Prospecting metal detector cheap enough??

WaDetecting

I was wondering whats the cheapest detector I could get for gold nuggets/fine gold in Washington? I can't spend much due to the fact I have medical bills. I usually only prospect and hike rivers with pans and sluices but always wanted to get a metal detector. I just don't see one below $700. If you could give me some information on this I would appreciate it.

Fisher goldbug. About 400 bucks for the unit with ground grab only and the small coil. Check out some youtube vids. Seems capable enough for your needs.

I know the Minelab X Terra 705 has a prospecting mode but to be honest Iv'e never used it, no nuggets around here.
Might be worth looking at though you can pick one up used for less than $400

I know the Minelab X Terra 705 has a prospecting mode but to be honest Iv'e never used it, no nuggets around here.
Might be worth looking at though you can pick one up used for less than $400

I have been using the X TERRA 705 since 2010 and its a great detector for prospecting,I run mine in prospecting mode almost exclusively with the GB tracking activated the X TERRA 705 in my opinion is one of the most under rated detectors on the market still to this day,get the 5x10 HF 18.75 KHz which is the one coil that vary seldom if ever comes off of my 705 the 705 can be purchased new for just under $500. which is a great deal and I believe the X TERRA 705 dual pack which comes with the standard 7.5 KHz coil and the 5x10 HF coil can be purchased for under $700.

you are not going to find to many detectors if any that will see fine gold though the other detector I would suggest if you are only wanting to detect gold is the GM 1000 (Gold Monster) it is vary sensitive to really small non ferrous targets but it still will not see fine gold but vary vary vary small bits of non ferrous targets I.E (Gold,Aluminum,Lead,and Brass)

Thank you for the information. I was looking at the minelabs x terra 705 but also wondering how durable it is. Lots of rain here in Washington and usually damp in the areas I go in.

Thank you for the information. I was looking at the minelabs x terra 705 but also wondering how durable it is. Lots of rain here in Washington and usually damp in the areas I go in.

that might be a huge issue all that moisture as far as durability mine has held up well I have had no issues with it what so ever and I did purchase mine used but I do not hunt in water or when its raining with the 705 they do make a rain cover for it though but I do not know how good it works

The GM 1000 (Gold Monster) which is the other detector I suggested is a little over the price range you stated is rain proof you just cannot dunk the control box but it is rain proof,the coils can be submerged I also have it and it is a dedicated gold detector but I have found coins with my GM 1000 and it is probably the easiest detector out there to use its pretty much a turn on and go detector and like I stated it bangs real hard on the smallest of non ferrous targets it comes with two coils a what I call 6 inch hockey puck and a 6x10 coil it operates at 45 KHz the 705 can operate at three different frequencies but you have to purchase individual coils to do so

There is an E Book written by Randy Horton that can be obtained for free if you sign up on Mine Labs site called understanding your X TERRA it is full of all kinds of info I would recommend downloading it and reading it several times if you decide to purchase an X TERRA

Last edited:
I was wondering whats the cheapest detector I could get for gold nuggets/fine gold in Washington? I can't spend much due to the fact I have medical bills. I usually only prospect and hike rivers with pans and sluices but always wanted to get a metal detector. I just don't see one below $700. If you could give me some information on this I would appreciate it.

Research Pulse Induction (PI) metal detectors. They are extremely sensitive to small mass metals. The White's dual field is a waterproof PI style detector that has an adjustable pulse delay to further tune to small nuggets.

I'm also a big fan of the Garrett Sea Hunter. Having owned several of the original XLs and the newer II models, I know it works well, is waterproof and built rugged. Sidenote it is very similar to the Tesoro Sand Shark too. Anyhow, brand new both are within your budget and used they are typically around $400. The only downside is neither have the adjustable pulse delay and I don't know that they would be able to ID nuggets that are say 1gram.

Your best bet would be to find someone local (look at the forums buddies section) or find a local dealer that you can bring a few test nuggets too and ensure the machine can actually identify them.

Xterra 705

I have a Xterra 705 and I’m really happy with it for a do it all detector. I have both the 7.5 and the 18.75 kHz coils. Also there is a lot of YouTube videos and on line information on using the 705. Good luck in your search and God bless

Back
Top Bottom