metal detecting Labadee Haiti

bxlarry

I'm cruising to Labadee on the 27th of this month. I already have permission from Royal Caribbean to bring my mental detector. I cannot get any information on whether I can detect the beach at Labadee. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm cruising to Labadee on the 27th of this month. I already have permission from Royal Caribbean to bring my mental detector. I cannot get any information on whether I can detect the beach at Labadee. Any info would be appreciated.

It's been my experience that if the cruiseline will let you bring it, you'll have very little problems at the ports. I recommend using a carry bag, for it, though.

Even in places where detecting supposedly requires permits, if you're in a group of cruisers, they don't care. The tourist portion is where the money is at for these folks.

If you get asked to stop, by police, you should, but otherwise, it's a go. Besides that, there's a gob of other sites you're stopping at, right? ;)

Skippy

... information on whether I can detect the beach at Labadee.....

Curious why this question isn't turned around the other way. Ie.: is there any reason why you COULDN'T detect there ? Ie.: whenever someone wonders if they 'can' detect, it's as if they think they need an express "yes you can" type "allowance". Ie.: a "rule" that says "metal detecting allowed here" type thing.

Instead, why wouldn't silence on the subject be sufficient ? Why wouldn't someone (if they were skittish) wonder if there were any rules that "prohibit" , rather than "allow" it ? In the same way that ... you would assume that skipping stones, or bird-watching, was allowed, unless you saw some rule-to-the-contrary ?

I'll be there the beginning of March. Never had a problem with RC metal detecting. Guess I'll have to bring the 6" coil now.

Curious why this question isn't turned around the other way. Ie.: is there any reason why you COULDN'T detect there ? Ie.: whenever someone wonders if they 'can' detect, it's as if they think they need an express "yes you can" type "allowance". Ie.: a "rule" that says "metal detecting allowed here" type thing.

Instead, why wouldn't silence on the subject be sufficient ? Why wouldn't someone (if they were skittish) wonder if there were any rules that "prohibit" , rather than "allow" it ? In the same way that ... you would assume that skipping stones, or bird-watching, was allowed, unless you saw some rule-to-the-contrary ?

Only he can say, but my guess is that he's heard about some bonafide bans in the Caribbean (you've seen them discussed here, I know) and wanted very much to stay out of a 3rd world jail cell. Starring in NatGeo's 'Locked Up Abroad' probably isn't on his bucket list.

Simple prudence to check before you go when the stakes can be costly. If you can show me somewhere that bans bird watching................but you cant- its just another typical Tom diversion irrelevant to the discussion.

Thing is Labadee is RC's port and the last thing RC is going to want is someone being arrested on their beach so not much of a risk of a Midnight Run happening there. Brought my CTX onboard last year. Never asked permission, etc, just packed it in a carry on case. They never batted an eye. Heading to Jamaica on the same cruise and the CTX will stay on the ship. I value my life more than a ring of gold.

Thing is Labadee is RC's port and the last thing RC is going to want is someone being arrested on their beach so not much of a risk of a Midnight Run happening there. Brought my CTX onboard last year. Never asked permission, etc, just packed it in a carry on case. They never batted an eye. Heading to Jamaica on the same cruise and the CTX will stay on the ship. I value my life more than a ring of gold.

There's a poster who has it together. Good info for the OP. :yes:

And since Royal Caribbean owns Labadee so you have permission as they allow you to bring your MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be foolish not to educate yourself on what you can and can't do when going to another island or country. If you can't do the time or pay the fine don't do the crime. I'm sure you wouldn't think it wise to go to a island and drive on the right side of the street if everyone drives on the left side. That's just foolish and dangerous. Your doing the right thing by finding out first. Then you can decide it you want to take a chance. Hope you have a good trip and find lots of gold.

I agree...... that asking forgiveness when caught in another country could loose you some equipment... jail .. and a fine. Id certainly do what you are doing.... asking the question to people whose been there done that. We have our rules..... no hunting in the water, but you can on sand, no park hunting... but you can in some.... or just plan no park hunting in some cities... and some require permits.

.... my guess is that he's heard about some bonafide bans in the Caribbean (you've seen them discussed here, I know.... .

Yes. And I agree that this is how ALL the well-meaning and sincere questions like this arise. Eg.: someone reads something scary. Ie.: someone else fetched a "no". Thus .... how can you blame someone for not wanting this further clarified ? :?:

In fact, I agree so strongly with you, that I propose to you, that this phenomenon is: EXACTLY how these "balls get rolling" (to result in eventual actual clarified "rules") IN THE FIRST PLACE., that eventually lead to the clarified rules.

... and wanted very much to stay out of a 3rd world jail cell. Starring in NatGeo's 'Locked Up Abroad' probably isn't on his bucket list....

And yes, just as you and I agree, an O.P. like this "heard something about", in posts and statements, JUST LIKE THIS in your post here. Eg.: "3rd world jail cells with Bubba". Hence, ... OF COURSE ask about, hither and yonder, "Is it legal ?" . After all, who wants to go to a "3rd world jail cell". Right ?

And then someone else will see THOSE clarification seeking posts, and THEY TOO will scamper to seek clarifications as well. And those seeing those future persons, will repeat the process. And so on, till infinity. Pretty soon, someone, to "put the matter to rest", will ask the highest up archies in that country. And ....... presto: A "rule to address this pressing issue". :roll:

See the evolution ?

.... Simple prudence to check before you go when the stakes can be costly...

Agreed. Why can't that "simple prudence" be to look up laws/rules for oneself ? And : If no rule or law said "no md'ing", then why can't that be sufficient to mean "not prohibited" ?

I agree...... that asking forgiveness when caught in another country.....

.... If you can't do the time or pay the fine don't do the crime..

... decide it you want to take a chance.....

There is an implicit starting premise in these opening statements: That md'ing is illegal, in whatever-country is being questioned. After all, why would a person "ask forgiveness" for something that "isn't illegal" ? See how your statement simply jumps ahead to assuming "It's illegal" ?

If that implied starting premise is a "given", then yes: everything else you are saying, logically follows. BUT SINCE WHEN IS THAT A GIVEN ? Isn't that what we are discussing in the first place ?

..... Your doing the right thing by finding out first. ...

Perfect. Look up the laws and rules. And see if it's listed as prohibited. If not, the presto, it's not prohibited. And BTW, if you see that is IS prohibited, I have a sneaking suspicion of how it got that way. And no, it wasn't d/t sea turtles or cultural heritage.

Back
Top Bottom