The Art of Metal Detecting

Video didn't show for me, but audio was fine :?: 600 hours of detecting to pay of a $500 detector? Sounds too unrealistic, unless you have a chance at quick coinage each time out, and I'm not talking pennies :(

doesn't sound to unrealistic that is 1 dollar and hour
but that is also 25 days worth of MDing straight

OZ_IL said:
Video didn't show for me, but audio was fine :?: 600 hours of detecting to pay of a $500 detector? Sounds too unrealistic, unless you have a chance at quick coinage each time out, and I'm not talking pennies :(
Could be, Depends on where you are geographically, number of people who have hunted there before you, your skill level, and of course luck.
Don't remember how long it took me to pay off my XLT, but I think it was less than 600 hrs...
Cool article, thanks

Jesse80 said:
doesn't sound to unrealistic that is 1 dollar and hour
but that is also 25 days worth of MDing straight
For me it is - it's one penny after another, but then again I don't have any nearby areas that have a chance of higher demoniation coinage. If I could just find that elusive gold ring :roll:

Yep, with the banana swing, it will take you 600 hours to find $500 in clad. A careful hunter should be able to pay it off much faster. Great video, thanks for posting it Alan!

Two minutes to understand? Ya right! That's why he was doing the banana swing, I think he needs more than two minutes with that machine.
Interesting video, thanks for the post.

Publicity for MDing is probably a good thing right? But I get concerned when someone advertises renting them. A guy was watching me MDing in a local park and asked me some questions, the next day I saw him, he said he rented a detector to try it. Well, the park looked like a war zone and I wonder how many locals thought it was me?
Not good..........

Let's see....You take a 3ft swing and the coil is on the ground for about 2 inches of that.. :roll:..hmmmm I'm thinking it will take more like 6,000 hours to pay for that one :lol:. Could it be the nickel was planted or did he just get lucky? :shock: looks awfully suspicious to me. But hey whatever it takes to get some airtime for the hobby. I just wish they would have shown it in a yard with proper digging techniques, i think that would have helped a lot.

Ahh, got this working at last.
I hadnt given media player permission to access the internet, with Zone Alarm

:roll: :roll:

The item was on a par with news items about detecting, we get over here. They always concentrate on the money aspect. :mad: :mad:

be good if they could drop the How mutch is it worth part on these videos,as although some may find it useful others will see it as a way to make a fast buck,and your national treasures will dissapper on ebay and other palces like auction houses. look whats happening in places like canada and belgium.there looking at detector bans.

vespaman said:
be good if they could drop the How mutch is it worth part on these videos,as although some may find it useful others will see it as a way to make a fast buck,and your national treasures will dissapper on ebay and other palces like auction houses. look whats happening in places like canada and belgium.there looking at detector bans.
By comparison, look at how Great Britain is dealing with it! Their treasure is not "disappearing", but is carefully monitored, while us treasure hunters are not limited in our hobby.
What you have mentioned has been discussed billions of times by both archeologists and metal detectorists, onilne and in the media. There are a few who do it for living and sell off what they find on ebay, but they are the minority.

The trouble is, in the UK it's the people who detect illegally, who make the headlines. They are not detectorists, but thieves armed with detectors. These are the ones who give the hobby a bad name, and turn archaeologists against us.

I would say that, any night of the week these people are out on historic sites, looking for items to sell on the internet.

I'm sure they also go to official rallies too, the ones who keep away from the main group and don't socialize, also not filling in their holes.

Thanks for that Allen,it was interestingly amusing.I for one would never sell what i find unless of course if i hit a hoard and had to go through the right channels.I dont do it for money and if i did i would starve within the first month.Allen ,Old Sarum is 3 miles from where i live and Stonehenge i can see from my house and sometimes i see movement there at night and get on the phone straight away.Although they are wasting there time as millions of metal filings have been spread about the area on purpose,not just ferrous but all metalic filings,so i reckon it would be a nightmare to try your luck at Stonehenge at night.

:lol:thats mad simon smart thinking by the gardiens of stonehenge.wander if the ants have started there own clan hoards :lol:reminds me of a funny thing on a beach in cornwall the same beach my parents used to take me somtimes on holiday.even then there where quite q few md,s around i was one of those kids very intriged in them and also digging deep holes after they said theres gold in this spot :roll: anyway worked there later on when i was a late teenager to early twentys and my boss used to get really fed up with md,s mainly the guys who did not respect peoples space on holiday and wander around and amongst famillys still trying to relax on the beach :(not cool md,so my boss used to round up as many ring pulls and loads of washers every few weeks and scatter them all over the place in front of his beach bar then happely watch the old md,s happely bending over 100s of times lol

Re the night hawk comments they are in fact the ones who do socialize, are most friendly and might even buy you a drink as they want to learn about finds being made so that they may pay an unofficial visit to an area after dark.
Those who don't fill their holes are either just lazy or will say when you tackle them that they have paid good money to be on the land and intend to maximise their chances of finding a few tokens and winning a prize by not wasting time in filling in holes.

Back
Top Bottom