Denied

Mikevet

We have a drive in movie abandoned in the early 80's. it sat dormant for 23 years. The city took it over (land donated) and it was used as a driving range. That went belly up in 9 months. Now 8 years later, they use a portable building on the property for senior yoga classes one day a week for 1 hour. There is a that stays locked except for grass cutting and the one hour yoga class.

I called for permission to detect. I explained that I don't dig holes and respect the land, clean up trash etc....her comment was, well let me check with my supervisor. She asked me, "but when you find something, how do we get our cut? ". I said I would donate stuff of any historical value. I was just interested in coins.

I waited 10 days and called her back. She said I spoke to my supervisor and she isn't interested because you would have to dig. Shensaid besides, we couldnt get our cut if you found anything. I wanted to tell her ," we'll u get a cut of my check every week." So I bit my tongue and said, " so you rather allow our city history stay in the ground and lost forever?" She said ...I guess so... Bummed!

You had every right to ask for permission for your reasons and she had every right to refuse for her lame reasons . Better luck at your next try .
HH

Never ask permission for city or county owned property. Just hunt it and if asked to leave, just be polite and leave. If you ask for permission you will almost always get a no.

I agree with pine-3874: Why'd you think you "needed permission" ? It's city property, isn't it ? The tone of your exchanges leads me to believe they had never given your "pressing issue" a moment's thought, before you asked. And now you've been a victim of the obligatory "safe answer". :roll:

Sorry you ran into someone who works for you through your tax dollars but feels that you're a nuisance bothering them. Also old drive ins are tough hunting, years and years of packed P shot gravel and crusher run you might as well be digging in asphalt and guaranteed pull tab heaven.

I know that we should always be good ambassadors for the hobby but I never ask for permission to hunt municipal owned parks, land or recreation areas. I only hunt there when everyone else is not there. I do that for two reasons: 1. No one will be there to tell me I can't metal detect. 2. No one there asking me all the typical metal detecting questions.

This day and age people are so "cover my backside" minded that they're afraid to allow anyone to do anything for the fear of being sued.

We as metal detectorist are generally law abiding, tax paying, descent people. I'd give it a couple of months to blow over and let them forget you called and go out there. You're actually doing the city / county a favor metal detecting there. Pick up ALL garbage as you hunt and if anyone shows up to run you off attempt to talk your way out of it by showing them the garbage you've picked up as a "volunteer" and then show them how you have filled in all your holes leaving no evidence that you've been there except a litter free environment.

I know that we should always be good ambassadors for the hobby but......

I consider the act of not-asking, to have been a "good ambassador" for the hobby :waytogo: Because if asking (which implies something is amiss about you or your hobby, that it needed their sanction) creates "no's" where they never existed before you asked .... then: Seems to me that actually the person who DOESN'T swat hornet's nests, is actually the "best ambassador", eh ? :shrug:

.... guaranteed pull tab heaven.

Yes. Definately a cherry-pick strategy location. They tore one out in my city, and we did well around the snack stands, which had used to have have a grassy exterior to the snack-stands (prior to being chip gravelled in the 1970s). When that pavement/chip got pulled off, we got a lot of coins there. But yes: we had to crank the disc. No time to be a hero looking for nickels . Was fun though :)

I consider the act of not-asking, to have been a "good ambassador" for the hobby :waytogo: Because if asking (which implies something is amiss about your or your hobby, that it needed their sanction) creates "no's" where they never existed before you asked .... then: Seems to me that actually the person who DOESN'T swat hornet's nests, is actually the "best ambassador", eh ? :shrug:

That's a very interesting way to look at it. I like that approach.

I'd go out there today and give it a quick sweep! Just to see if it holds something of value, to satisfy your thoughts and interest if nothing else...They have no way of telling you from the guy who called and asked...if you dont do it, somebody else surely will... without calling to ask either..
Mud

I'm used to being denied :( but I drove by this open lot probably 20 times and just didn't try it cause I was worried about permission and then my brother told me a story of a guy he works with who just found a gold high school ring it was 1950 something and I asked did he mention where he found it and it was the exact same open lot I was looking at I asked who did he ask and he said he just goes and if someone says leave he says ok I was so :mad:

Back
Top Bottom