also heard to stay away from the tobacco flavors as well because they just lead you to wanting that true cig taste again. Watermelon flavors do seem to be popular. I'll have to find the equivalent nicotine amount to what I smoke now which shouldn't be hard. Guy I was talking to yesterday has one of those $400 mods that uses 3mg but through 6 coils, I don't want to go into anything even close to that though. Thanks for the info and links, a friend has an Alien 220 and loves it but says it leaks a little.

Is your friend using the rubber band like ring on his mod? If he isn't it could leak if the top portion swings out... all I need or want is the 50 watt unit... I'm not looking for huge clouds of vapor although my unit is quite capable of creating a cloud..

Whoa....Man, good thing She is alright! So the Doctor told her she has to quit smoking? Yeah, thats what they all say!:laughing: I understand the parameters you are under regarding....

If you ARE indeed gonna give it a go, heres a few ideas...

Put $10 in a jar everyday...at the end of one week, dump them out and set them on fire...repeat as necessary..

Soft wood dowels the same dimension of a cig, cut into the appropriate length, and put in an empty pack to carry around as a comfort twig to fiddle with...

Put on an endless loop of Mr Rogers reruns, or the Hallmark Christmas channel...they are soothing and eliminate stress, hypnotic actually...do not watch any News!

Tell yourself, 'One pack of smokes is of equivalent cash value to One Walker half'...the only smokes you will buy from now on is with Walker Halfs that You FOUND!...That should do it right there! You will be a raving lunatic while out running around hunting for Walkers, and the Family will be at peace in your absence!:laughing:

Ecigs absolutely work. You have to remember to have extra units or extra batteries to avoid not finding a time the batt is dead. I quit many years ago with the pen style way back before vaping was accepted or sold on the ion market. That was 10 years ago and I eventually smoked again but not until after 3+ years.

I'm new on my third week on my new ecig units,,,tired of smoking and coughing. Its gonna be easy because I know it does work. Several ultra serious friends have quit with these things.

I suggest a Nic level of 8-12mg to start. I bought 12mg and a bottle of 0 nicotine. I quickly went to a 50-50 percent mix, giving 6mgs. I also have several 3mg liquids ready for that phase.

I do use the Ego style. I don't need something giving monster clouds, but a reasonable could is something I like.

If you really want to quit cigs, just go ahead and invest say $20 or so in supplies including spare batteries, or a second ecig if the battery is built in.

Smoking cigs is primarily a hand to mouth habit, and these things satisfy the Nic dependancy and are so much better than smoking real tobacco, that you can live with these e-cigs as a replacement to tobacco, even if you never quit the electronic cigarettes.

I'll let you know how it goes for me the second time but I can you...I am already in a wonderful state without inhaling combustable cigarettes.

Lastly. Don't stress about buying the wrong style in ecigs. My smoking was costing me $14 a day in average. A nice ecig setup is close to the same.

Just get invested and get started.

You can stop with these things if you are just half dedicated. And several long time smoking friends have quit with these ecigs. Spend the small amount of money now and get started. You'll lose the desire to light up, trust me.

Here's my choice. Single coil unit, cost around $25, bought 5 replacement coils and liquids. Generally $50 total. Again, imagine the money savings after a few days of not paying for real cigarettes. $50 is chump change for a serious start.

The A1O unit is a great little unit, decent clouds without trying.

Attachments

• IMG_2694 copy.jpg
    IMG_2694 copy.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Is your friend using the rubber band like ring on his mod? If he isn't it could leak if the top portion swings out... all I need or want is the 50 watt unit... I'm not looking for huge clouds of vapor although my unit is quite capable of creating a cloud..

I'm not too sure about the ring, he's had it for awhile. It's a friend from work and he's quite a bit younger (late 20's) and into the whole full flavor social club cloud blowing clique. I just need to quit smoking and his upselling recommendations seem a little much for what I need.

