"We/my kids are going to detect it"- what do you say?

nathanatfork

Ive been denied on several real promising places and the reason given is that they or their children are planning to eventually detect it.

So far, Ive just said thanks anyways and left. I have noted the date and what was said and may ask again a couple years from now.

But IVe started thinking, is there any other esponse? Id be fine with detecting behind a newbie but honestly I doubt they will ever search it. If they were going to, they would have already.

What say you.

You could actually sound excited for the interest their children have taken into the sport of detecting , and offer your vast experience in detecting as a way to help them get the most out of their detecting experience ,, as in how to notch out everything but pulltabs and running sens at 1 , and follow behind them and keep shouting out encouragements . :laughing: ,,, or just check back in a few years ,,

When people say something like that its usually just a polite reason to say no. Their kids will probably never hunt it or even want to and they know it , but somehow it seems more polite to give that as a reason than to just say no they dont want you to do it. Time to move on to another location

I've heard some have "business" cards to hand people should they change their mind. you could hand them one and say you'd love to help teach them some tips when they do decide to detect (if they really do plan to). on to the next homeowner! GL!

You might offer to split your finds for a days hunt just to get the chance to see if it produces. If they then do allow you to hunt it you'd better be sure to leave things spotless and thank them muchly and allow as how you'd love to come try it again sometime if that would be alright.?>?>?

BuznWG

That's a good reason to keep a 2nd detector. You could offer to let them use it while you show them the ropes... they keep what they find and you keep what you find. Let them know that a decent detector costs hundreds of dollars and without any knowledge of how to use it they are likely to just find some nails and get frustrated with it.

I had a good friend tell me 'no' for the same reason. He's saving his yard for him and his kids to detect... some day... when they get a detector...

I've yet cold called on a property, I think you have guts. Best leave it for a few years or really just move on. If they are friends or acquaintances of yours, you don't want them running every time they see you, that said, next time, ask them if they know anyone that would allow it and/or have some cards made up with your number and offer your services for the future. Whether questions about equipment, training or finding lost items. HH

I agree that response is usually just a polite way of saying no. But you can't really hold it against the owner(s). That's just a part of the hobby. You have done good by thanking them anyway. You can, as you suggested, ask again at a future date. Just don't pester them too many times. After getting a "second" no I would just write it off and move on for sure. Good luck in the future.

Maybe if you asked if you and say 2 others(I don't know how many children you have) would like permission, you might have more luck. You are giving them an idea when you say your family. Make them work harder to say no. :secret:

Back
Top Bottom