Bucket list belt plate

kudzu

Not from a battle area but from pre-1900's house site in VA. Found an eagle belt plate. Is it Civil War or post-civil war? Any recommendations how to gently clean it? Don't want to mess it up but would like to reveal some more detail. Current state is after soaking in soapy water and brushing it.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_6591 (2).jpg
    IMG_6591 (2).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_6602.jpg
    IMG_6602.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_6608 (2).jpg
    IMG_6608 (2).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_6612 (2).jpg
    IMG_6612 (2).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 791
Appears to be a CW sword belt plate, but can't quite put my finger on what makes me think it's not. Any pics of the back ? Either way still a cool find.

MoBob
Did a little more cleaning. Here is the back.

Attachments

• FullSizeR - Copy (6).jpg
    FullSizeR - Copy (6).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 880
  • FullSizeR - Copy (7).jpg
    FullSizeR - Copy (7).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 815
That is cool, keep us posted on its authenticity. Looks real to me however I'm far far from a CW expert. But I would had urinated myself digging one of those. Lol

That looks to be authentic to me.
Here is the one I found last year in Wisconsin.
This was also on an old 1800's homesite.

I was fortunate to meet with a curator at the civil War Museum in Kenosha, and he authenticated mine:D

Attachments

• 3-4 Civil war buckle 4.jpg
    3-4 Civil war buckle 4.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 745
  • 3-4 Civil war buckle 5.jpg
    3-4 Civil war buckle 5.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 709
It looks real to me as well..there was on the originals silver laural branches along the bottom.It was either from an officer or calvary.

Thanks to all. I am letting it dry and slowly shaking the dirt off as it loosens up. Going to Micheal's this weekend to find a display box to put this one up.

Back
Top Bottom