Looking for a specific detector for a specific purpose

Ultra

I'm looking to rent a detector to find a lost ring and I'm wondering what might be best suited to the task. This ring is about an oz of white gold and I'm intending to cover about 100sqft of my front lawn, (after I cut the grass) which includes a ditch, right below the distribution power lines. I live on an alvar covered in topsoil (although, I imagine that soil is pretty thin in the ditch). What might I have to consider in terms of soil content? Recent rainfalls?
Or am I being way too pedantic and I should just look through https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=107109 for the best detector?

There are groups that will look for it for you.

LostMyStuff and RingFinders come to mind.

Teknetics

Euro Tek Pro with the 8 inch coil for 219.00 will do the job for you, spend 299.00 and get it with the 11dd even better, happy hunting Earl

If it's a recent drop, just about any detector will find it, excluding the cheapest chinese detectors. White gold will read much higher than yellow gold due to its composition. If you're not interested in pursuing the hobby after finding your ring, I'd recommend you get a Bounty Hunter Tracker iv from hobby lobby. With their any 1 item coupon you can snag one for around 60 bucks. It's actually a great machine, even at full retail.

Good luck finding your ring. Let us know how you do.

If it's a recent drop, just about any detector will find it, excluding the cheapest chinese detectors. White gold will read much higher than yellow gold due to its composition. If you're not interested in pursuing the hobby after finding your ring, I'd recommend you get a Bounty Hunter Tracker iv from hobby lobby. With their any 1 item coupon you can snag one for around 60 bucks. It's actually a great machine, even at full retail.

+1...for 10' x 10' area a tesoro compadre would find it no problem and then you could sell it and recoup most of your money. How long ago was the ring lost?

You could also try posting where you live. Just the town, don't have to give an exact address to avoid night hawkers. There may be some members on here who could show up and help look if you're nearby.

If you're certain the search area is that small, you could easily find it with just a handheld pro pointer such as the Garrett carrot.

But really the smartest way is to contact the nearest metal detecting club and ask for help. Almost all of them will search for free. Do not cut the grass before they search.

GL

If you're not interested in pursuing the hobby after finding your ring, I'd recommend you get a Bounty Hunter Tracker iv from hobby lobby. With their any 1 item coupon you can snag one for around 60 bucks. It's actually a great machine, even at full retail.

X2

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into them.
I live near Ottawa, Canada, so that's negative on the Hobby Lobby. I'd certainly be grateful if someone were to help out. I don't see a lot of Canadians here, but Kijiji does seem to have a few postings, so maybe some of you are around.
It's not a recently loss; it was around the beginning of the summer. I'm just very slowly accepting that this isn't something I put somewhere safe in the house, but something I dropped when I was putting all that effort into liberating my lawn tractor from a ditch.

Back
Top Bottom