Not sure what this metal is. Any idea?

SilverSal

I found this this on a property built in 1826. It was about 8 inches deep. It rings up a 92 on my AT pro, which screams silver. I tested it with an expensive silver tester by a jeweler and it didn't show any silver in it. It is very heavy and hard, which throws out lead. I actually had to use a file to scratch it. No magnet will stick to it, not even a powerful earth magnet. It looks like it has been poured like an ingot. I am running out of ideas on how to test it other than sending it somewhere which I really don't want to. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 374
Wow what an interesting find, sorry I can't help, except to say, perhaps you may need to seek the help from a metallurgist and historian.
You have me scratching my head, good luck, and thanks for posting that find.

It is actually pretty shiny. I put it on the brush on the bench grinder and it shined it up without even remotely scratching or hurting it. I think the gold color was a reflection, it is grey/silver in color. Thanks

Then the AT Pro would have missed it if it wasn't a metal. I thought maybe it was cut from a bigger piece of the same stuff too. Then I thought maybe it was buried for a reason....

Sorry I left one of the "Ts" off of Babbitt.
Babbitt is a hard lead looking metal that was poured into forms to line bearing surfaces before the development of bearing inserts.
The original Babbitt alloy was invented in 1839.
Ford used Babbitt that was 86% tin, 7% copper, 7% antimony in their Model T engines.

This very well could be the answer. The county I found it in is one that the original Maxwell automotive factory was built, which became Chrysler. Probably an alloy someone brought home and it got lost. Thanks for help

I'm not sure if you have a scrap yard in your area. The one up here by me has a tool (looks like a bar code scanner) they can shoot it and tell exactly what is in it. Hope you find out...look pretty cool.
Tim

+1 I find a lot of it and it screams on the ATP. I actually found a piece with a patent date on it. Apparently the patent was for a molding that let them pour 4 ingots together with a handle incorporated into the mold for easier carrying. I believe there's a lot of tin in some of the babbot mixtures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom