got permission, but.... (updated with PICS)

007tallguy

Elite Member
is the weather going to hold out? :?:

i was speaking with a home/property owner this morning and i casually mentioned about how great a piece of property he had and how every time i drive by it i get to thinking about what a great place it would be to do some metal detecting.
his next words almost floored me! he gave me a very simple "sure, by all means! any time you'd like!" :shock::shock:

he then gave me a brief history of the land, pointed out where the original house had once stood, where the old barn had once been, pointed waaaay down to the far end where there is a very old house still standing and said how it was on his land and is one of the oldest of 2 houses in the whole village! :shock: (approximately mid to late 1700's).
the land has very defined boundaries, roads on 2 sides (one is a "main drag" in and out of town), 2 school properties along the other boundaries and a thin row trees along the lines. (possibly a fence, but i'm not sure)
i asked him about the distant field i could see in behind the barn (garage), and yes, that's also part of his 11 acres of manicured land!!!
considering where the land is and the view and other factors, that chunk of land is probably valued at more than 4 or 5 million! :yes:
"stoked" is an understatement!

well, the weather here has been absolutely great this December, but it'll change sooner or later.... hopefully later. much much later.... i've got a ton of swinging to be done! :D

Pete

edit: dropped by today and did a bit of "listening" to the ground, dug a few.... yup... pulltabs, one modern penny and a few pieces of trash.
it was below freezing and a very cold wind blowing down the over the hill, so i didn't get to stay anywhere near as long as i would have liked to.

before i left and as i was thawing out, i took a few pics. :D
a couple photos show the old house, one looking behind it over the hill to the owners home and the old barn and that huge field is also part of this same property! i wish i had been speaking with him 2 or even 1 month ago while it was still warm enough to search without freezing my fingers, i could have had a lot of that area covered by now. :yes:

Attachments

• IMAG0248.jpg
    IMAG0248.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 369
  • IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 379
  • IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 370
  • IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 376
  • IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 369
Sounds like a great piece of land you have to hunt. Has to be some good finds there.

I just got permission to hunt a place that will have to wait until next spring since the ground here has been turning into concrete this week. Met a couple while I was at the vet who offered me to hunt a place in a near by town that was consumed in a huge forest fire 90+ years ago. One a a handful of homes there to survive. Sometimes the metal detecting Gods smile on us.

Hit that place quick and hard. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Sounds like a great piece of land you have to hunt. Has to be some good finds there.

I just got permission to hunt a place that will have to wait until next spring since the ground here has been turning into concrete this week. Met a couple while I was at the vet who offered me to hunt a place in a near by town that was consumed in a huge forest fire 90+ years ago. One a a handful of homes there to survive. Sometimes the metal detecting Gods smile on us.

Hit that place quick and hard. Good luck and let us know how you do.

yes, of course with the weekend here, they're calling for rain tomorrow and then below freezing temps on Sunday. :(
i'll be down that way tomorrow for an appointment, so i'll most certainly have the 'tector with me.... just in case the weatherman is wrong. but if it's fit, i may just do a little zig-zagging around and get a general feel for thing and decide on a plan of action on how to tackle that big of an area. it'll certainly be a good spring/summer project, haha!
and you're right about the MDing gods! i was... ahem... "on the job" when i was speaking with the owner. usually he's not home whenever i have to make pick-ups there (i work as a courier), but today he was there! i honestly don't remember ever meeting him in person before today, but being a long time employee with a company that has a really good standing with it's customers certainly didn't hurt either. :D
i gave him a brief rundown on how items are found and recovered and some of the things that i've found and he was genuinely interested and is every bit as curious as me about what may lie buried in his yard.

Back
Top Bottom