If you ARE indeed gonna give it a go, heres a few ideas...

No, no and just no...

Nobody uses cash anymore, Mud. I figured you knew this from all the empty totters nowadays!

Carry a comfort twig the size of a cig, huh? With the wife trying to quit too, I think this might just confuse her even more. If there's any advancements made toward the funhouse, I'd hate for the comfort twig to get all the action by mistake! :laughing:

I'm calling the cable company and subscribing to the Lifetime Channel right now...

And thanks, Martin. Pretty sure ecigs are the easier way to go and thank you for all that good info. Sounds like just the recipe for me, I know others it has worked for as well so hopefully it takes.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for all the help guys! Spent an hour up at a shop with the lady explaining everything, decided a Smok Priv V8 had everything I needed without many extra frills. That and 15ml of 6mg apple kiwi juice and I'm out the door and spent less than one carton of cigs! Hope this works, thanks again for all the ideas and advice!

We can sit here and type out all the advice in the world, none of which will work until you change your mental attitude toward cigarettes.

Yes, I'm a former smoker. Quit cold turkey back on April 1st, 2016. I had attempted to quit a few times in the preceding years, and made it three months one time, but developed a muscle problem in my forearms and hands. I kept wanting to reach out and strangle stupid people.!:mad::laughing:I suspect you'd have the same problem. Intellectually, I knew I needed to kick the habit, but didn't have the right mental attitude to really dedicate myself to the task. I sort of enjoyed my smokes, even as society is frowning ever so deeper on the habit.

Anyway, back on that fateful Monday, I went to work like normal, and by about 9 AM, I could feel myself coming down with something. Told my boss that I should get out of there before I make the rest of the crew sick, and headed home. Spent the rest of the week feeling like death was waiting over my shoulder. I had a smoke on the way home that Monday, and it was the last one, until Thursday. (Wife can't drive anymore, so all the running is up to me.) We needed something from the store, so off I go. Lit one up on the way, had one puff, and it felt like that very first drag we all took of our very first smoke. Tasted horrible, hacked up half a lung, all while trying to drive, but that cig headed out the window right then. At that moment, my mental attitude changed enough to decide that I didn't need to ever go back to smoking, and I haven't had a cigarette since.

Yes, I've still had urges, but with the right attitude, they've been surprisingly easy to suppress. I can't say that these new events in your lives will be the catalyst that both of you need. That's only for you to decide. Hopefully, it is what you need, and it'll work for you.

It's just that it's not really the addiction that keeps you enslaved, but a mental attitude that does most of the harm.

Either way, good luck, and may you both have the willpower needed to succeed.

Roger

I know what you mean, GTS. Honestly right now, I don't have the desire to quit. I have had the desire before several times, and it doesn't feel like this. She has to quit, although she doesn't have the desire to either. She slipped and smoked three cigs yesterday, after not having any for a week. I called her on it and she balled her eyes out saying she really wants to quit. I wasn't wanting to make her feel bad, but to explore different ways that might make it easier or help. We knew me not smoking around her would help, but it's still the smell and me disappearing for 5 minutes at a time and she knowing what I'm doing when that happens. No excuse because she truly has to do it for herself and want to quit, but I want to avoid anyway from tempting her from slipping myself.

Hell, I really don't want to quit...I enjoy smoking. But anything that can help me help her to be successful is really the point right now. But if it can set me on a plan of action to be able to quit myself, then that's even better. No doubt people have quit this way and there's more than just one way to skin a cat. I've already tried several that haven't worked well for me, this is just another avenue with the hopes of leading to the same goal.

A very wise man once told me your mind is a very powerful tool.. You can do anything you set your mind to..

Yea right, Blah Blah Blah..

I quit cold turkey on 10 Oct 11 cause I got pissed at them and said no more. My wife quit one week later. Best decision I ever made..

You can do it, try mind over matter BS, but it does work.. Trust me

Good luck man..

Back
Top Bottom