• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dual Field- Always Faithful!

Compass

Forum Supporter
Took the Equinox back to the beach for more hunting/testing today. When I got there I was excited to see a nice slope and quite a bit of black sand from this week's better than expected surf. Unfortunately, the Nox didn't share my enthusiasm about the black sand but maybe I just don't what settings to use.
Anyway, I didn't want to waste the opportunity so I put the Nox in the car and brought out the Dual Field- my proven performer in these conditions. The black sand was so thick that even the Dual Field was falsing a bit more than usual but I was able to find targets pretty regularly, some pretty deep. Near the end of my 4 hour hunt I got a faint signal low on the slope and kicked the target out of the mound and saw the yellow glimmer of gold in the California sunshine!
picture.php

picture.php

The Marine Corps medal is only about 1/2" by 3/8" but tests good at 10K. Not sure if it's a pin or top of a ring but it has a lot of detail for such a small piece. I haven't counted up my coins but I know I found a lot of dimes- more than 20 I'm sure. (24)
I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't get the Nox to perform better in the black sand but not surprised. Thick black sand is about the most difficult environment any detector will encounter and that's why there always seems to be targets hiding in it. :yes: I still love the Equinox and it will have its place just like my other detectors do, however, today, at this beach, the Dual Field was the best choice! :yes:

Last edited:
I still love the Equinox and it will have its place just like my other detectors do, however, today, at this beach, the Dual Field was the best choice! :yes:

Plan B. Always have a plan B:yes:
DF, Excal, now Nox...just tools in the tool box.

Along with my Excals

I have a White's TDI and a Detector Pro Pulse.

I don't have a NOX, not sure if I need it.

Using the detector pro in the water/rain? I just sold my df, have 2 tdi. Looking for something waterproof with a smooth threshold.

Btw.. that's 1 cool looking pendant. Congrats

VLF IB machines, even multifrequency ones have difficulties in black sand.

PI machines on the other hand, tend to see through it easily.

If you can stand the French language soundtrack, this long video shows a prototype of the new Manta detector - a PI acquired and being developed for production by Fisher.

Starting about 4 minutes in, the Manta detects a gold band below a bag of black sand - a Minelab Sovereign sees nothing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sdp4RG73g&feature=youtu.be

A PI with iron ID and depth greater than any VLF will shake up the beach scene - soon, I hope.

Nice save Compass! And good to see something besides the Nox in the headlines.:lol:

Nice job Compass :yes: Always good to have a backup machine. Sucks if you had to carry both a mile down the beach and back, but that's better than not having it and cursing the day away :D:laughing:

VLF IB machines, even multifrequency ones have difficulties in black sand.

PI machines on the other hand, tend to see through it easily.

If you can stand the French language soundtrack, this long video shows a prototype of the new Manta detector - a PI acquired and being developed for production by Fisher.

Starting about 4 minutes in, the Manta detects a gold band below a bag of black sand - a Minelab Sovereign sees nothing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8sdp4RG73g&feature=youtu.be

A PI with iron ID and depth greater than any VLF will shake up the beach scene - soon, I hope.

Rick.. I will likely be standing in front of the line. But the problem is who knows when the doors will open.

In Florida

I don't detect (beaches) in the rain because of lightning.

I wade with the Detector Pro Pulse and use the White's TDI on wet sand.

If we have a bit of erosion and lots of targets I'll use an Excal or Sov.

On the Treasure Coast you can't go in the water because of the salvage leases but when you find a gap in the leases use the excal.

I'm not sure the NOX fits my kind of hunting.

The competition here keeps the beaches pretty clean of junk.

Persistence and depth is everything. Plus a good scoop.

Good stuff!
Thanks Walrus!

Plan B. Always have a plan B:yes:
DF, Excal, now Nox...just tools in the tool box.
I couldn't agree more Aquaman. :yes:

Makes the job easier if you have the right tools.
So true bubbaron!

Perhaps not. I definitely like having one. It fills in a lot of gaps for the type of hunting I do and will do. :yes:

Using the detector pro in the water/rain? I just sold my df, have 2 tdi. Looking for something waterproof with a smooth threshold.

Btw.. that's 1 cool looking pendant. Congrats
Thanks Steve! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom