Cloth Seal, Bristol Arms, Stuart Arms.

Doug

Elite Member
I found this lead cloth seal this year, I have now received the ID for the cloth seal.

"Ship on water and issuant from a tower // missing but rivet stub stamped with section of the Stuart Arms of Britain.

The extra image (by StuE) of the rivet seal face, highlights the prow of the ship, which is weakly struck.

Probably an early Stuart alnage seal. There was legislation in 1483-4 requiring the arms of the place of origin on one side of a cloth seal and the arms of the realm on the other but this seal, being at least 120 years later in date, is unlikely to be connected to this ruling."

Last edited:
I found this lead cloth seal this year, I have now received the ID for the cloth seal.

"Ship on water and issuant from a tower // missing but rivet stub stamped with section of the Stuart Arms of Britain.

The extra image (by StuE) of the rivet seal face, highlights the prow of the ship, which is weakly struck.

Probably an early Stuart alnage seal. There was legislation in 1483-4 requiring the arms of the place of origin on one side of a cloth seal and the arms of the realm on the other but this seal, being at least 120 years later in date, is unlikely to be connected to this ruling."

Cool stuff. The only thing around here from 1400 is rocks. And they're probably older than that, too. LOL

Amazing that you have such history to dig up!

Thank you for your kind comments and views.

In the ID from Stue he used a word that I had idea of the meaning or the context it was being used for the seal.

Definition of issuant

1 of a heraldic animal :rising with only the upper part visible.

2 archaic :coming forth :emerging.

Also Stue gave the possibility the seal coming from Bristol which about 50 miles north from me.

"The arms were officially granted on August 24, 1569. The arms are based on the early seals of Bristol, from which the ship and castle theme (signifying a strongly fortified harbour) developed.

The shield was in use from about the 14th century, and to this supporters and crest were added in 1569."

Last edited:
Congrats again

Doug , for the super cool old finds, your a great one of a kind guy , us forum old timers love your threads, one surprize after the next, thanks Earl

Cool, just love the finds from the UK. Closest I come is home here in "New England" lol. I've seen Roman coins from England and that just floors me. Just great targets in your soil. Super hunting Doug.

Back
Top Bottom