Plate ran away with the Spoon....

Seawulff

Elite Member
I dug my first Plate....ahem....US Plate! :cool:

She's in pretty rough shape. I dug this at a site that I had a lot of luck at last year.

I got the spoon at another site, but both were dug this weekend.

When I dug the plate I didn't even know what I had, all I knew was that it was heavy and caked in mud. I threw it in my pouch and kept on swinging. Much to my surprise when I got home and started cleaning it up I couldn't quite believe what I had.

This is something I thought I'd most likely never dig because I predominately hunt in Northern Illinois. Plates I imagine are more common in states like Virginia, Tennessee, and other states that had Civil War battles and such in them.

I vaguely recall the owner of the house telling me that the house at one time served as a US military postal setup or something. The house was built pre-Civil War in NW Illinois.

Any ideas on how to clean this? I imagine it's Brass??? Maybe I should just leave it as, it probably won't clean up much better anyway.

-Seawulff

Attachments

• US Plate 1.jpg
    US Plate 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 655
  • Plate Back.jpg
    Plate Back.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 648
  • Spoon with plate.jpg
    Spoon with plate.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 638
Thanks.

I think the spoon is, I've attached a pic of the back. I need to research it a little more to make sure. There is no company name on the spoon, just the mint marks and silver. It polished up very nicely. It was very dirty and black before I cleaned it up.

Cool headline on yours too.

Attachments

• Sterling Spoon 3.jpg
    Sterling Spoon 3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 646
  • Sterling Spoon 2.jpg
    Sterling Spoon 2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 629
Awesome find!! My only US plate has serious edge issues just like that one, but that's a great find in any condition. Doesn't change the history of it one bit, and the US is still clearly visible. I'd probably use a soft dry brush to get a little bit more of the dirt off, and then leave it. But I'm a minimalist when it comes to cleaning my relics. Congrats!!

Awesome Chris! spoon is a heck of a find! and the U.S. is awesome...Congrats bro! Well done!

Awesome find!! My only US plate has serious edge issues just like that one, but that's a great find in any condition. Doesn't change the history of it one bit, and the US is still clearly visible. I'd probably use a soft dry brush to get a little bit more of the dirt off, and then leave it. But I'm a minimalist when it comes to cleaning my relics. Congrats!!

Very cool find. I agree with G, minimal is best when cleaning relics IMHO. Just a dry brushing should do the trick.

Fantastic finds Chris, congrats!!!! Don't see too many of those around here, and the silver spoon too.....

Back
Top Bottom